cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Kentucky to Cody, Wyoming

smartblnde
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry if this has been asked before. I cannot find anything, but have found ways to Yellowstone.....

We are newbies with a 31 foot class 3 (2014 Itasca Spirit). We will not have a tow vehicle (after paying for the extra gas, it may be less expensive to just rent one when we get there.... using points from paying for all that gas).. : D

I have seen some saying there are driving challenges no matter which way one gets to YS, but we are going to Cody. Are there any roads without major challenges? If I am driving, I tend to get a little skittish when the road is risky.

Thank you all for any help.
5 REPLIES 5

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
smartblnde wrote:
I am sorry if this has been asked before. I cannot find anything, but have found ways to Yellowstone.....

We are newbies with a 31 foot class 3 (2014 Itasca Spirit). We will not have a tow vehicle (after paying for the extra gas, it may be less expensive to just rent one when we get there.... using points from paying for all that gas).. : D

I have seen some saying there are driving challenges no matter which way one gets to YS, but we are going to Cody. Are there any roads without major challenges? If I am driving, I tend to get a little skittish when the road is risky.

Thank you all for any help.

OK - many just say this is the way - just follow Google and go - Not so Fast - I say let's make this FUN - we will try to Stay off the I's and we will try to make the Drive as Good as the destination - Here is a MAP - https://binged.it/2K630bW - Now I'll try to get you there - here is a sort of guide/explanation of why and the Route;

First the I's will get you to the Mississippi River and Hannibal (Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn territory!) then we will Take RT 36 to just this side of Colorado - Great Road - less Traffic - Fewer trucks and IMHO just more enjoyable. (If you are not into RT 36, then you could just do I-70 to Golden, CO - trust me RT 36 is Great) Having done both we have never had anyone not enjoy RT 36.....

So now we've gotten you to Golden, Colorado, one way or the other - If you are looking to Enjoy Yellowstone and the Surrounds then You will Love this short drive into and up through Colorado - https://rec.cityofgolden.net/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/splash.html?interfaceparameter=3 - if not then Golden Gate Canyon State Park just off Peak to Peak highway or Jeffco Park Fairgrounds - Most of these require a reservation but they also have Cancellations so you can still get in. After Golden I take you out RT 6 - this is a short drive that will get you to Idaho Springs and I-70 - Honest - One of My All Time Favorite Drives - follows Clear Creek into the Rockies - Truly a Great Welcome to the Rockies Road!

Now when you get to Idaho Springs get on I-70 to RT 40 (Exit 233?) up to Granby, where you could enjoy Winter Park on the way or even the West side of RMNP at Grand Lake if you are up for it. If You feel like exploring more of Colorado either Now or after YNP, that will require another Post. Steamboat and Steamboat Lake SP is/are close as is Stagecoach SP both/all are Great. On up to a Short Drive over to the Snowy Range - just a short side drive - just one of those drives few take but once take will be remembered forever.

Now on up to Shoshoni, WY with a possible CG on the River just as you enter Wind River Canyon - another one of those Drives I've always Loved ( the River runs North and the road rises as you head north - feels like the River is running Up hill - on to Thermopolis - Hot Springs if that's for you - then on up tp Cody - Thinking this is the end - no - no - no - From Cody be sure to make the drive on Chief Joseph and then the Beartooth before you leave - this is a great primer before getting into YNP.

Note here in Cody you have a Wal*Mart so resupply - no Really things are super expensive in YNP - so get as much as you have space for as IMHO the Park is just not People Friendly when it comes to $ and selection. Just out of Cody is Buffalo Bill SP might try to get a reservation there - in Cody is the Buffalo Bill museum - which gets rave reviews - Even in the Summer it is smart to keep your Propane Filled, as it can get Cold (Even Snow :)) in YNP - Search you will find there are many spots to Boondock in the Park so if you are without reservations you can still do it - then when leaving you will head south through the Tetons and Just Beautiful.

Then on to Jackson and out through Alpine to Flaming Gorge NRA before catching Dino NM and heading into Colorado or Utah.

Hope this helps,

ps - Colorado - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/colorado-suggestions-343663.html
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
Made this trip dozens of times from as far away as Miami and Savannah. Easiest route with the least mountain exposure and troubles:
Lexington to St Peters MO (I75 to I64)
St Peters to North Platte (I64-I70 to KC to I29 - exit 10 to NE 2 to avoid Omaha double back)
North Platte to Casper (via Bridgeport & Scottsbluff)
Casper to Cody (US26 to WY789/120)
I used Rand McNally paper maps or online
https://www.randmcnally.com/maps-and-directions
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would put in Worland WY as your destination and go from there to get to Cody.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning neighbor. We live in Southern Indiana. We've been to Cody twice since 2015 hauling a truck camper. The first time we went thru South Dakota and thru the Big Horn mountains on hwy 14. I would not recommend that route when pulling a camper. The second time we thru South Dakota again but this time turned off at Buffalo WY on hwy 16. That was a better route but still some hills and turns.
If you want to avoid the mountains then I'd go I80 thru Nebraska then work your way up thru Casper and Thermopolis WY.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
See what Google Maps recommends AND get Mountain Directory West to help plan the route.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)