Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best route from Alberque NM to Moab UT sunday

kdrsas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

What is the best route from Alberque NM to Moab UT sunday I here there is lots of scenery. The weather looks good. We are driving a 43 foot Tiffin Allegro Bus towing a Jeep JK

thanks in advance
Kevin and Dodi
Kevin Dodi
2000 35' Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Class A
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Blue Ox anante 2
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/dodi.carr/1/tpod.htmlBlack Lab Sam
9 REPLIES 9

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
kdrsas wrote:
Thanks for all your input. We will be working at the moab KOA from Jan 15 until Nov 1

Thanks again Kevin and Dodi

Hope you have free electric come May.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it simple. US 550 from Abq (Bernalillo) to Bloomfield. West on US 64 to Farmington to Shiprock. North to Cortes, CO, then to Monticello, Utah and north to Moab. About 6+ hours pulling.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
191 all the way would be the easiest this time of year.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kdrsas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your input. We will be working at the moab KOA from Jan 15 until Nov 1

Thanks again Kevin and Dodi
Kevin Dodi
2000 35' Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Class A
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Blue Ox anante 2
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/dodi.carr/1/tpod.htmlBlack Lab Sam

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
You do know the night time temps will be in the teens.

550 to 64 to 491 to 191 is the quickest route with the most 4 lane.

Everyone has a different idea of scenery. Depending on the route you can have high desert wide vistas or pine forest in mountains along the way.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
kdrsas wrote:
Hello

What is the best route from Alberque NM to Moab UT sunday I here there is lots of scenery.

The weather looks good.

We are driving a 43 foot Tiffin Allegro Bus towing a Jeep JK

thanks in advance
Kevin and Dodi

Kevin,

Bing Map - https://binged.it/2D0iNYj Window Rock - Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley - Mexican Hat - RT 128 in Moab.

This is how we have traveled in the Winter, so seriously doubt you should have any issues.

Canyon de Chelly is good this time of year - no hook ups at the Monument - Mexican Hat and Goosenecks SP are both good for the photo op - Moab and surrounds - RT 128 is a MUST - Passport American site in the south of Moab location is fine as you will not be there in the daylight. I'd spend a couple nights at Canyon de Chelly and do the guided tour. Then a day In Monument Valley - get up early for the best light on the Rocks, so might take a couple nights here.

Then on to Mexican Hat and Goosenecks -really just need to get a few pic's but can stay in Goosenecks if you want.

Last Moab - RT 128 is one of the best drives in America - IMHO rivals Going to the Sun Road - the Red Cliffs and the Colorado River are both just Special and this drive shows them well.

Then Catch Arches - Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point SP are on on the table while here.

Look over Ken's Moab Link - A Primer on Moab

Great time to do Utah, just layer up keep a hat and sunglasses - keep the sun at your back for all the Photo's -

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If heading up across the state toward 4 corners, take US-64 thru Farmington to Shiprock and north to Cortez. Avoids climbing that horrible grade just west of Durango.

Since you are driving a 43โ€™ DP with a toad, taking US-550 north of Durango is questionable any time of year.

Certainly not recommended to be over 10,000 ft pulling a toad on those grades in January.

Note the cross NM on I-40 route will have lower elevations, fewer grades and imho better scenery than across NM toward the corners. Just my opinion having driven both in the past couple years.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
If you are saying the weather looks good, then you are doing this right away?

I would not go any further north on 550, past Durango, in the winter up to Ridgway/Montrose. Some will not take RV's on 550 north of Silverton and some will not even drive it in a car because they are scared of heights. If you do go up towards Durango, head west out of Durango to Cortez then to Monitcello and north to Moab.

BTW, some classic fly fishing the tail waters of the Navajo Reservoir on the San Juan River . That area is just east of Farmington.
I love me some land yachting

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
Just take 1-40 west until just across the AZ/NM border, you encounter US 191, and follow that north all the way to Moab. Fantastic scenery all along that road.

A possible less scenic but shorter alternative would be to go through Farmington and Durango (US 84 to US 550, I think; the route is obvious), and then cut over to Cortez or Dolores to 191. Exactly how you might choose to do that would depend on the weather. If it behaves, I would not turn west until I had gone north from Durango to Ridgway or Montrose.