cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beartooth highway

roadchasers
Explorer
Explorer
How challenging is Beartooth highway in a Class C?
I would appreciate any advice.
15 REPLIES 15

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
fwed wrote:
I'm not a fan of heights!!!! The Cody side is much better.
fred.

Actually the Chief Joseph Hwy can be worse than the 'tooth - esp if it's snowed recently.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
roadchasers wrote:

Not particularly hard, IF you pay attention. Stop when you can - use the pullouts to avoid stacking up traffic behind you. The road from Cooke City-Silver Gate to Gardiner is open year-round so workers can get there/back.

Plowing will start soon, but we're getting another snowstorm this week.
http://beartoothhighway.com/

And, just for kicks here is the opening sched for Yellowstone
https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2013-yellowstone-opening-and-closing-dates/
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in '82 from Red Lodge to Cooke City with a Dodge Maxi Van and a 21' TT. The van had a whopping 180HP, and 3.23 rear gears. Wonder how my 370HP diesel would do now?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of heights!!!! My fingerprints are probably still imbeded in the wheel of the rental SUV we had -- and I wasn't pulling anything. Check out YouTube as mentioned. It will give you an idea. The Cody side is much better.

fred.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess your starting point has a lot to do with the choice to tow or not. We have done this route from Cody area to Red Lodge several times in an Element and also a Jeep. Going to the Top (rest area) from the Cody side is not bad and there is some absolutely beautiful scenery and photo opportunities. When you start down from the rest area to Red Lodge, there are numerous switch backs that come quickly and you lose altitude about as quick. I would not do it in a MH of much size out of courtesy to others on the road and you WILL be crossing the centerline in order to make several of the switchbacks. By all means make the trip. We usually stay in Cody and head up to Red Lodge over the Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth. From Red Lodge back to Cody we take 308 thru Washoe and back south - good road, not mountainous at all and again, great scenery
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I was misled into driving the highway towing our fiver. I am quite experienced in towing, so it's not like a problem for me, but I would never tow over it again. The problem is the road is narrow, very curvy, often has heavy traffic and is also driven by idiots that think of it like a race track. In our first trip over (while towing) we were nearly hit head-on by a motorcycle cutting a corner into our lane, and later a pickup doing the same. The pass tops out at almost 11,000 feet and our last drive over in our pickup was in snow. I would recommend driving it in a car to see the scenery, then drive around with your Class C. It is certainly a beautiful drive.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
We've been over it a couple of times, but with only our truck. We have a diesel and FW, but we could tow over it if we had to. Having the diesel for braking is an advantage. In our drives over, we've encountered Class A's and C's, along with towables.
We went over it last September, but also just with our diesel truck. We left the fifth wheel in our Cody RV park, took the Chief Joseph Highway to Cooke City, had lunch in Lamar Valley. That afternoon we drove the Beartooth Highway down to Red Lodge, then state highways back southeast to Cody. So the loop can all be done in a single day.

Great drive and the Chief Joseph Highway was just as interesting as the Beartooth. You could also camp in one of the beautiful Forest Service campgrounds near Cooke City and make the same loop. So I would do both highways if you have time.

^^^^^^Good Advice^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
We've been over it a couple of times, but with only our truck. We have a diesel and FW, but we could tow over it if we had to. Having the diesel for braking is an advantage. In our drives over, we've encountered Class A's and C's, along with towables.
We went over it last September, but also just with our diesel truck. We left the fifth wheel in our Cody RV park, took the Chief Joseph Highway to Cooke City, had lunch in Lamar Valley. That afternoon we drove the Beartooth Highway down to Red Lodge, then state highways back southeast to Cody. So the loop can all be done in a single day.

Great drive and the Chief Joseph Highway was just as interesting as the Beartooth. You could also camp in one of the beautiful Forest Service campgrounds near Cooke City and make the same loop. So I would do both highways if you have time.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also get gas at Red Lodge because it is way cheaper than buying it in Yellowstone. It is currently $2.27/gal for regular.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am always overly concerned about running super low on fuel. Verify that you have sufficient fuel. Get fuel at least in Billings or maybe Red Lodge!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
good idea.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did it with a with a Toyota (22Re engine, 125 hp) based Class C. Pretty much any class C can get over the road. We stopped often to let others go by and to enjoy the scenery. It is a beautiful road. Take your time.
As enblethen said, use your tranny wisely going up and down. The road is steep and has many sharp curves. Let the engine control your speed instead of cooking your brakes. Let the engine spin up a bit and you won't get your engine and tranny hot.
I am going both directions on the Beartooth this summer to really take my time. We will be spending the morning in the Lamar valley watching wildlife, going over the Beartooth, have lunch at the Red Lodge Cafe and then drive back to Yellowstone.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
roadchasers wrote:

If you are good in the mountains - you could be fine.

Take a look - Youtube video links
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We did it our 30 foot Class A with toad attached.
It can be a little intimidating at times. Not much for shoulders.
I would suggest using pull outs for faster traffic, watch the signs for down hill grades and use transmission to aid in braking.
I would definitely not drive it at night or inclimate weather!
Great scenery and loved the pink snow!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker