cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bear viewing

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good tour guide for bear viewing..just a day trip and preferably out of homer?
thank you
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.
7 REPLIES 7

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey Bay Air in Homer through Mako Water Taxi is $595 per person and depending on the weather you get up to three hours watching bears. I'm in Homer right now and this seemed to be one of the better options to me. They take you to either Lake Clark or Katmai depending on current weather conditions and bear availability.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

labmansid
Explorer
Explorer
robanddi wrote:
Don't overlook Lake Clark NP. One year we flew over for the day and loved it so much that several years later we flew over and spent two days.

First time flew out of Homer and 2nd time flew out of Soldotna.

Both times saw lots of brown bears, munching on grass, clamming, and just walking around.

Diann

I will second Lake Clark NP. Contact Silver Salmon Creek Lodge. We stayed there several nights about three years ago, wonderful place and hosts, I think Dave is the owner's name.
We had a fantastic time, and you will get close to the bears. I had one walk by me within about 3-4 feet from me, but I never really felt I was in any danger. There are trained guides that go out with you.

Sid

robanddi
Explorer
Explorer
Don't overlook Lake Clark NP. One year we flew over for the day and loved it so much that several years later we flew over and spent two days.

First time flew out of Homer and 2nd time flew out of Soldotna.

Both times saw lots of brown bears, munching on grass, clamming, and just walking around.

Diann
Robert & Diann
2001 34' Foretravel U270
2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Burton TX

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys ๐Ÿ™‚
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
we recommend Sasquatch Alaska Adventure out of Homer! Check out their Trip Advisor reviews. Not cheap, but worth every nickel for the trip of a lifetime.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer Karl Staus, but when in San Diego, many other Beer Viewings (I prefer the word 'samplings'.) options exits: Ballast Point, or Coronado, or my personal favorite - Stone brewery's exit. All have different shapes, colors, and 'heads'.

OH WAIT! You said 'bear' not 'beer'...

Never mind:)!

Note: I find that many of the Visitor Info Centers, and or, 'Campground Work Campers' - have good info on local wildlife viewing.

I can say for sure, if you want to watch Bald Eagles from near Homer - check out Anchor Point. When they launch the boats (neat to watch) they toss out the bait from the day before. The seagulls go wild, until the Bald Eagles show them who's 'Top Bird'...

Best of luck on the bear viewings,
Smitty

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at this site - Katmai - Brooks Falls:

Bear Viewing

When we were in Homer we went to the museum and they had a live cam going on to watch the bears.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel