cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bar Harbor, ME to Savannah, GA

rav
Explorer
Explorer
HI- we need help with our route from Bar Harbor to Savannah. Has anyone taken I 95 or any other suggestions. One of my concerns is going through New York. We have 30 days  to make the trip so we can do another route. thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Need to "sticky" these directions for all the questions about routes down the east coast!

jplante4 wrote:
From Bah Hahbah, take I-95 to I-495. From there you have several choices. You'll note that NONE of these have you going over the Geo. Washington Bridge. Propane is only allowed on the upper deck and you have to be in the correct lanes to get to the upper deck. There are Jersey barriers around the toll booths making the lanes very narrow. A co-worker took out his steps on them this year.

Route 1 - most direct, most traffic
I-495 to the Mass Pike to I-84 to I-684 to the Tappan Zee Bridge, The Garden State Parkway (or I-287) to the NJ turnpike across the Delaware Memorial Bridge and pick up I-95. You'll want I-695 around Baltimore because of propane restrictions in the tunnels and I-495 around DC to avoid the traffic.

Route 2 - long but scenic
I-495 to the Mass Pike to Albany, I-88 to I-81. Get off I-81 in Winchester VA and take US50/US17 back to I-95 north of Fredricksburg VA. This misses NY metro, Philly metro and DC metro.

Route 3 - Combo Route 1 and 2
I-495 to the Mass Pike to I-84 to I-81 in Scranton PA, rest of route 2. There's an interesting corner to cut, taking US209 down the Delaware Water Gap and picking up I-80 to Harrisburg where you can pick up I-81. If there's road construction between Scranton and Harrisburg, we do this one.

Route 4 - the coastal route
Route 1, except on the other side of the Delaware Mem. Bridge take US13 down the DelMarVa and across the CBBT. On the other side go through Norfolk and the are a couple of routes (I-64 or US58) that get you back to I-95. You'll need to turn off your propane going through the bridge tunnel and any tunnels you encounter in Norfolk.

Finally Route 5 - no tunnels but a scary bridge
Route 1 except on the other side of the Del Mem Br take US40 to US301. 301 and US50 run together for a while but stay on US301 all the way to Richmond where you can pick up I-95 again.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Also, a bit long but very scenic.
Follow the Moderator's Route#2 but do not get off I-81.
Continue on I-81 to I-77 near Wytheville, VA
I-77 South to Columbia, SC
In Columbia pick up I-26 and take it to I-95

Getting close but still not there unless you only want interstates.

Stay on I-77 and don't get off on I-26 but take it 2 miles further to the end. It will drop you off on Hwy 321. Take this to I95 in Hardeeville. This will avoid the I26 section from I77 to I95 which is really starting to become a pain about 1/2 the time. It will also avoid I95 which is already a pain half the time. 321 is a nice backroad and dual lane in the Columbia area.

Since you so much time, you could pick up Shenadoah Skyline at Front Royal just off I-66. At the southern end it turns to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Follow that as far as I77 or if you are having fun, I26 which you can take down to Columbia or I95.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

rav
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the ino- now to do some mapping. we will do the most scenic route, dont want to get there to fast!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
30 days? You could go by way of Seattle and San Diego if you really wanted to!

For scenic but not fast, taking some or all of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice option, particularly if you like to do a little bit (or a lot) of hiking. Do plan for the tunnels, some of which are a bit low, if needed. Most are towards the southern extreme of the parkway (which is also in my opinion the more scenic portion). The campgrounds actually on the road do not have hookups, but generally have dump stations and potable water fill stations.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Also, a bit long but very scenic.
Follow the Moderator's Route#2 but do not get off I-81.
Continue on I-81 to I-77 near Wytheville, VA
I-77 South to Columbia, SC
In Columbia pick up I-26 and take it to I-95
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
pulsar wrote:
To avoid New York City, you could take I-84 at Hartford, CT. As you approach Hartford from the north on I-84, take CT 15 for a couple of miles to I-91, then I-691 back to I-84 west. Stay on I-84 until you reach I-81, near Scranton, PA.

DO NOT TAKE CT 15. 8 foot underpasses, RVs are prohibited.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
From Bah Hahbah, take I-95 to I-495. From there you have several choices. You'll note that NONE of these have you going over the Geo. Washington Bridge. Propane is only allowed on the upper deck and you have to be in the correct lanes to get to the upper deck. There are Jersey barriers around the toll booths making the lanes very narrow. A co-worker took out his steps on them this year.

Route 1 - most direct, most traffic
I-495 to the Mass Pike to I-84 to I-684 to the Tappan Zee Bridge, The Garden State Parkway (or I-287) to the NJ turnpike across the Delaware Memorial Bridge and pick up I-95. You'll want I-695 around Baltimore because of propane restrictions in the tunnels and I-495 around DC to avoid the traffic.

Route 2 - long but scenic
I-495 to the Mass Pike to Albany, I-88 to I-81. Get off I-81 in Winchester VA and take US50/US17 back to I-95 north of Fredricksburg VA. This misses NY metro, Philly metro and DC metro.

Route 3 - Combo Route 1 and 2
I-495 to the Mass Pike to I-84 to I-81 in Scranton PA, rest of route 2. There's an interesting corner to cut, taking US209 down the Delaware Water Gap and picking up I-80 to Harrisburg where you can pick up I-81. If there's road construction between Scranton and Harrisburg, we do this one.

Route 4 - the coastal route
Route 1, except on the other side of the Delaware Mem. Bridge take US13 down the DelMarVa and across the CBBT. On the other side go through Norfolk and the are a couple of routes (I-64 or US58) that get you back to I-95. You'll need to turn off your propane going through the bridge tunnel and any tunnels you encounter in Norfolk.

Finally Route 5 - no tunnels but a scary bridge
Route 1 except on the other side of the Del Mem Br take US40 to US301. 301 and US50 run together for a while but stay on US301 all the way to Richmond where you can pick up I-95 again.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid New York City, you could take I-84 at Hartford, CT. As you approach Hartford from the north on I-84, take CT 15 for a couple of miles to I-91, then I-691 back to I-84 west. Stay on I-84 until you reach I-81, near Scranton, PA.

From there, you can take I-81 to US 15 at Harrisburg, PA. (I-81 to I-83 to PA 581 to US 15)

Take i-270 to I-495 to I-95.

Don't know when you will be traveling, but parts of I-95 were still closed in NC. All lanes are open in SC, but they project to close a 17-mile section of I-95, when the Pee Dee River crests.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)