cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banff to Whitehorse

Ed_Rana2
Explorer
Explorer
We will be crossing from Glacier NP to Banff/Lake Louise before continuing to Whitehorse to enter AK.
Any recommendations on routes from Banff to Whitehorse? Time is not necessarily critical and looking for advice on what we may want to avoid pulling our 28ft Jayco trailer. Can always look at maps, but better to ask those who are experienced.
Thanks in advance.
Ed & Sally
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28'
2015 Chevy 2500
8 REPLIES 8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You said 'could always look at maps'.... I think that's what I would advise. 🙂

From Banff go to Jasper then to Prince George then 97 to Dawson Creek (Alaskan Hwy) to Fort Nelson to Watson Lake to Whitehorse.

On your return at Whitehorse to Watson Lake take 37 south (the Cassier Hwy) to Prince George.

You can't get lost - there are very few main roads to get to Whitehorse.

Get the Milepost for good history information and maps; Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon; and the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book online before you go. That's all you'll need for the trip. Have fun! It's a long one but not difficult.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH wrote:
accsys wrote:
Basically you have two choices: through Dawson Creek(using either 16/97 through Prince George or 40/43 though Prairie Creek0 or up the Cassier Hwy (37) after taking 16 through Prince George. Most of us take one way going and the other coming back. Many like to save the Cassiar for the return trip as more bears will be at Stewart/Hyder in the fall.

Just a correction, in case you're looking this up. It is called Grande Prairie (Alberta), not Prairie Creek. Then continue on to Dawson Creek, and the Alaska Hwy.

Thanks for the correction - I don't know where Prairie Creek came from?? I have corrected my original post.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
Basically you have two choices: through Dawson Creek(using either 16/97 through Prince George or 40/43 though Prairie Creek0 or up the Cassier Hwy (37) after taking 16 through Prince George. Most of us take one way going and the other coming back. Many like to save the Cassiar for the return trip as more bears will be at Stewart/Hyder in the fall.

Just a correction, in case you're looking this up. It is called Grande Prairie (Alberta), not Prairie Creek. Then continue on to Dawson Creek, and the Alaska Hwy.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I agree with AACSYR to take one direction going up and the other coming back. We have always used the Alaska Hwy going up and Cassiar coming back.

Ditto! Stewart-Hyder bears and Salmon Glacier on the way out is a must do!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with AACSYR to take one direction going up and the other coming back. We have always used the Alaska Hwy going up and Cassiar coming back.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No question. The Cassiar route.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Basically you have two choices: through Dawson Creek(using either 16/97 through Prince George or 40/43 though Grand Prairie) or up the Cassiar Hwy (37) after taking 16 through Prince George. Most of us take one way going and the other coming back. Many like to save the Cassiar for the return trip as more bears will be at Stewart/Hyder in the fall.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
CAN 93 north to Jasper, CAN 16 over to CAN 5 to Prince George would be my preferred route. Most of the route is good. No problem with your size of rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker