cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bandon to Medford

JoWood10
Explorer
Explorer
We planned on traveling from Brookings to Phoenix OR via 199. There are road closures now, so I found a route of going back up to Bandon and across via 42. How is 42 for travel trailers. Any info appreciated with this crazy rain.
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
from bandon go north to almost coos bay and pick up hiway 42 there.
much nicer road than 42s

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if those who dislike the part close to Bandon are actually talking about 42S, a shortcut at Coquille. That's narrower and curvier as it skirts the south side of the river valley.

Going further north to the actual junction of 101 and 42 might be better for a big RV. I've only done the south alternitive, but that was in a car. It's the kind of local road where you can stop at farm driveways for honorsystem fresh eggs.

My understanding is that 42 is one of easier roads across the costal mountains. You might have to go as far north as US20 to get something lower and straighter.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually took that route for the same reasons heading to Harris Beach St Park a couple weeks ago towing a 31' TT with a LB 3500 truck. For the most part it's fine, it's the section nearest Bandon that sucks. Nothing white knuckle by any means, just slow tighter corners and typical coastal undulating road surface.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
The road isn't the greatest but doable. Some time ago someone was ranting about how dangerous it is shortly after I went across it. (I asked if he was expecting a 6 lane freeway. The road has one rough, curvy section and the rest has small shoulders and not the best road surface. I have a 35' motorhome towing. To me it was jut another road. Might be some log and chip truck traffic.