cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baltimore/washington Parkway with a 5th wheel tralier

rsteabag
Explorer
Explorer
Who uses the BW Parkway north from I 495 north to the Francis Scott Bridge and any restrictions on Bridge height? RV.s OK?
3500 DRW,4X4,LT, DSL/ALLISON,CREW CAB,LONG BED
2008 EXCEL 35MKE,Air Ride Suspension,20K Easy Rider Air Hitch and LevelAirs
15 REPLIES 15

dedmiston
wvw143 wrote:
I just traveled on the 295 north from DC. The Baltimore Washington Pkwy was a little busy at 4pm but very do able. Also went through the Baltimore Harbor tunnel, No problems ?? I'm driving a 2500 ram towing a Bighorn 5th wheel. 13ft, 3 inch tall truck&trailer =60ft.

Why is a guy from the valley bumping an eight year old thread about driving in DC? Feels fishy to me.

Feel free to DM me and chat about whether you're a spammer or not.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Since the Baltimore tunnels are a no-no with propane, I will do the Key Bridge and 695, then get on I-97. From there, that runs straight into MD 3, which is about 10 miles of not a freeway but usually moves well. Then, depending on the time of day and traffic, either use US50 to cut west back to the 95/495 Beltway, or continue down US301 and the Nice Bridge over the Potomac, and pick up 95 just north of Richmond.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My MD house is on Aviation Blvd at the airport and for years I traveled the parkway every weekday both directions and still do when I am up there. Timing is everything but I can leave at 6 am and be in Springfield VA at 7 going straight through DC in my car. Parkway, 295, 395, to 95. I have also pulled trailers up to 43ft 5er and a 32ft enclosed car trailer behind my DP on the parkway, takes longer. Coming off of the Baltimore beltway, to me, it is far better to take the Parkway but if not at least a little familiar take I-95 and east side of I-495--I-95 around DC

Any advice for getting from PA to Severn, MD now that the bridge is out?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wvw143 wrote:
I just traveled on the 295 north from DC. The Baltimore Washington Pkwy was a little busy at 4pm but very do able. Also went through the Baltimore Harbor tunnel, No problems ?? I'm driving a 2500 ram towing a Bighorn 5th wheel. 13ft, 3 inch tall truck&trailer =60ft.

Beware if going through the tunnel with lp. If you get stopped law enforcement will ticket you or force you off the highway onto surface streets in downtown baltimore...Or both!
Now there is no guarantee you'll be stopped just like there is no guarantee a speeder will be caught speeding. However break the rules and there is always a chance you will be caught!
Depending on the time of day you could find yoursel in a congested mess. Propane is not permitted in Harbor or Ft. McHenry Tunnels.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wvw143
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm new, I have a 33'cougar.30amp with one AC down in the LR. We are suffering so bad in the front BR. There is only one dinky vent up there. Can I put a small ac in the BR vent hole?I have a fanatic fan there.(itsso loud to have on). Any suggestions??

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I'd still not take the parkway and would opt for 95. I have yet to drive it where traffic didn't get gummed up (weekday, weekend, morning, evening, you name it- I'm a traffic magnet on that dang road).

It is not you, it's just that road. I lived in Laurel for over 10 years, first at Russett and then down off 197. It has and always is busy from 8a-9p almost 7 days a week with the gridlock lasting 6-9 and 3-7 from the beltway to 32.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I researched this recently:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/11/road-tunnel-restrictions-near-maryland.html

When I contacted the National Park Service, they had this to say about their "commercial truck restrictions":
Is this vehicle registered Commercial? And YES we do have height restrictions. We have bridges under passes, which would not allow anything over 13 ft.

I asked where the 13' overpasses were but didn't get any response.

I re-contacted the NPS and got clarification on the statement regarding "which would not allow anything over 13 ft". They said that there is one bridge that is 14' 2" at Good Luck Road which is inside of the DC beltway and not between the two.

NPS wrote:
Hello Sir, after looking at bridge reports I see the lowest bridge on Parkway is 14.2' and that is at Good Luck Rd bridge.

I'd still not take the parkway and would opt for 95. I have yet to drive it where traffic didn't get gummed up (weekday, weekend, morning, evening, you name it- I'm a traffic magnet on that dang road).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
Lantley wrote:
There is really no advantage to taking 295 vs 95. It is only 2 lanes each direction and a bit more congested than 95.
While I don't believe you'll have any clearance issues, the road is not set up for trucks. It is a commuter road designed with lots of cars in mind.
I understand 295 allows for more direct route however the traffic patterns eliminate any advantage. Take 95 to 695 south to the Key Bridge.
In the wee morning hours or late evening hours(non rush hour times)you may take 695 north around to 95 N as well.
295 may look better on paper however it is a Parkway with lots of commuter traffic.

Concur wholeheartedly.

x3
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
There is really no advantage to taking 295 vs 95. It is only 2 lanes each direction and a bit more congested than 95.
While I don't believe you'll have any clearance issues, the road is not set up for trucks. It is a commuter road designed with lots of cars in mind.
I understand 295 allows for more direct route however the traffic patterns eliminate any advantage. Take 95 to 695 south to the Key Bridge.
In the wee morning hours or late evening hours(non rush hour times)you may take 695 north around to 95 N as well.
295 may look better on paper however it is a Parkway with lots of commuter traffic.

Concur wholeheartedly.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Tour Buses drive BW Parkway all the time. BW Parkway is less stressful during non-rush hour periods as the traffic moves at around 65 instead of 75+ and being only two lanes, people are lane jumping much less. Going North, drive it in the morning - afternoon traffic backs it up beginning around 2:30PM. Going South, drive it in the late morning/afternoon - traffic jams end around 11AM. I would avoid it Sunday afternoons during baseball season - traffic both ways when there are home games at either end.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We've done it in the 5'er and Endura with no issue but I agree with ependydad-the topside is less stressful.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
The lower half of the BW parkway from I495 to MD198 has older stone underpasses for the hiway traffic. But I cannot remember the official height. Being one that grew up on Long Island, I can tell you I have thing against driving anything taller then my F350 on any road named a parkway unless I have been around it and know otherwise.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight