cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZ to OR- which route is flatter?

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Flagstaff on 5/7 to head to the Oregon coast for a workamping gig. One route is 95 out of Vegas. The other is I40 to I5 up Cali.

I've never taken 95 but had one trip up I5. I remember it as being in very bad condition but relatively flat. It seems like 95 would be more mountainous, esp. when turning west into CA.

I would prefer a flatter route. Recommendations?
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g
19 REPLIES 19

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing flat about the Oregon Coast.

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I'm going to take I-5 and stop overnight somewhere around halfway up CA. Besides, I found out there's a Krispy Kreme at MM 476!
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

Shroomer
Explorer
Explorer
Having traveled I-5 many times to Oregon, without a doubt it's the fastest route, that said, the fast lanes typically are 75-80 mph, or the slower lanes are under 70, can you keep up?, one place you have to time is the Sacramento area - avoid the rush hours!

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
I would just get on I-5 and head north. Since you are headed to Reedsport, I would stay on I-5 until Sutherlin Oregon and then take 38/138 along the Umpqua river which meets 101 on the coast right in Reedsport. If you have a little more time, take Hwy 20 at Williams over to 101 and then north to Reedsport.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to the Reedsport area, so I guess that's southern OR.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Since you still haven't said where in Oregon you are going here is the way we go to the Oregon coast from our home base in Reno...

95 to I80 to Reno then

395 to Susanville then

44 to 89 to I-5 to 199 to the 101 then up the coast to Brookings Oregon.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where you go on the Oregon coast changes the 'fastest' route options from Google Maps. Though overall distance and time doesn't vary that much.

Selecting Bandon in the south, it chooses 42 over the coast mountains, and I5 into Oregon. South of that the alternatives are up the central valley, or Nevada to Reno and a diagonal to Shasta area.

But choose a spot further north and it entertains the option of crossing the Oregon Cascades to Eugene.

And even further north and it crosses from Bend to Salem, and it stays on 95 all the way to Oregon.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
soon2bexpat...That was my goal last summer...I just had to get to Northern CA (before the Oregon part of my trip) by the easiest and fastest drive.

If you want more opinions on I-5, maybe start a new thread with subject line "I-5 in California". That will catch people's eyes for more opinions specifically about I-5.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there's been some confusion about what you meant by flatter router. Usually these discussions focus on the big climbs, the kind of thing that might give an under powered RV problems. Or passes with guardrails and big views that give some drivers and passengers heart palpitations. Or are more likely to have winter snow problems.

For example when traveling north to Oregon, people often talk about avoiding the I5 pass, and instead taking CA20 to US101, and then up through the redwoods to the Oregon coast. Or avoiding storms across the Sierras on I80, or even the grades and possible snow on passes in southern California.

But if you are pressed for time, and just want to put on a lot of miles each day, then freeways are your best bet, even if they include some passes. Asking for 'straightest' route rather than 'flattest' might have reduced that confusion. OR maybe just fastest.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
For some people traveling with an RV is for finding destinations like NP. Those locations are like pearls. I think the string in the pearls, the roads connecting them is just as important maybe more so. I love the road and have been a road warrior since the 1960s. There is nothing I love more than a great highway like US 395. I was there last week and travel it often.

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
It appears you have a small RV. Why are you looking for flattest? You're traveling in beautiful areas and hills are a part of it. Don't avoid major secondary highways. That's where you'll find the beauty. Forget about I-5 in California!

Here's my thinking. I'm leaving Monday and would like to arrive Wednesday. That means Tuesday will be a long travel day (prob 6AM-noon and 3-9PM). I can do that- I get in a groove and just 'iron butt' it. But it's a lot easier to do if I can basically put on the cruise and go. Concentrating on up and down grades and slowing or stopping through small towns tires me out.

I've done cross country on I-40 and I-10 that way a few times. It just works better for me to put my head down and not worry about the scenery. That's why I'm leaning towards I-5.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you heading on the OR Coast?

2gypsies and I are on the same page with the 395....have driven it up and back essentially for 5 trips from Tucson.

Going up here is what we would do - sounds a little complicated but it is not.

10 to AZ95 to I40 to 58 to 395 to 299 to 139 which turns into 39 in OR to 97 and then wherever you are going.

Probably not the fastest but nice driving and beautiful.

I would not do the I-5 period.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
All routes are pretty flat most of the time. Route 95 in Nevada is easy but boring. So is I-5 except for the Siskiyous in southern Oregon.
If you want to see the country, take US 395 in Owens Valley. There are a couple of grades, all are short except for Bishop to Mammoth.