cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else going this year?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was beginning to wonder if anyone else was going to Alaska this year. Have reached Dawson Creek before seeing any US tags in CGs.

I know that we travel routes less travelled by the crowd but hardly any RVs have been seen on the route we have travelled to get this far.

Entered Canada at a NW ND crossing, up to Regina, SK, across to Edmonton on 16, then N to Dawson Creek via 2 & 47. Very nice quiet roads the whole way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
11 REPLIES 11

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
A real beauty. As an engineer, form following function. She still has her radial.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
To PA12DRVR, we flew over Glacier in a restored Beaver. Highlight of the trip. DW had never flow in anything smaller than a twin turboprop.

That's great to hear that y'all enjoyed the flightseeing. :C There's a certain segment of us pilots (generally tending to be old and opinionated) that feel the ol' DHC-2 (Beaver) was the height of the plane designers' craft. Quite a few restored versions ended up with turbine engines, but, if not, there's nothing quite like the rumble of the old radial engine, the control yokes, and a plane capable of carrying a literal ton of pax / freight and get off in 1,000 feet or so.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trailer is currently in Palmer. We are side tripping on a cruise. We left Montana late April so wasn't busy. Diverted to Casiar to avoid fires. Turned out to be a great alternative. A lonely road but incredible wilderness. After cruise, Doing kenai, Denali then over to Dawson for a run up to tuktoyuktuk before turning south.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
The current smoke patterns for the USA & CANADA .
Smoke Patterns

Hit the current forecast icon for the latest updates.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
To PA12DRVR, we flew over Glacier in a restored Beaver. Highlight of the trip. DW had never flow in anything smaller than a twin turboprop.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting in Whitehorse now. We left Memorial Sunday, through Banff and Jasper, to Skagway, then Haines and back to Whitehorse. We only ran into one covey of RVs and some singles. No fire or smoke problems. Beautiful weather, so far. Flying home on Sunday, MIL health not good, so we can only stay away 2 to 3 weeks.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Will be there in a few weeks but flying. Will wave to the RVs I see!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe the fires are discouraging some. It was one smokey drive for a good part of the way from Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson. Surprisingly little traffic too yet the CG we departed from in Dawson Creek & the one in Fort Nelson are quite full.

This could be due in part to some of the provincial park CGs being closed due to fires in the area.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our way to Tuktoyaktuk leaving southeastern BC around June 19th. We live close to the boarder with Washington State and I have seen a lot of USA RV’s up here, where they go after they pass me on the Hwy I have no idea.
The fires in northern Alberta and northern BC may have something to do with it. The town of Tumbler Ridge was just given an evacuation order for the entire town / area to leave immediately.
Things aren’t good out there and I’m betting people are watching the news, I could be wrong thought.

This was behind my house 2 years ago, last year the fire was over a ridge from my house, so no retardant bomber photos.

Safe travels everyone
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
My brother is up there right now. If you see a Roadtrek class B with Maine tags, say hello to Bill.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Entirely unscientific anecdotal evidence (i.e. driving around) seems to show less RV travelers and more RV renters for this time of year in the general Los Anchorage - Mat-Su area.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN