cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Sept 2022

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
We last went in 2003 in the summer. We want to go next year but with a wedding in Brazil the end of July we can't leave until Aug 1. Wondering how things are in Sep in Alaska. I checked weather and looks good. we can handle 30 to 50's. Are campgrounds still open, Lots of places to boon dock even in a large rig. My wife does want some shopping, touring, etc. I would guess that all the places are still open in Sept, but not sure. Head home Oct 1 or so. Not really on a schedule .
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
23 REPLIES 23

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, part of it is legal requirement, but those are two very delightful destinations. Would hate to see them removed from the itineraries.

Thanks Wolfe! I hope a lot more think like that!:)
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Orion wrote:
I think everyone here is wondering how many cruise ships will make a stop in Canada if they don't have to!

Doubt anyone who has visited either Vancouver or Victoria would question why the cruise ships stop there.

Yes, part of it is legal requirement, but those are two very delightful destinations. Would hate to see them removed from the itineraries.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I think everyone here is wondering how many cruise ships will make a stop in Canada if they don't have to!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Spent far too much of my non-internet career dealing with the Jones Act. "Outdated" = "long since outlived it's usefulness" = IMNSHO.

Personally, the cruises NOT are something I'd participate in, but it only takes one season without them to realize the very significant $$ that they bring in to the local economy, even after factoring in the very integrated "value chain" that the cruise lines push.

Edited to add "NOT"
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I think you may be correct. Next year I think our cruise related industry may be SOOL , as they probably will repeal that Jones Act . It would appear to be very outdated anyway.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the cruise ships are leery of all sorts of mandate and possible quarantine issues (i.e. State and Local) as well as concerned with the degree of increased cleaning, spacing, etc. Back in July, the 1st cruise came into JNU with, IIRC, 680 passengers vs. 2200 pax capacity.

There's also some non-Covid stuff like the (recently defeated, IIRC) ordinance in Juneau that would have impacted the number of ships allowed in at any one time.

...and they may be having staffing issues like many similar hospitality sectors: Denali Princess Lodge is closed this year (although, with the tie-in to Princess, that closure is a chicken or egg debate), K2 is offering reduced # of tours, Simon & Seaforts is running at circa 60% capacity, etc.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Why are there so few cruise ships? They always could not sail directly from one US port to another as they are nearly all foreign registered. This is why they had to stop at a Canadian port like Vancouver Victoria or occasionally Nanaimo. As Canada banned all cruise ship visits, the above regulation was 'temporarily' suspended, allowing the cruise ships to sail between two US ports. Places like here in Victoria are really worried that this suspension will be permanent, The cruise ships are great money generators!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a friend vacationing in Alaska right now. They flew up so not an RV adventure, but they have visited Denali, Fairbanks, North pole, over to the coast, Kenai, Valdez, Alyeska, etc. No issues with things being closed or tourist spots being closed. I'm sure there aren't the crowds with only a few cruise ships running, but certainly not stopping them or finding things closed. I'm sure next year everything will be open and crowded as ever.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
When we got to TOK my crysal ball said turn right due to weather. The cruisers in their high end cruise busses going to the high end cruise ship resorts never came to our CGs. :B

They packed Skagway but weren't to interested in the places we went to. We were going to take the train but cancelled. When we left and drove up to the Canadian border we go out, walked around and waved at the cruisers that weren't allowed off of the train as their passports were most likely on the ship anyway. :S

We did the same thing in Skagway - rented a couple jeeps and had a great photography adventure driving up into Canada. Saw the same thing with tour buses and the train. We got to explore, they got to sit in their seats. Glad we chose to rent jeeps privately.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we got to TOK my crysal ball said turn right due to weather. The cruisers in their high end cruise busses going to the high end cruise ship resorts never came to our CGs. :B

They packed Skagway but weren't to interested in the places we went to. We were going to take the train but cancelled. When we left and drove up to the Canadian border we go out, walked around and waved at the cruisers that weren't allowed off of the train as their passports were most likely on the ship anyway. :S
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Just a pre-planning note, many of the usual attractions that visitors (of all types) like to visit are tied to one degree or the other to the cruise ship crowd (even in SC Alaska, such as Los Anchorage and Talkeetna). Whether or not the cruise ships return at something near usual levels will have an effect on whether some of the tours / activities / services are also back to their pre-restriction levels.

Even assuming the border stays "open", it would be well to check with one's intended destination / attraction to make sure it's open in 2022....even if that just means a decision to turn right to Fairbanks or left to Glennallen / Anchorage
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
No kidding , I know a bunch of people who are planning now!!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Border stays open, AK better get ready next year. It’ll be a very popular destination!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I would say most of this info is good news for me. I really want to go next year.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride