cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Isn't this the grandest site you have ever seen?!?!?

Yes, what wonderful news and what a great picture seeing Old Fella up and about. This made my day.

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
TTBeachBum wrote:
Any word about what caused this? It is great news that he is up!

The only guess we have is he injured it out in the yard on Wednesday of last week while he and Levi were out. Wednesday morning he was fine and Wednesday afternoon he was down and down hard. Dr. Alexander was very concerned that Old Fella may never overcome this set back because of his age and that one leg was taking all the weight in getting up and walking. Truly we have seen a miracle here today. I had already taken Fella to the vet's office this morning and told Dr. Alexander that Fella was walking with the aid of the sling. Then when we got home and put Fella in the back yard on the stretcher he finally got up and walked across the yard without any help. From this day forward Old Fella will be watched more closely and I will never take for granted that his one good leg is made of steel.

Boy oh boy, what a scare! Old Fella is truly resilant (more so than we are!); Thank God for the prayers! I am glad to read that he is recovering.

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Mickey T wrote:
Let us rejoice and be glad!
Amen!

Amen!!
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chemgoddess1 wrote:
Do you have any bees in your yard? Quincy got stung by one last year (just slightly) and he was limping for over a day. Just a thought....

We have had Yellow Jackets in our yard but they swarm instead of being single. When you unfortunately have an encounter with them there is more than one bite and it is all over. I hope I got rid of the last of those pesty things with the last attack several years ago when they were all over Bart our Doberman. He was covered all over with stings and almost died.

What we saw on Fella was a sprain and tissue being damaged in the joint. It was a bad sprain and twisted his lower joint in his leg. He was in so much pain that he couldn't stand for you to touch it for a long time. We found out just how precious that one good leg is.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any bees in your yard? Quincy got stung by one last year (just slightly) and he was limping for over a day. Just a thought....

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

MuleBrand
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
As I was typing the post about Fella walking again I heard him barking so I finished it quickly and went to the window and I didn't see fellow where Sue and I left him. The blue stretcher was there that we carried him out on but he was gone. In a frantic I looked over the yard and then I saw the old boy coming out of the bushes walking on his own. If you will look at the first picture you will see the blue stretcher laying in the background. I was hoping for a miracle and we got one!!

Hallelujah! What a blessing indeed, to see the photos of Old Fella walking on his own!:B
David and Pam
2011 Itasca Impulse

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TTBeachBum wrote:

The only guess we have is he injured it out in the yard on Wednesday of last week while he and Levi were out. Wednesday morning he was fine and Wednesday afternoon he was down and down hard. Dr. Alexander was very concerned that Old Fella may never overcome this set back because of his age and that one leg was taking all the weight in getting up and walking. Truly we have seen a miracle here today. I had already taken Fella to the vet's office this morning and told Dr. Alexander that Fella was walking with the aid of the sling. Then when we got home and put Fella in the back yard on the stretcher he finally got up and walked across the yard without any help. From this day forward Old Fella will be watched more closely and I will never take for granted that his one good leg is made of steel.

Wife Sue

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That is wonderful news to hear this morning. I glad he's walking on his own and the swelling is starting to go down.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I was typing the post about Fella walking again I heard him barking so I finished it quickly and went to the window and I didn't see fellow where Sue and I left him. The blue stretcher was there that we carried him out on but he was gone. In a frantic I looked over the yard and then I saw the old boy coming out of the bushes walking on his own. If you will look at the first picture you will see the blue stretcher laying in the background. I was hoping for a miracle and we got one!!

Wife Sue

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
I am always deeply affected by how Old Fella is doing and all of the sincere posts. This is the best news, to start my day by. Thanks for the picture of him walking across the yard. I am now smiling!
๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

coop7243
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful way to start the day - recognizing the power of prayer! I gave each of my furkids an extra treat to celebrate the great news! We are so happy for all of you. Anxious to hear more about Fella's continued recovery.
๐Ÿ™‚ Daneen
Husband: Len
Furkids: Mattie, Shelby, Sandra & Grayson

mpj
Explorer
Explorer
Great news. OF knew we all wanted him better - and he is getting better especially for you DF. He will let you know when it is time to stop praying for him. Until then, he will try his darnest to please you. Give him a hug for us. Don't let him overdue the exercise. The more rest it gets, the faster the leg will get better. He'll use it when he needs to, but it is okay if you baby him while he is recovering. I sure he will love that.
mpj:)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Isn't this the grandest site you have ever seen?!?!?

Wife Sue

LeroyR
Explorer
Explorer
DF - I am so glad to hear Old Fella is mobile. Did the Doc say anything about limiting his movements to prevent further problems or making it worse? I'm just thinking that pain killers don't heal. Are the steroids just for inflammation? In any case, I know it does your heart good to see him moving about on his own. I know it does mine.
Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS