cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, thank Heavens! Okay a broken bone is not fun, but it could have been so much worse. He's gonna be alright. Not that this will be easy, but he's gonna be alright.

You'll probably want to get him something like this:

http://www.homevisions.com/product-2/33604.htm

They are very useful. Petsmart carries them, I'm not sure where else, or you can order online. There are other types as well, some nicer but I've used one of these on more than one big dog and done pretty well.

If its going to take a while to heal, I suppose a wheelchair might be needed. Hmmmmmmmmmmm we may have to hold an Old Fella Bake Sale....
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

LeroyR
Explorer
Explorer
That's definitely better news than what we were thinking or theorizing about. Hopefully, it's just a sprain and can be remedied in short order. More prayers from NH.
Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I'm glad you will know more in a few hours. Did the vet keep him? They usually have to put them out for x-rays. After favoring that leg for years, since his awful injury, it's not totally unexpected that something finally gave in his overstressed good leg. If there is anything to deal with, a cast perhaps, I know you and he will handle it. Just know that you're doing all that can be done and we all appreciate it.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My best to Old Fella, my fingers are crossed. Did you see him hurt his leg?
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CockerDodger wrote:
Did the vet advise you on the medications you were giving Old Fella?

Chuck

The vet says to give Fella the Rimadyl once a day. He says as long as the blood work is done every 6-8 months it can be carefully watched to see if there is going to be any problems.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

CockerDodger
Explorer
Explorer
Richard & family, prayers for the health troubles that have come upon Old Fella. I been praying and feel relieved now that the vet has seen Old Fella and has given a somewhat favorable report. Still some mending to do. What a scare, and I pray the healing will come painlessly and quickly.

Did the vet advise you on the medications you were giving Old Fella?

We have our appointment to get the needed shots and heart worm tests done so the girls can be protected on our trip to Branson. We also will be have the needed health records just in case.
Chuck
Nothing smells sweeter than puppy breath! But, I could do without those 5 A.M. walks.
Chuck and Linda Good Sam Lifetimers

sisodals
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there Old Fella and Dixie Flyer, with all you have done I trust the Good Lord will guide you through this trial as well.

Remember He will never give you more than you and He can carry together.
Helen & Ray Siso
sisodals@bellatlantic.net

Bounder 38N
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Brake Buddy

Rally's attended: 16 (Four Bounder, 5 FMCA and 7 Samborees)

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - Glad it's not worse. We will continue the prayers - trust me on that one! Give him a hug from us when you see him.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Back from the Vet. Old Fella doesn't have a problem with his hips....

Now that is good news alright! A sprained ankle or small fracture is much better than some other diagnosis.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Glad OF has a "simple" problem.

Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back from the Vet. Old Fella doesn't have a problem with his hips. The cause for the trouble is a sprained or fractured ankle joint on his good leg. That is why he was fine one minute and not so fine the next. Its kinda a good news, bad news thing. At this point there is hope for recovery. We will know more this afternoon when the vet calls us with his report. He is going to x-ray the leg and see what is going on.

I feel there is hope for recovery now that we have discovered the problem as bed rest will improve his condition. I will let you know something as soon as the vet calls with his diagnosis.

Just keep up the prayers please...

Wife Sue

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Walter,

For both diseases, degradation of spinal tissue occurs leading to loss of motor control; for DM it is gradual while for FCE it is an event (embolism). Our favorite sire (sire of Rae, Gyp, & Jody and planned cross with Peg) had FCE during the treatment of a serious head trauma. The sire eventually regained some motor control of the affected back leg, returned to herding, and qualified for the finals.

Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
BCSnob wrote:
Two possibilities come to my mind both involve nerves in the spine. One is a slipped or ruptured disc and the other is a spinal embolism (or fibrocartilaginous embolism).

Good luck; I hope the vet can diagnose and treat OF quickly.

Mark
Mark,

The link you posted is very interesting. The symtoms presented with that condition are very similar to Degenerative Myelopathy. Makes me wonder about Missy. :?

But enough of that.

Richard, I presume you are at the vet now with OF. I will be thinking of you guys all day, hoping for the best news.

Good luck. ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

tropicalwinds
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there, Ol' Fella. I'm offering up prayers for you and Richard even as I type. Please keep us posted on his progress!!!!
Brian & Donna
1 Shih-tzu Bilbo, 1 cat Jazzy (Rescued, but she thinks she rescued us)
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD :C
2004 Cougar 294 RLS

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Old Fella this morning.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]