cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,272 REPLIES 32,272

I click on the RV.Net button.  It doesn't take my password so I do the forgot password link.  I get an email and then click on the link and put in a new password (that passes the password requirements) and then I get an error message that says something about I don't have permission to do this function.  I have been trying to get logged on since this new site started.  I finally gave up and created a new account (added 71 to the end of my old username) just so I could get logged in.  Very frustrating.

Burch

Burch 

I went through a very similar experience.  It's disheartening to know that many, many others did not and will not persevere and make it to this new, "improved" site.☹️

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Hey @DOTLDaddy@Metalgator71, and anyone else who might be experiencing the password reset error issues. 

This is an issue we are aware of are actively working with our provider to get corrected. I have a list of a couple of users who have already reached out. I now have added @Metalgator71 to that list. If you know of anyone else who is experiencing this please tell them to DM me or email community@goodsam.com. Our top priority is getting this error corrected.

Thank you again for your patience with us as we work through these issues. 

RIP, old rv.net.  We all miss you.☹️

I was wondering if you'd ever make it over here, Burch.  I don't think many of the Old Fella faithful have, it's just to cumbersome and user unfriendly.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Metalgator71
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hello

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad

I fear, after trying to navigate and browse this new website design, that many, many people will give up on following the FOOF topic.  So many features of the old design are gone, including all of my past PM's, sent and received.☹️

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

I'm still here, still trying to make sense of this new format, which is not a very good one.  I've found that with the Sort being on Newest to Oldest, I still have to scroll to the bottom, then click on page 1 to get to the newest posts.  Now that I figured that out, I can keep up...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

I still have to scroll to the bottom, then click on page 1 to get to the newest posts.”

Bingo! That’s the detail I was missing. Clumsy but it works.

Thanks!

Larry

I posted it as a system glitch that they need to fix.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

To me, this whole new format is a glitch.☹️

I wish they had left well enough alone.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm

You may have display issues due to the change over to a new platform.  All the replies of this thread are still here.  The navigation is different and is taking me some time to get used to it.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Yikes!  I was afraid this was going to happen one day. 😯

DOTLDaddy

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

So, when did this transformation take place?  I am an infrequent visitor these days.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III

Glad to hear the thread survived. I still can’t get past the first page but I’ll keep trying. 

Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III

Me thinks the OF thread may be crossing the bridge?

Hope this format change was worth sacrificing the longest running thread on the internet. 

Larry