cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,272 REPLIES 32,272

It would appear so.  The mere fact that MetalGator has not posted since the change is ominous.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Peanut57
Explorer II
Explorer II

Well this was a shock and took me awhile playing seek and find to locate this thread.  I used to be Shadow 57 but some how I ended up changed to Peanut57.  I have read and cried over this thread since my days in the office and been retired since 08.  Shadow has crossed the rainbow bridge but I do still have Peanut. plus a few other critters.  So happy I found this thread, now to figure out how to save it to locate it again.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III

Not sure what happened here. I donโ€™t follow the thread regularly. This time I stopped by to catch up and only a portion of the thread on a new site. 

is the Ol Fella thread dead?

Larry

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I have decided to drive to Virginia to see my daughter and family for Thanksgiving. I'll be at her in-laws (good friends) along with daughter and family. They have a big house. They will take their dog, Pepper, and I will have Brendon. They know each other and get along. Mostly they ignore each other. I will be driving my car as the weather there along the coast can be iffy. Then in December I will stay in Florida and visit my son and his family.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Whew Burch! I dont envy you for that clean up job. Poor Monty, I know he felt horrible having that happen. I hope he is feeling better now and I hope you are also.

Derhelm, sounds like you are really deep into that project! I hope you post pictures when it is complete.

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
aro_sie wrote:
How is everyone? Any new projects happening?
We're doing an interior overhaul, getting rid of old technology, replacing some storage, setting up new livingroom stuff and refurbbing my office. We're making the local recycler WAY happy and in a silly sort of way, I'm having fun with the project.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

Made a quick trip to Jacksonville last weekend to visit my uncle. He has stage 4 colon cancer and is 90 years old. I want to see him as much as I can as I know he doesn't have much time left.

I took the motorhome and brought my mom and my wife and the Doggies. Monty had an upset stomach and had diarrhea all over the back of the motorhome on the drive up. He couldn't help it but boy did it stink! I had to mop and get the motorhome cleaned up once we got to our RV site. He was fine on the drive home.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Looks as tho I have a new neighbor! I am so excited. Our houses are new and mine was the first in the neighborhood. Just noticed some activity over there last night for the first time! My concrete is all cured and they will start building the new garage in a couple of weeks! How is everyone? Any new projects happening?

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Derhelm. good to see you here.

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
At last, at last Fall is here in Las Vegas! It only lasts a few weeks so I'm planning on taking Beren up to Goldfield for a few days at the end of the month. Can't wait for our next camping adventure! Do y'all keep an eye on Old Fella Rescue? They seem to be having a hard time with the locals. Please keep the workers there in your prayers, and the rescue on your donation list. Love to all you FOOFs out there.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope you aren't caught in this rain thing happening today! Altho it was pretty warm during our dark hours, this morning it is very cool. I tell you, I just HATE cold weather. Today we are going to get some rain. I hope it clears up before the children are out this evening. I have not lived in this house before so I don't know if ghosts and goblins will visit me tonight. Actually this house is a new build so it would be new to the children also. Did I mention, I love having children visit in their costumes?

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a good weekend. We took our first trip in the motorhome since Labor Day weekend. Our doggies had a good time meeting new friends at the RV park. Have another trip planned next weekend to go to Jacksonville to visit my uncle.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We have had several days of extremely warm weather and cool nights. They were enjoyed! After today tho we are segueing back to more normal temps and rain. We had an outstanding weekend here. Now back to same o same o. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Doing better. Dale and Burch, I hope you both are as well. My children all have checked in with me as well as my grands. Tell me, honestly, is there anything better than our grands?

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
aro_sie wrote:
Dale. Hope the light coat you got is really one you like. that seems to be the way I get my favorite clothing. I guess the booty of the whole deal was seeing the rocket launch! Lucky you! Did that excite the children? Of course, if they see it regularly they may have just taken it as an everyday occurrence. God Bless you for being there for your grands. So many people today just sail on in life and ignore them. Love reading your posts,
hugs the rosie one.

I do like the jacket. In fact, there were two I really liked, both different weights. I actually went back the next day and bought the other one. They were only $34 at Burlington. My only jackets/coats are all 30 years old as we stayed in warm weather the entire time we fulltimed. Now even visiting relatives in Indiana in the summer, I sometimes need a light coat.

Sorry to hear about your fall. Take care of yourself.

Yes, down here in Florida, especially on the east coast, we see rocket launches all the time, but as people say. . . it never gets old. Everyone at the park stopped and watched the rocket at least for a few minutes. It was pretty cool.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/