cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mystery leak

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just discovered my 12 year old TT is leaking from somewhere. The floor under the sheet vinyl floor covering is gone. You press down on it and its hollow underneath. Its right up against the wall in the front bedroom and probably comes in three or four inches. No stains on ceiling anywhere. Wall is solid when pressing on it. Possibly coming in between the wall? Don't know what to do other than glob massive amounts of roof caulk everywhere in hopes of finding the right spot to prevent further damage. Floor must be nothing more than particle board to disintegrate like that. Is it pretty much inevitable that when an RV gets old it is going to leak at some point? I'm sure getting repairs done would be more than its worth.
9 REPLIES 9

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't disagree with your theory. All I know is, when I close the vents, the leak disappears.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Sure seems that the effect would be exactly opposite. Like it is for any other vehicle in motionโ€ฆ.
Air pressure is lower outside the vehicle due to air speed compared to inside the vehicle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
On ours, I found travelling in the rain with the roof vents open creates a negative pressure which will pull in rain as you travel. Carpet under the slide overlap was always wet when we towed in the rain. No obvious leak anywhere. Drove me crazy until I figured it out.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It only leaks at seams and holes. Donโ€™t have to guess too much. And itโ€™s likely any of the seams on the front cap, clearance lights or side seams nearby.
If the walls and roof donโ€™t show any damage, donโ€™t go exploring.
And floors are easier to fix than walls or roofs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might have it pressure tested will show where leaks could be.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you do not know how to post pictures here, go to
http://photoposting.is-great.net and follow the instructions there.
(I am not affiliated with that site - forum member 1492 created it to make photo posting here less complicated)
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I may be able to help, but we need more to give more specific help for your camper.

A few questions to start the discussion.

1. Make, year, and model of the camper so we can look up the floor plan to add context to your wording.

2. Does the camper have fiberglass or corrugated aluminum siding?

3. Are the wall studs, floor joists, and ceiling framing (rafters) made from wood or metal?

4. You stated this
d1h wrote:
You press down on it and its hollow underneath. Its right up against the wall in the front bedroom and probably comes in three or four inches.

Which wall shows the floor damage, the front wall, left side wall, right side wall? Left is the driver's side wall or non-door side wall.

5. Do you know if the walls, ceiling, and floor have fiberglass batt or solid foam block insulation?

6. Do you know what type of roof membrane you have?

7. Any chance of pictures of the inside damage and the outside of the camper showing the outer walls, floor to roof?

Pending the answers to the above, there are ways to investigate where the leak or, more likely, leaks are coming from and how far they have spread before tearing into the camper for repair. I have successfully used a moisture meter (many, many times) to scan the camper and see inside the walls, ceiling, floors, and roof. I'm willing to share how to do this, but we need more information to help better fit your situation.

Hope this helps,

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaks can travel long distances along rails, boards, wiring etc. Look for the obvious then go from there. Also what he said ^^^^

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
All openings are potential leaks, fan, seams, A/C, windows, lights, etc. Or plumbing.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob