cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hwy 140 from Merced to Yosemite...any advice?

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a few nights booked in Yosemite coming up. Looks like about 1" of snow the afternoon before I'm driving up, and then the temps being below freezing while I'm driving up the next morning (doesn't give the snow time to melt, and I'm concerned a bit about ice too).

I've driven this road (hwy140) once before, but it was years ago and I just remember it's through a pretty tight canyon. Cliff face on one side, drop off into the Merced river on the other side of the road.

I'm mostly worried about the drive to Yosemite. While I'm there, it isn't supposed to rain or snow before I leave and get home. I will be driving in my 23' Class C RV. I will have 1 set of chains for the outer dually if needed.

Anyone have some experience on this road (especially during the winter/snow)? Any advice?

Thanks!
Chris

PS: I'm wanting to see THIS with a blanket of snow...
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
9 REPLIES 9

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
In tow/haul mode, the engine downshifts and slows you down with minimal braking. I suppose if you didn't have tow/haul mode on your rig you could manually downshift. I have yet to find a downhill I had a problem with.

-Chris
San Jose, CA

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
paulj wrote:
Not too long ago there was another question about driving to Y. That poster didn't like the long down hill on the 120 route. He seemed to be ok with the new Priest Grade up, but got hot brakes on the downgrade.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30375639.cfm

That was more an issue of not knowing how to use the transmission to keep speeds under control. It's a long downgrade but not particularly steep. If you are in the correct gear and the truck is not way undersized, no reason the brakes should be overheating.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I actually went back with my son and his girlfriend and got back yesterday (left because we knew the storm was coming).

While we were there, there was a pretty big rock slide that closed all outbound traffic for about 6 hours (people just stuck in their cars). Thankfully, we were camping there that night and weren't affected.

Yesterday, they actually closed the campground (and kicked everyone out) because it would be too dangerous with the storm.

While we were there (20th) it was beautiful and we got to visit all the usual places. What a great place!

-Chris

San Jose, CA

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great waterfall photo!

Glad to hear that your trip was safe and easy.

Be happy you weren't scheduled to be there this week:

Today (Feb 22) Snow showers, mainly after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. Wind chill values as low as 14. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Tonight Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. Wind chill values as low as 6. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Thursday Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 29. Wind chill values as low as 8. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday Night Snow showers. Low around 23. Wind chill values as low as 11. Breezy, with a south-southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Friday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. Breezy, with a south wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Friday Night Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 27. East wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Saturday A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. East wind around 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from my trip to Yosemite via hwy 140. The roads were dry and it wasn't as bad as I remember. The last 20 miles before getting to the park entrance is a bit narrower and mostly along the Merced river. But it wasn't particularly difficult. Got to see some nice things in Yosemite without the crowds...

Not as much snow as I thought there would be...

But I did get to see this which is what I was really hoping to see...

Happy camping!
Chris
San Jose, CA

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty familiar with hwy120...driven it many times. Pretty sure it is closed in the winter time. I've also driven the Old Priest Grade and the New Priest Grade ~50 times. RVs only use New Priest Grade. Neither bother me.

I'll be coming hwy140 direction. Sounds like it is the lowest elevation path into the valley, so that's good.

Anyone know how treacherous hwy 140 is, and if a little snow would make it much of an issue? White knuckles? Or just a pretty normal road?

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not too long ago there was another question about driving to Y. That poster didn't like the long down hill on the 120 route. He seemed to be ok with the new Priest Grade up, but got hot brakes on the downgrade.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30375639.cfm

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought... Can you go a day earlier and beat the snow?

I assume you are going this week since you are looking at current weather forecasts.

There are open sites in Upper Pines every day this week.

The good news for Hwy 140 is that it stays below 4000 feet till you get close to the Yosemite Valley. And it's the lowest elevation route into the park.