cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are you familiar with Duck Coat Roof Coating??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone recommended this product:

Duck Coat Roof Coating

The info on the web page looks promising -- but when I did a search of our archive, I came up empty, which is strange.

If you've used this product on your RV, please feel free to chime in!

Thanks in advance for your advice.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
13 REPLIES 13

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
profdant139 wrote:
John, I am astonished by your internet sleuthing skills -- yes, my trailer is tiny -- it is a box 12 feet long by 7 feet wide. As soon as I am able (which may be a while), I will climb up on the roof to see what it is made of.

Your write-up of how to waterproof the roof and the siding is just excellent -- so detailed. Have you considered publishing it as a stand-alone post under the DIY forum? I think it would be very valuable to the membership at large -- as matters now stand, it is just a part of my Duck Coat post, which is not going to get very many views by comparison.

Thanks again for your clear and comprehensive comments!

Hi Profdant139,

Thank you for the good words. They humble me.

I will consider creating a post in the DIY forum. I have uploaded many of the pics of the process on my picture server, but I have not yet made it to posting about it. The hope is, in time, it will come. If someone needs help before then, I'm glad to help with specific questions.

The roof coating topic is a big one to understand what can go wrong if one does not do certain steps in order and a need for a better understanding of what was meant in the directions from the manufacturer. It's not hard, it just needs to be understood you have to follow the right method. There is more to getting a lifetime roof coating to last than a quick paint-it-on approach. You must start with a proven track record coating and apply it correctly understanding how RV roofs leak. And then there are the RV-specific items not always spelled out in the directions that can be missed just not knowing about them. I believe and have tested to prove what works and what does not; the right roof coating will give good service if applied correctly and for the right owner's reasons on what they want to accomplish with it. But a coating is not for everyone and does not fix every problem.

Good luck with your camper.

Thanks

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Y-Guy wrote:
JBarca - major kudos for such a detailed and helpful write up - Thank you!!!

Thank you Y-Guy! ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Y-Guy
JBarca - major kudos for such a detailed and helpful write up - Thank you!!!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
John, I am astonished by your internet sleuthing skills -- yes, my trailer is tiny -- it is a box 12 feet long by 7 feet wide. As soon as I am able (which may be a while), I will climb up on the roof to see what it is made of.

Your write-up of how to waterproof the roof and the siding is just excellent -- so detailed. Have you considered publishing it as a stand-alone post under the DIY forum? I think it would be very valuable to the membership at large -- as matters now stand, it is just a part of my Duck Coat post, which is not going to get very many views by comparison.

Thanks again for your clear and comprehensive comments!
About our trailer

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
profdant139 wrote:
John, you've given me a lot to think about! I don't know what my roof is made of -- but it has lasted for 11 years of constant sun exposure with no leakage at all, no cracking, no trouble yet.

And it would be nice to keep this little trailer for about ten more years -- I am in my early 70s, and I doubt I will be able to deal with trailering much beyond 80. I wish I could, I hope I will, but that is not the way to bet.

Having said that, I don't want to do a half baked job of preventive maintenance. So I have some homework to do.

Duck Coat users is itself very useful info. Let's stick with the tried and true.

Hi profdant,

Knowing a little more about your wants and needs, here are some thoughts.

First off, what roof membrane do you have? To answer this, we can sort it out two ways,

1. I "think" your camper was made by Cruiser RV. Was it? While your model is no longer offered,but they seem to still be in business. https://cruiserrv.com

Find your VIN, call them, ask for customer service, and ask what material your roof membrane is and the manufacturer (aka, Dicor, Alpha Systems, etc.)

2. Odds are, your roof is either EPDM rubber, TPO, a plastic material, or maybe PVC, another plastic material, but PVC was not as popular back in 2012 as it is now.

If you strike out at the factory, you can remove the crank open roof vent shroud inside the camper bathroom. Pull out the screen, and then it will expose the roof membrane folded over to the inside of the roof opening. From there have a look, EPDM is two layers, normally a top white layer with a black bottom layer. TPO is a solid color, and pending the brand, it could have a texture on the top roof side and a smooth side towards the roof deck. TPO in that era may also have a fleece backing. PVC is a solid color and many times slick, smooth top and bottom.

Take pictures and post them of what you see, it helps.
I tried to find a brochure on your camper and struck out. I did found this 2013 camper, I was looking for specs on it. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2013-cruiser-rv-fun-finder-x-travel-trailer-floorplan-x-139-tr15103.

Not sure how accurate it is, the picture shows a tandem axle and yours is the single axle. But, by your sig picture and the X139 in that ad, your camper may be about 15 feet long. That is a small camper. 4 ft of the 15 feet would be approx. the A-frame, so the roof may only be 11 ft long.

On a roof that small, this is getting easier all the time as the size is small. (take less time to do the work). The smallest one I did roof work on so far was a 21 ft camper, most are 24 to 32 feet, and the work just takes longer.

Your age situation, yes, I very much understand that. Many of the camper roofs/camper restorations I have done are for friends in your same age group. They do not want a new camper; they like what they have, they just ended up with water damage, and I helped them with that. I have a somewhat extreme retirement hobby. I restore water-damaged campers and service everything on them. I am completing number 16 now. Some big restorations, others, more minor damage repairs.

As we all age (I'm 64), our bodies do not always like getting up a camper roof to check caulking four times a year. And even then, if you have never been through a major water damage repair, you may not know what good or bad caulk looks like. Or you never knew you had to get up there that often or ever, in some cases.

For the last 8 campers, I have done roof jobs as part of the restoration work, five had Eternbonded seams, and 3 had Henry's Tropi-cool roof coatings. All of these friends wanted to keep their camper for a long time and had age or health issues preventing them from doing roof maintenance. Like you, they wanted to keep the camper and opted to have a different approach to caulking leaks, all of which created the water damage they ended up coming to me for.

Here are a few pics of one of the restorations with Ebond on the seams. A 2007 T286SR Sunline was bought new in 2007 for a friend in MI. The front wall, back wall, and the whole roof was replaced. New walk-on roof decking with a new EPDM rubber membrane and all seams E bonded. This work was completed in 2019. This camper is a summer cottage staying in one place and travels once in a while in northern MI.

Here is another 2006 Sunline, T276SR. This camper was bought by a friend with water damage. The inside was in OK condition, just with considerable water damage. This camper lives in a seasonal campground on the NJ shore area. It does get covered in the winter but is exposed the rest of the year. This camper had a front wall, rear wall, and main camper floor roof repaired, which had considerable water damage. This roof was repaired in bad spots, an EPDM roof, and the friend did not have the funds for a completely new decking and membrane. The leaks were from caulk failure, not membrane issues. The old roof was coated with Henry's 885 seam coating on all joints where caulk would have been used, followed by Henry's 887 coating on the large open areas. Note: This is not a walk-on roof, you had to use a plywood support board to service the roof.

The gutter rails with Henry 885 seam repair and then top coated with 887 while still wet. This treatment stops water from wicking in rusted screws behind the vinyl screw cover. There is no more vinyl screw cover.

The whole roof with all seams treated with Henry's 885 and cured before doing two coats of Henry 887 coating on the whole area.

The first 887 coat was applied to wait to cure.

Both options create high confidence that there will be no roof membrane or seam leaks.

Since so much effort was put into the restoration and the roof, the siding and siding moldings had to be addressed to make the camper last. All siding penetrations (doors, windows, cargo doors, power cords, fresh water fill door, water heater, and furnace were removed and serviced, etc.; any opening or molding in the siding. The old putty tape was removed, and new high-quality commercial building butyl was installed along with RV Proflex caulking over the exposed butyl tape. Point: While you may not have to remove everything in the siding, water damage through a siding opening can be as bad or worse than roof leaks. You will still need to inspect and re-caulk any of for siding joints, but they are at least at ground level.

I'm not saying you need to go to either of these methods; there is more to each of them than the few pics I showed, but if you have an older camper and want to keep it for another ten years where it lives outside all the time with snow conditions, you have to do something with the roof and check the siding joints.

I hope this helps,

John

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
My Funfinder is a 2008 and has been in the sun all but the last two years of its life. I purchased a cover for the RV and I kind of wish I had done it long ago. In my case, the cover works well. It takes about 15 minutes by myself to cover the 24ft trailer. I purchased a cover that was a bit too big but works well.

The roof is still in good shape and I wash it twice a year. I too would like to keep it for some more years. What can go wrong? It's a basic trailer that has no special bells or whistles. Living in Mexico there really isn't an RV repair option so any minor issues are handled by a plumber, electrician or recently a mechanic who cleaned and greased the brakes.

That said, it would be nice to think about a product that would be easy to apply when the time comes and will last for some time.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
John, you've given me a lot to think about! I don't know what my roof is made of -- but it has lasted for 11 years of constant sun exposure with no leakage at all, no cracking, no trouble yet.

And it would be nice to keep this little trailer for about ten more years -- I am in my early 70s, and I doubt I will be able to deal with trailering much beyond 80. I wish I could, I hope I will, but that is not the way to bet.

Having said that, I don't want to do a half baked job of preventive maintenance. So I have some homework to do.

The fact that I am not getting input from many Duck Coat users is itself very useful info. Let's stick with the tried and true.
About our trailer

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
naturist wrote:
As a former industrial coatings chemist, I can tell you that "easy pour-on" generally also means "almost good." While I have never (yet) coated an RV roof with any of these products, the nature of the beast is such that a clean roof, good surface prep, and smear -- not simple dump the bucket -- technique is at least as important as the product chosen for the job.

I just bought a 4.7 gallon bucket of Henry Tropicool to do my RV roof, a task I'll be undertaking this spring before camping season. @JBarca, I'm all ears for your experience and tips regarding that product.

Hi, I'm glad to help and share what I have learned, but this will get involved and can be off-topic with what Profdant139 wants to do with his post. Maybe better to start a new post etc. And with that, we need to know your roof membrane, how old it is, and, ideally, some pics of your roof in its current condition. And read over my last response above since you already jumped to Henry 887; what are your expectations?

A former coating chemist, good you will bring a lot to this on making bonds to low surface energy surfaces. And how to do adhesion tests. I look forward to your post. PM me if you decide to create one so I can see it.

Thanks

John

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
profdant139 wrote:
John, thanks for that detailed answer! I don't have a leak, and my roof looks fine -- but I am one of those "be prepared" folks, so I am doing my homework ahead of time.

And the fact that Duck Coat does not have data sheets is not encouraging. I will keep on going with my research.

In my dreams, there is some sort of an easy to use, pour-on roof coating that dries quickly.

I guess that as I have gotten older, my dreams have become much less interesting than they were when I was young! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi profdant139,

Thanks for your openness and for starting a search before the need comes.

I'll say a few big-picture statements about camper roof coatings. I can get deeper into this if wanted. I do not want to bury you so early in the investigation. These are my "view" on the topics, and my views may be very different than yours or others. Feel free to ask for a more in-depth understanding of where I'm coming from.

There are many things RV roof coatings do well, and there are some that do not do well at all.

You mentioned
Profdant139 wrote:
"In my dreams, there is some sort of an easy to use, pour-on roof coating that dries quickly"

1. How long do you want this coating to last? And are you thinking that the coating will get you out of roof caulking inspections? I'm trying to present some options that better fit your camping situation. If you sell the camper in 3 to 5 years, which is the life of the coating system expectation, then there are some lower-cost, less work-to-do options. They may fit your dream of being quick and easier to use.

2. If you want the coating or other ways to eliminate roof caulking inspections and touch-ups with high confidence those roof seams and roof penetrations will remain leak-free for a long or short time, then there are a few ways to do this. I know of two ways I have used on several campers with and without a roof coating to deal with the seams. One method is to Eternabond every roof seam and penetration, including the gutter rails. If the roof membrane requires a coating due to age, there are lesser-cost options for the coating; they do not last as long. We must discuss your roof membrane; what is it? EPDM, PVC, TPO, metal or fiberglass? This option can be done in phases, and it will take time. It takes me three days straight, once the roof is cleaned and prepped (yet another topic, cleaning, and prep), to Ebond the entire roof where caulk was used. Depending on how many years you want out of the coating, the cost and life of the coating will vary pending want you want to do. NOTE: Many coatings will not bond long-term to E Bond's TPO surface unless treated. In this case, the coating enhances the exposed membrane, not the seams/penetrations, as that is what the Ebond is for.

3. If you want to keep your camper for a good long time (20 plus years), you want the coating to deal with all seams and joints that caulk use to be used, and you want close to a maintenance-free roof, then this option will take more effort and have more cost. But, it has a higher odds of lasting the camper's life. The actual work will take a little more time than option 2, but the cost will be higher, but when you're done, you are done. The coating must have a 50-year to lifetime warranty and be applied "right". How to do this right will take more time to type as there is this learning curve; you will need to understand how coatings bond to all the materials used on a camper roof, not just the membrane. The learning here is more involved than in option 2. This is where Henry's 885 and 887 products come in, and the Crazy Seal if you want to go that route.

And then there are pre-existing leaks. Roof seam leaks and siding penetration leaks have tricked many a good camper. If they do not see a leak in the living space, they feel and think they are leak free. Have you scanned your camper with a moisture meter and have high confidence there are no leaks? If there is water damage in the walls or ceiling, those areas need to be accessed and a determination made on what to do with them. Stop the leak and determine whether you will mitigate water damage or not. Option 2 or 3, when you have a wall or ceiling leak, can mean removing the gutter rails or corner moldings to assess the water damage. Ideally, these area gets addressed before the roof treatment system goes on so you do not disturb them.

Again, I'm trying to help explain what a roof coating can do well, but it comes with your expectations. So, what do your expectations fit into, Item 1, 2, or 3? Many folks have just gone and applied a roof coating, thinking it will solve all their problems, to find out later they never knew what all is included and find out the hard way the coating failed them. I'm trying to help you not fall into that group.

I have done options 2 and 3 when the friend I am helping wants to keep their camper for a long time or my family's campers. If you are doing this work yourself, It will take time; some can be done in stages, and for some, you must go for it and get it done.

Please tell us what your roof membrane is, ideally a few pics of it and the seams now, how confident you have no ceiling or wall leaks, what you have done to confirm you have no leaks, and what options listed above your expectations fall into. I'm glad to explain more, but we need to hone in on what you want to get out of all this.

I hope this helps,

John

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I been using this pressure washer accessory on the roof for a few years now. No scrubbing just pass it back and forth.

Roof cleaner

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
As a former industrial coatings chemist, I can tell you that "easy pour-on" generally also means "almost good." While I have never (yet) coated an RV roof with any of these products, the nature of the beast is such that a clean roof, good surface prep, and smear -- not simple dump the bucket -- technique is at least as important as the product chosen for the job.

I just bought a 4.7 gallon bucket of Henry Tropicool to do my RV roof, a task I'll be undertaking this spring before camping season. @JBarca, I'm all ears for your experience and tips regarding that product.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
John, thanks for that detailed answer! I don't have a leak, and my roof looks fine -- but I am one of those "be prepared" folks, so I am doing my homework ahead of time.

And the fact that Duck Coat does not have data sheets is not encouraging. I will keep on going with my research.

In my dreams, there is some sort of an easy to use, pour-on roof coating that dries quickly.

I guess that as I have gotten older, my dreams have become much less interesting than they were when I was young! ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have not heard of that product for RV's; they offer two products. https://duckcoat.com/white-silicone-rv-roof-coating/ and https://duckcoat.com/duck-coat-rv-15-year-white-elastomeric-roof-coating/

Which exact product are you looking at? They offer both acrylic and high-solids silicone products, but both are very different.

And a heads up, they have elected not to include tech data on the RV coating products on their site; why? They have the SDSs as required by law, but there do not have tech data sheets for their RV coatings. See here: https://duckcoat.com/resources/

Does your roof leak now? What is your want/need by doing the coating? How long do you want the coating to last?

Trying to help, not challenge. I have experience with high-solids silicone RV coatings using Henry's 885/887 Tropi-cool and Crazy Seal brands. I have done 3 campers already and soon a 4th with these coatings. Each one there was learning from doing them. There is a learning curve pending what you are doing and trying to accomplish. I am just trying to help you avoid some of the pitfalls of marketing, not spelling out or needing to make the warranty work hiding in the fine print.

Let us know some of what and why you want to roof coat your camper, we can help better.

Hope this helps,

John