Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brevard County Florida camping fee changes

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Very quietly, Brevard County Commissioners have restructured the camping fees at our County Park campgrounds. This apparently was due to complaints from county residents of not being able to reserve sites during the winter months, because of the extended stay "snowbirds"
The result was a raising of the basic camping fees by 200% now being $48. per day for a water and electric site. If you want full hookups, or a water view, you pay a premium fee on top of the daily fee!
Also, the length of stay has been dropped from 169 days to 90 days. All in all, this seems a bit excessive and I am a County Resident!. If I am going to have to pay a premium to get a full hookup site, I might as well go to a private campground and have more amenities!

Bandaid
20 REPLIES 20

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm not sure raising the rate 200% is the answer to what they perceived to be a problem. That may just keep local residents from signing up. We used to camp at Wickham park but haven't now for years. It was due to the homeless, the dead bodies (yes, dead bodies) and inconsiderate campers, i.e., loud music, loud and profane yelling, etc. They had no restrictions on campers and one group would tow their motorhomes in because they wouldn't run. They all camped around the bathhouses and basically took them over to where you didn't even feel comfortable using the laundry.

What caused the most problem, in my estimation, was the 5+ months of camping. Rules weren't enforced and too many homeless. The changes they made to address that resulted in removing the habitat for many of the animals which we enjoyed seeing.

Dale

I think raising the rates and shortening the length-of-stay would really help clean up some of the county parks like Wickham. We live close enough to that park that we visit there often; but I'm not sure I'd want to camp there due to stories of what goes on after dark. Also - blaming Snowbirds is a favorite hobby in FL, it seems....LOL! Much easier than addressing long-term problems....

I drove through there 2 weeks ago when I was staying with my granddaughter. They have removed so much of the "woods" behind the campsites that there is nothing between the camp and the parking lot for the college behind it. You used to have a feeling of being out in the wild, but now you are basically in a parking lot. And the lights from the game fields was bright before. . . must light up your site like daylight. They have ruined this park for campers who like peace and quiet. I will never stay there again.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirds will simply go to south Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas etc. They're not obligated to go to Florida, and those state are less expensive.

You'll still find every site reserved every weekend year-round in Florida. The difference will be that parks are empty Monday through Thursday.
-jbh-

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In the end FL residents are pointing the finger at the outsiders hoping that eliminating outsiders will make more sites available.
However its tough to get sites in my state and we do not have a huge influx of outsiders. WE also have state income tax!
If tourism is your game than outsiders are part of the equation. Eliminating outsiders may send FL. down a slippery slope.
At the end of it all don't think the policy will improve CG access. THere are simply not enough sites to meet demand with or without out of state campers.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm not sure raising the rate 200% is the answer to what they perceived to be a problem. That may just keep local residents from signing up. We used to camp at Wickham park but haven't now for years. It was due to the homeless, the dead bodies (yes, dead bodies) and inconsiderate campers, i.e., loud music, loud and profane yelling, etc. They had no restrictions on campers and one group would tow their motorhomes in because they wouldn't run. They all camped around the bathhouses and basically took them over to where you didn't even feel comfortable using the laundry.

What caused the most problem, in my estimation, was the 5+ months of camping. Rules weren't enforced and too many homeless. The changes they made to address that resulted in removing the habitat for many of the animals which we enjoyed seeing.

Dale

I think raising the rates and shortening the length-of-stay would really help clean up some of the county parks like Wickham. We live close enough to that park that we visit there often; but I'm not sure I'd want to camp there due to stories of what goes on after dark. Also - blaming Snowbirds is a favorite hobby in FL, it seems....LOL! Much easier than addressing long-term problems....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
When I posted about the increase in the Brevard County Camping fee's. the information I had was in a newspaper report of the County Commissioners meeting last month. To my knowledge, they have not updated the campground websites yet, as the snowbirds are still grandfathered in for this season, as well as those who had made reservations under the old fees. Please, before you flame me on reporting this, check out the County Commissioners minutes. People who were camped at Hammock Landing went to the meeting and voiced their displeasure. The County Commissioners voted in the new rates at either their October, or November meeting.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from FL. Stayed 3 weeks in 3 different parks. Orlando KOA, Everglades RV park, Peacon grove RV park. 5 nights, 6 nights, 6 nights, other nights I was on the road at truck stops. Avg was around $102 a night. Went to Myrtle beach for 5 nights $60 a night. All 4 campgrounds were full hook up, 50 amp.
I was gone 4 weeks total. I know you can save a bunch by renting a site by the week or month. Not in the cards for me this time.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Bandaid wrote:
The result was a raising of the basic camping fees by 200% now being $48. per day for a water and electric site. If you want full hookups, or a water view, you pay a premium fee on top of the daily fee!
THEY DIDN'T RAISE THE BASIC CAMPING FEE BY 200%!

First of all, you say the new fee is $48. But there is no campground on their website that charges $48. There are three campgrounds, and the most expensive is Long Point, at $44 for a water/electric site. Not $48.

Here's an archived version of their website showing fees at Long Point in June of 2022:
Long Point rates in June 2022

A water/electric site was $28. Raising it to $44 is a 57% increase, not a 200% increase as you claim.

And the big increase is only for nonresidents. You, as a resident, will now pay $29.67 for a water/electric site at Long Point, up a whopping 6%.

johnhicks wrote:
Turns out Brevard County residents aren't participating in the rate increases, $27/day for them and $46/day for everyone else.
No, according to the link that you provided, for Long Point it's $29.67/day for residents, and $44/day for nonresidents. At Manatee Hammock, it's $27.55/day for residents (which is close to your "$27") but $41/day for nonresidents (which isn't close to your "$46"). So I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers.

I'm wondering if the OP just "heard" that rates were going up 200% and raced here to complain, and didn't actually verify anything. Particularly because the new pricing structure greatly favors county residents--residents' camping fees at Long Point went up by 6% while fees for non-residents went up by 57% (again, nowhere near 200%). County residents pay the same year-round, while non-residents pay more in-season than out-of-season. County residents can book up to 13 months in advance, while non-residents can book up to 12 months in advance. (I don't like that reservations might have to be made a year in advance, but at least there's a period where residents have the ability to book and non-residents don't.)

Bandaid wrote:
If I am going to have to pay a premium to get a full hookup site, I might as well go to a private campground and have more amenities!
For a full hookup site at Long Point, you'll add $2 to your resident rate of $29.67, for a total of $31.67. I've stayed at only half a dozen or so RV parks in Florida, and none in Brevard County, but on my latest swing through the state, I was consistently seeing rates of about $70 in December. So $31.67 looks like a real deal for a full hookup site.

Bandaid wrote:
Also, the length of stay has been dropped from 169 days to 90 days.
Actually, it was 168 days, not 169. See rule #6 here:
Long Point campground rules in June 2022

But what objection would a county resident have to a limit of 90 days per reservation? If I were a resident wanting to camp locally, I'd welcome that because it wouldn't affect me at all but might make it less attractive for long-term people (although 90 days probably will still work for a lot of snowbirds).

dedmiston
It's pretty easy to fix your location if you're interested:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/myforums/subaction/profile.cfm

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
If you're a county resident then why does your signature say Holcomb New York.

Probably for the same reason mine does, we joined the forum while living in NY and got smart and moved to Florida.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
They should have dropped the stay time to 2 weeks like Fl state parks.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out Brevard County residents aren't participating in the rate increases, $27/day for them and $46/day for everyone else.

https://www.brevardfl.gov/ParksAndRecreation/Campgrounds/LongPointParkCampground/Rates
-jbh-

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bandaid wrote:
All in all, this seems a bit excessive and I am a County Resident!.
Bandaid

Bandaid: Your profile says you are not a resident of Brevard County but a resident of Holcomb, NY.

Scottiemom wrote:

Dale

Seems to me that those parks are being abused. Raising the rates may start to address it but it also needs enforcement to clear out the crime issue.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Politicians do as they please--I am involved in a situation where they raised the property tax on minerals 600% yet have not yet set the tax amount and won't until a month after the deadline to appeal. Now just how is that supposed to work?