Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here! 1986 Holiday Rambler Alternator

EvelynHoliday
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!!

I have recently purchased a 1986 Holiday Rambler Chevy 454 p30 Chassis. It started when I bought it and now it won't start at all. My mechanic says it needs a new alternator since the batteries I replaced are brand new.

Any ideas on which alternator to get? I could really use some help--no idea how the whole system works. A manual would be helpful, but it didn't come with one.

Anyone dealing with or dealt with the same issue?

Thanks for your help! I am excited to work on it and get on the road!
11 REPLIES 11

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Evelyn,

Simple start of a diagnostic tree:
If it doesn't start after sitting, it is the batteries.
Charge the batteries.
If it still doesn't start, look for a bad connection to the starter.
If it started once and will not start 3~6 days later, you have a parasitic load killing the batteries.

If you take it somewhere and it doesn't want to start to come home, that can be the alternator.
If the lights get dim when running at night, that it the alternator.

Early in the game, buy a plug in the lighter volt meter. Running you should see 13.5~14.5 Volts. After sitting should be 12.5~12.6. After three days, it should still say ~12.5.
Cranking, the thing should stay over 10.0 Volts. If it drops below that, you have a problem that needs to be identified.

The year 454 should have a 27SI alternator. They come in lots of flavors. If it has a single sheave pulley, do not install a replacement that is over 100 amp because it can make short work of that single belt.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your alternator if original is probably around 80 amps. When mine went out on the road I replaced it with a 180 amp one which was able to charge my 2 6vGC house batteries as well as the chassis battery. If you go to a shop that rewinds motors and alternators, they can rewind one using your same case. I would check the alternator yourself before you remove it to see if it is actually bad. Jump start the MH and check to see if you can read 14v or so on the battery if so, it is still good. If not move up to the alternator output itself and see if it is outputting 14v's, if so, you may have a fuse or bad wire to the battery, if not you know for sure the alternator is bad. Just because you have new batteries doesn't mean your alternator is bad because the engine won't start. It maybe something as simple as corroded or loose wires to the battery or even a starter issue.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
More likely than not, you have a Magnatek 63XX converter. In the unlikely event it still works, the battery charge line output is only 3 amps.
You can keep the fuse box and converter body but you'll wan't to plan on upgrading the charger section. You can easily swap it out with a Progressive Dynamics (PDI) unit like a PDI9245 or PDI9260 and get the latest technology.
Check out Best Converter. They have detailed instructions on replacing your charge center.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^Above is a good point, especially if adding another house battery. All converter/chargers are not equal, and an 86 model may not have a quality converter, with smart charger. An upgrade to a newer model may be a wise decision, and not a huge expense.

You could post the brand/model you have now, to get more thoughts.

Jerry

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you will be living in the RV, the necessary power will not be coming from your engine alternator. The alternator may help keep the batteries charged while driving but once you stop, NADA! You will need a good battery charger, either a converter or an inverter charger larger enough to keep your house batteries charged. It may also be setup to keep your engine starting batteries charged as well (or not).

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to get replacement locally without too much trouble. I would be looking for one with at least 90-amp output.
If you haven't done so, get a new set of belts at the same time.
NAPA is very pricey!
I would take to a location that performs alternator bench testing. O'Reilly's and AutoZone offer this service.
Around here they can get replacement within a day or so. Both offer lifetime guarantees on some.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

EvelynHoliday
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thank you. I am calling Napa when they open. I like the idea of taking it out and taking it to Napa so they get the correct match. I am planning to add another Chassis battery, what is a good output for the alternator? We will be living in it and using a lot of power.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
NAPA auto parts has parts for old autos and such many times. I would try them first. Rock Auto online is the last resort for old vehicles. That engine however is some major auto engine from that time period. It wasn't made by Holiday.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can agree you want a replacement equal or higher output than original.
When it comes to alternators I have had much better luck marking mine, and taking it in for rebuild instead of part store factory rebuild.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a high output alternator. You have both chassis and house batteries to charge.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum!

If your new batteries are in fact discharged, you need to recharge them right away, as it will ruin them to sit totally discharged.

If you trust your mechanics recommendation, then someone should remove the alternator, take it to a quality auto parts store, to purchase replacement. They can look up replacement needed, and can see if theirs matches the one you have. Often times, you can trade your old one, getting a little savings on the new one.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your recent purchase. Holiday Ramblers were a good model, and the 454 a solid engine.

Jerry