Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Inverter and battery sizing to power my camper microwave
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inverter and battery sizing to power my camper microwave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“For the sake of discussion, I will say this: *IF* this $300 (US) 2000 watt Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2-US inverter is capable of 4000w for 5 sec, it would make it one of the best performing high-frequency 2000w inverters on the market, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, this is a huge if. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”

X2 - Maybe it means 5 seconds before the blue smoke appears??

3 tons

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/23 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

otrfun wrote:

For the sake of discussion, I will say this: *IF* this $300 (US) 2000 watt Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2-US inverter is capable of 4000w for 5 sec, it would make it one of the best performing high-frequency 2000w inverters on the market, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, this is a huge if. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
X2 - Maybe it means 5 seconds before the blue smoke appears??

3 tons
Could be, but I hope not--lol! From a bang-for-a-buck, consumer point-of-view, it would be awesome if the Renogy could produce 4000w for 5 sec. Who wouldn't want that kind of performance for $300?! Once/if word got out, it would be a hands-down best seller. Unfortunately, until proven otherwise, I'm just going to believe Renogy's official literature which says it produces 4000w of peak power. A spec that's on par with the vast majority of budget, 2000w high-frequency inverters.

LaneW

Hayden, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Thanks for all your help. Here is where I am at with this, and I'd appreciate your thoughts:

Plan is to install 2, 100 ah lithium batteries, a 2000w inverter and a DC-DC charger. (again, just trying to power 1350w microwave as my largest load.

I'm looking at 2 possible approaches.

1.I simply buy batteries, inverter, dc-dc from Renogy so everything is the same manufacturer. Avoid any interconnection, compatibility issues.

2. I prefer some specific components, so the other option is: Buy 2, 100 ah SOK batteries. A Victron Orion 30 a DC-DC charger (Im told they are superior). Then the Renogy 2000w inverter that you guys have been talking about and recommending here.

I am not looking for the cheapest, I am looking for the safest, most reliable approach. What say you? Option 1 or 2, or a different one?
Thank you!

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My approach is to buy good stuff from the start because there’s not much economy in having to do a repurchase…

3 toms

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LaneW wrote:

Buy 2, 100 ah SOK batteries....I am not looking for the cheapest, I am looking for the safest, most reliable approach.
Is there some reason you chose the SOK rather than say, Battleborn?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman,

Price would be much cheaper for SOK

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Price would be much cheaper for SOK
Yes, which is why I quoted what he said about cheap.

LaneW

Hayden, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/23 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

LaneW wrote:

Buy 2, 100 ah SOK batteries....I am not looking for the cheapest, I am looking for the safest, most reliable approach.
Is there some reason you chose the SOK rather than say, Battleborn?

I have seeing some really positive stuff about Battle Born…… agreed or not?

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/23 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LaneW wrote:

.. positive stuff about Battle Born…… agreed or not?
I always buy the best I can afford, and if you plan on RVing for many more years, I would buy the BBs.

It's not that cheaper products won't work, it's for how *long* they will work. My life experience is 'you get what you pay for.'.. every time.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/23 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

LaneW wrote:

.. positive stuff about Battle Born…… agreed or not?
I always buy the best I can afford, and if you plan on RVing for many more years, I would buy the BBs.

It's not that cheaper products won't work, it's for how *long* they will work. My life experience is 'you get what you pay for.'.. every time.

battleborn is way over priced for what it is. the componants are being used by other as 1/2 the price and with a different formfactor (ie prismatic instead of round battery cells, even less while the technology and quality remains the same. I would argue there is more potential for something to go wring in a battle born with over 100 cells soldered in as aposed to a prismatic type with only 8 battery conections, but it will be easier to detect on the prismatic. when battle born came out they were almost the only player so they could set there pricing where they wanted.. now they have failed to drop there pricing to reflect current componant pricing so other have filled that space with quality products. what did battle born do, they launched dragonfly there OEM division for rv shops and such so they can charge 3800 cdn plus taxes for a 270AH battery. no thanks concidering I built my first 280AH battery for under 700 bucks. saving 3000 is worth learning how to do it to me haha

here is a good video from will about the 3 cheepest good quality batteries and he even mentions ones not to buy.

video

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inverter and battery sizing to power my camper microwave
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.