cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 15 Indiana

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I will be leaving the Knoxville Tn area heading up to Elkhart later on this year. I am considering running up Hwy 15 in Indiana once I hit I-69 getting on it around the Marion area. Not being in a rush I would like to take it easy. To those in the know how is Hwy 15?
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023
8 REPLIES 8

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
No I am staying in Middlebury. We have an appointment at MorRyde to have our suspension upgraded to IS and disc brakes. Just looking at the route you are taking 31 to 24 up 15 looks ok too. 15 is closer to Middlebury which is one reason I was thinking of that route. I don't mind some traffic but road construction is the pits sometimes especially if there are detours involved. It looks like I have several options.
I will look at DOT's construction map for some ideas as well.

Thanks to all.
Camping Hoss
Lucie our fur baby

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
Summer before last there was a lot of construction on 31 and also 20. Since Goshen is my hometown, I visit there every summer. My sister lives just off 15 south of Warsaw. True, there are a few towns, but a charming drive and I normally choose that over 31/20.

Dale

Thank you. I have been thru on I-69 but never used 15. The only pics of the road I could find on the internet were dated so I was wondering. It sounds like you travel that road enough and I value your opinion. I just did not want to get stuck on a road pulling a 40 footer that was stop and go too much.

For years I drove our 40' Phaeton towing a truck on 15. No problems. Our doctors were in Indy so we often stayed in/around there and then took 15 to northern Indiana. I-69 has always been a parking lot northeast of Indy and it doesn't go to Elkhart. They've been doing a lot of work on it up around the music center, but I try to avoid that by going the back roads. Follow the truck route through Wabash.

Dale

I'm no longer in the 40'er and still go 15. I sometimes take 465 around the east side of Indy to 31 north of Indy. I take it to 24, then east to 15 at Wabash. That way you could feel out 31. Are you staying at Elkhart Campground?
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought the twining of 31 was completed several years ago, but that may have just been the northern part, close to South Bend. The connection to Elkhart has been done for years. (My inlaws had a house that was demolished to make way for that expansion)

Looking more closely on Google Maps, I see that the new, full freeway quality part is north of Kokomo (or US24).

Further search with Indiana DOT, shows that there is a construction project for several miles on 31 near Indianapolis. And some preliminary work on an intersection on 15 near Goshen.

An interesting novelty on the I DOT travel map - their snow plows have webcams.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
Summer before last there was a lot of construction on 31 and also 20. Since Goshen is my hometown, I visit there every summer. My sister lives just off 15 south of Warsaw. True, there are a few towns, but a charming drive and I normally choose that over 31/20.

Dale

Thank you. I have been thru on I-69 but never used 15. The only pics of the road I could find on the internet were dated so I was wondering. It sounds like you travel that road enough and I value your opinion. I just did not want to get stuck on a road pulling a 40 footer that was stop and go too much.
Camping Hoss
Lucie our fur baby

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you for your suggestion. While I am not in a hurry I still don't want to get in a bunch of congestion and small towns with stop lights. I can hit 31 in Indianapolis to I-20.
Camping Hoss
Lucie our fur baby

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the us31 us20 suggestion

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US31 and 20 is a bit longer, but limited access all the way, so no slowing down through towns.