cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Peace River Campground in Arcadia Florida

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricane Ian caused the Peace River to flood.

Peace River Campground
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB
11 REPLIES 11

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keeping all in Florida in our prayers. Friends of ours tell us there are water moccasins, gators, and even a shark was spotting swimming in the streets. Let's be careful out there.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
LOL I have lived thru both multiple tornadoes and hurricane.
Did anyone reallly think that a forecasted hurricane of that size hitting anywhere on the west coast only affect what a 10 mile stretch of coast or maybe a 20 mile stretch?
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Several things are abundantly clear. Boats are disposable. Trailers are not good hurricane shelters. Aluminum carports should be recycled into cans. People don't learn from the past and mistakes of others. When we are directly responsible for ourselves and it goes south we will blame others for our mistakes.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
It's true, we knew the hurricane was coming. But all the forecasts and tracks had it landing further north in the Tampa area. Over 200,000 people there were evacuated, etc.. The storm just inched eastward with each update. They planned on a devastating storm surge in the Tampa area and as it was, the bay was basically drained prior to landfall further south. Where I live in central Florida east of Tampa we were forecast for 24 inches of rain. We got 2.4 inches. We still were in the path and got hit, but from a different direction and that made all the difference. As I watch the video of Peace River, I would guess most of those RV's were there permanently and people may not have had the means to move them. I haven't heard how many if any loss of life there.

It's easy to look back and say, "You should have done this. . . or that." How great it would be if we had that information sooner than later.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
In the beginning of the video the guy says there was no time to evacuate.
This had been forecasted way ahead of time.
I'm sorry but failure to heed warning is somewhat irresponsible.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed further downriver at Deep Creek. I bet it also was underwater.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The problem will be compounded by the 44000 FEMA and private contractors flooding into the area for repairs. A necessary evil. DeSantis may seek migrants to help with the repairs before it's all over.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
We stayed there this summer , water was not that deep .Sorry for those people , most seemed like Snowbirds ! This loss will continue for years , RVs will avoid Florida because of lack of spaces !

???
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
This is more terrible news. I'm so sorry.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed there this summer , water was not that deep .Sorry for those people , most seemed like Snowbirds ! This loss will continue for years , RVs will avoid Florida because of lack of spaces !

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
That's just heartbreaking ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!