cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter not charging batteries

facalton
Explorer
Explorer
The converter is not fully charging the twin batteries. It will charge them to about 75%. I put an external charger on them and they reached 100% Does this mean I need a new converter or is there a way I can correct the problem?

TIA
12 REPLIES 12

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start with the basics & check all connections between converter & battery bank.

If you determine that the converter is at fault you might consider upgrading to a multi stage programable charger & get all of your 12V needs from the battery bank, just like boats are set up.

While you are in there get a pure sinewave inverter. Do not get a inverter charger. If one part goes bad the whole thing needs to be replaced. Separate units means just the faulty unit gets replaced.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
facalton wrote:
Converter: Parallax Power Supply. Electronic 7100 Series.

Parallex 7100 has two versions 71xx and 71xxt The T is two stage and might get you to "Full" Either live with it (Finishing with an external Smart Charger) or upgrade the "Guts" of the unit with a Progressive Dynamics 4600 series (Match the last 2 digits as close as possible)

The 7100 is a single stage (Float) Charger. it does not do bulk or ansorption the 4600 does. The 7100 T has a "Timed" Bulk phase when you first plug it in.. I'm guessing if you unplug wait a few minutes and re-plug that "Boost" mode will finish the charge (may take a couple replugs)

Also how accurate is your method of measuring charge?
A temperature compensated hydrometer is accurate.
Other methods (Unless lab calibrated) not so much.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

facalton
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the power supply on the parallax 7100. All issues resolved and working properly. Over time the battery charging system gets weak and needs replacing.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
facalton wrote:

I would replace it and move to an inverter charger. I left my converter in place but unplugged.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a new converter get a model with a setting that will charge Lithium batteries but needing to plug in to charge your batteries gets old very quickly. Solar is my first recharging method. A Noco Genius AC to DC plugs into the truck when driving and is my second recharging method. The third method, Noco plugged into a generator, is no longer. I donโ€™t take the generator. Iโ€™ve disabled my seven pin and converter charging methods.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

facalton
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
While locating information, use a voltmeter to test voltage.
Check voltage at the converter and then at the battery. If connections are bad somewhere in the circuit voltage at the battery will be substantially lower.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Or if it says WFCO just plan on replacing it.

WFCO is what comes with most RVs. Concur, replace it with one that does multi-stage charging.

If you are thinking about getting an inverter, now is the time to get a combination inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How are you determining 100% state of charge?

Make and model of the converter would be needful to give more than a general answer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post the model number of the converter.
Or if it says WFCO just plan on replacing it.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What brand/make and model and size is the power converter? And how old is it?

Do you have a voltmeter? When the converter appears to get to 75%, what was the charging voltage before the 75% and then after the 75%? Do the test at the battery terminals and ideally reported in at least one decimal point, 2 decimal points is better.

Also, how long was the system sitting at 75% and not going any higher? A few hours or a day or more not gaining any higher state of charge.

What are you using to measure state of charge?

We are making the assumption your system worked before and now does not. Is that the case, or did you just buy the camper and this is what you have?

By chance, was there any power draw going on inside the camper when the system stopped charging any higher? If yes, what was powered up?

What group size twin battery's are they? Group, 24, 27 31 etc. And are they lead acid or other technology.

We need some more background to help back into what might be the issue to give better answers.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would check connections between converter and battery.
What kind of rig, make and model?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker