cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

switching to dual propane

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer came with a single propane bottle setup. I am planning to switch to dual bottles. Is there anything hard about that?

I think I need a new rack, a switchover valve, and a new cover. Anything else?

Are some switchover valves also regulators, or do I need to keep the one I have?
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
19 REPLIES 19

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
waynefi wrote:
Interesting, one comment on Amazon said that it decides which tank to draw from based on which tank you open first. I like the knob better than that.
Um NO. There is a pointer and that will be the primary cylinder that empties first.

Very possible the amazon person is clueless.

Not seen in the pictures as it is behind pointing at the left side.

See this picture:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112973376810

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
waynefi wrote:
Interesting, one comment on Amazon said that it decides which tank to draw from based on which tank you open first. I like the knob better than that.

Yes. But. If you open the tank that the regulator is NOT pointing at, the regulator will show red, meaning no propane at the tank pointed at, but propane will be drawn from the open tank. When you, then, open the second tank (the one pointed at) the regulator will turn green, meaning it is getting propane from THAT tank. If both tanks have propane, and both tanks are open, and the regulator is green, it is drawing from the tank that is pointed at.

In other words, that commenter has no idea how it works.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
waynefi wrote:

Great, then go buy one. This is like a 1 hour 1 beer project
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
rPod 195
Tacoma V6

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
waynefi wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
This is the switchover valve that I recommend. It is also a regulator, so you don't need your current one. Other than that, you about have it covered.

Cavagna Kosan 924N RV Auto Changeover Regulator w/RV 'L' Bracket.

What is it that you like about the Cavagna? I can see the advantage of one that has a lever to tell it which tank to use first.

1. It is easy to read from any angle. The red that you see in the photo means the selected tank is empty. When you select the full tank, that red turns green. The color is not only visible from the end like the photo shows. The color is also visible from the side, any side.
2. It has a knob to tell it which tank to pull from first rather than a lever. The white ring around the clear section turns with a pointer to point to one tank or the other so you know which tank is selected.
3. I have read a LOT of failure posts about the one with the lever. I have read very few failure posts about this one.
Bobbo and Lin

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
This is the switchover valve that I recommend. It is also a regulator, so you don't need your current one. Other than that, you about have it covered.

Cavagna Kosan 924N RV Auto Changeover Regulator w/RV 'L' Bracket.

What is it that you like about the Cavagna? I can see the advantage of one that has a lever to tell it which tank to use first.
rPod 195
Tacoma V6

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
Do you actually use a lot of propane? Just curious. My TT has two 30lb tanks, and we've never emptied one of them in one season. But... we only go out usually a couple weekends in the fall, when we mostly use the heater in the TT which gobbles propane.

I use my tt year round, 2 years ago I was going through a bottle a week or better with the trailer being heated to 70F for 8-12 hours a day. Last winter I added a 3rd circuit and with 2.5-3kw of electric heaters I barely went through any. If you're going to use your trailer in the winter up north without electric it's a must IMHO.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Option is a new rack and only connect one tank, when it runs empty manually transfer and re-light any pilots.. (most things other than oven are often DSI now days so that's not often an issue)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Helped a neighbour with that. Most of what you need will be in stock at either an RV store of homedepot (for the hardware). We used threaded rod etc.

Ours also only came with one but we just decided to carry an emergency 5 pound bottle in case we ever ran out. 12000 kilometres on the road so far this year and havenโ€™t miscalculated yet. :). I just pick up the 20 and give it a shake to see how much is still in there.

Good luck with the project.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I just realized that the regulator pictured by Bobbo above already has the mount installed on it. Just slide it down over the rod and then put the wingnut on above it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
waynefi wrote:
bucky wrote:
You'll also need a double holder, a rod, and a large wingnut to secure the new load. Maybe a 30 or 40 pounder single would be easier if height isn't an issue?

The propane holders I see on etrailer include a shelf, the rod, and a crossbar the holds on to the top of the propane tanks. Iโ€™m not sure how the switchover valve mounts.

Thanks to the people who showed the combined switchover/regulator. That does make mounting easier.

We do a lot of spring and fall camping. Itโ€™s less crowded then. With a single tank what I would wind up doing is carrying a spare tank in the truck so I can swap it when the first one goes empty. I donโ€™t really like carrying a propane tank in the truck, and the first one is likely to go empty at an inconvenient time, like when Iโ€™m off doing something, so DW has to do the switchover.

You're tracking right. And that stuff is easy/simple to add.
If you're using the furnace, yes you'll plow through some LP. Dunno what your consumption rate is. Our old TC with a slideout was good for 3+ weeks on a 20lb bottle in "fall" weather running the furnace in the evening and early morning.
Another suggestion, get a 30lb bottle. $100 gets you 50% more LP than you have assuming the single is a 20lb.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The mounting bracket holds the regulator on the rod between the tanks. Put the crossbar between the tanks. Then slide the mount over the rod and let it sit on top of the crossbar and use the wingnut to hold it all together.
Oh and use small bolts to hold the regulator to the mount.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
You'll also need a double holder, a rod, and a large wingnut to secure the new load. Maybe a 30 or 40 pounder single would be easier if height isn't an issue?

The propane holders I see on etrailer include a shelf, the rod, and a crossbar the holds on to the top of the propane tanks. Iโ€™m not sure how the switchover valve mounts.

Thanks to the people who showed the combined switchover/regulator. That does make mounting easier.

We do a lot of spring and fall camping. Itโ€™s less crowded then. With a single tank what I would wind up doing is carrying a spare tank in the truck so I can swap it when the first one goes empty. I donโ€™t really like carrying a propane tank in the truck, and the first one is likely to go empty at an inconvenient time, like when Iโ€™m off doing something, so DW has to do the switchover.
rPod 195
Tacoma V6

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:

But that leaves him with the same problem, only less frequently. When the tank gets empty, he has nothing. With a dual setup, when the first tank gets empty, you have plenty of time to remove it and get it filled while the second tank is providing propane.
Bobbo and Lin