cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to look for in a tire pressure monitoring system for TT

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any 'stay away froms' or 'gotta haves' re features in a TPMS for a travel trailer? What can the pricier ones do that the more economical ones can't? Do they all have a dedicated display monitor, or can some be routed to a phone app or something?

thx
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
6 REPLIES 6

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a TST brand TPMS. I went with TST really for no other reason that it comes from the real world of 18 wheeler long haul trucking. Those guys rely on knowing what's going on and that sat well with me.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

smokamoto
Explorer
Explorer
In my limited experience, stay away from Tire Minder model RV-4. Arrived with a dead sensor that took arm wrestling to get a new one.
Then after 1:40 of travel time the sensors started dropping out with โ€œno signalโ€. Let it sit overnight and then works for another 1:40 (must be a contract thing lol). Again more arm wrestling to get a whole new system. Both of these events required sending the bad parts back - postage paid though.
The new system had the same 1:40 no signal problem. By then I was disappointed, frustrated, and fed up. I bought a TST system which has been flawless for 2 years now!

Iโ€™m using the Tire Minder in my 2006 tow vehicle (only has a warning light) which is fine for short trips. But now one sensor is dead, no new battery or re-pairing revived it so I contacted Tire Minder about a new sensor under warranty. Surprise-what I thought was a lifetime warranty is really only 1 year, so into the EWaste it goes.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with the TST. It has a monitor that displays temp and psi for each tire. Easy to take quick looks as part of your normal scanning while driving. You can set parameters for the alarms. I think I'd find a system that relied only on alarms to be less useful.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TireMinder brand. The model I have has a phone app so another screen is not required. I have sensors on the truck and trailer. So far I have not had a low pressure situation for it to alert of. It is the only tpms I have used so can't compare it to others.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
First thing you need to knw is that any valve stem tpms sensor needs to be mounted on a metal valve stem per the instructions that come with the systems. Next is that you need one that reads when the unit is stationary. Some need to travel a certain distance before the sensors wake up. Last thing you want is to get under way and find out that your tire is low when you are already on the road. The TST systems are a standard for a lot of the trucking industry and are extremely reliable. You will get what you pay for.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most everything we buy for our RV we research and read reviews from Amazon and watch product videos on youtube to narrow down possible selections. No doubt accurate tire pressure and temperature are primary features for any TPMS, equally paramount is consistent connectivity to dedicated monitor or cellphone (via app) from valve stem mounted sensors, some may require a repeater be installed depending on distance from sensors to display.

Most TPMS have the same features, some monitors show tire info incremently while some show all tires at one time. Of course there are the major brands that tend to cost double the price of their less known competitors, whether they perform better and are worth the extra expenditure will be your call. We recently purchased six new 22.5" tires for our class A and picked up a 10 sensor TPMS with repeater on Amazon to monitor our $3K+ investment in rubber and Michelin tires on our toad.