cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
While parked at home I have been leaving my A/C running at at 80 degrees while not inside. Should I leave a/c on or just run the vents? It’s 103 degrees in Texas daily
11 REPLIES 11

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dunno about keeping it cool but keeping it dry is not a bad idea.

A small dehumidifier should do it. Need to devise a way to drain it. Perhaps put it on counter & drain into the sink.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Of course it is up to you but we leave our 3 vents and a couple of windows open during the summer months. Our RVs have always been stored at home, plugged in with batteries fully charged and fridge running for any whim departures during active RVing season. If someone is staying over we will run RV ACs for as long as needed, we don't fret the electric bill or the fuel bill, why would we even have an RV if that was the case.

I live in the country with a long dusty road so I can’t leave the windows open or it would look like a desert. I do have vent covers on top so that helps

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course it is up to you but we leave our 3 vents and a couple of windows open during the summer months. Our RVs have always been stored at home, plugged in with batteries fully charged and fridge running for any whim departures during active RVing season. If someone is staying over we will run RV ACs for as long as needed, we don't fret the electric bill or the fuel bill, why would we even have an RV if that was the case.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I expect BRFNK has the same issue I do-----humidity. Our fiver is well insulated and with it being under a shelter out of the sun the a/c's only run periodically. I try to maintain 50 to 60% humidity by adjusting the temp. Over many years of doing so I have been successful in doing this over the summer months.
I don't sweat a few extra bucks over the summer since we are not home that much anyway.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get the vent covers (if you don't already have them) so you can leave them open even in the rain and leave them open. Don't bother leaving the fan running, hot air rises, so you will get natural convection.

Running the air/con provides no value and just consumes electricity.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old camper had a crank out window in the living room and we installed a vent cover in the bathroom. Left the window and vent open year round, it was fine. No smells, no mildew stink, no black tank smell.

New camper is under a carport cover, so we leave the bathroom vent open and windows on the slideout open year round. Again, no smells and no issues.

I wouldn't run the AC unless I was worried about humidity. Even then, its probably cheaper to run a dehumidifier that drains into your largest holding tank (or run a hose to the outside). Keeping your RV cool when you don't use it is just a waste of money and electricity.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
waste of money to keep it plugged in.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Ours stays plugged in year round. I keep the a/c set on 82 in the hot months. The residential frig stays on year round just like the ones in my garage and kitchen. I think it is better for residential frigs than shutting them down.
However, our fiver stays packed year round. The closet is full of both winter and summer clothing. The fiver is ready to roll at a whim. During the winter I use several damp rid buckets along with a small ceramic electric heater. It is under a shed out of the sun and weather.

Do yours like you feel is best.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
If you aren’t using the RV, why cool it?

I will second that. Texas is short on Watts this month and if the grid fails again for sure they are gonna start "Emergency Pricing" again. I'm talking 10-20-30-More what you paid last month.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just unplug. Check the water in the battery and use the disconnect.
TX grid needs a break.

The new units on the dealer lots are left the same way.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you aren’t using the RV, why cool it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad