cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a Cpap in my AF 27-5

timn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we bought a 2018 AF 27-5 and are leaving in August and I can't figure out how i am going to run my resmed Cpap while boondocking any ideas. I have several USB ports near the head board are there a adapter I can buy? Would appreciate any ideas thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my dream station and the "wall wart" or more correctly "line wart" has a 12 volt output.

bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I use this when we don't have power. Without the humidifier I can go 4-5 days without charging. 2 days with the humidifier.

This

that is what I hoped somebody would compare to a jackery at 1/3 the cost.
bumpy

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use this when we don't have power. Without the humidifier I can go 4-5 days without charging. 2 days with the humidifier.

This
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
We just went a week boondocking in the Sierras. I could have simply plugged the AC adapter into an outlet using the inverter, but I thought I would try to be more efficient. So, I bought the 12v adapter for my wife's Resmed off Amazon and an extension cable for the cigarette plug. I have 2 12v marine batteries from Costco, a 135 watt solar panel on the roof and a portable 100 watt panel I can move around to optimize solar exposure.

We ran the humidifier on low (no heated hose). Batteries never got below 86 percent or so by morning after running the CPAP all night. We had a relatively small number of clouds that week and the batteries were replenished by the sun by lunch time each day. I had my generator with me but never had to fire it up.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small Jackery that I paid around $2-$300. Works fine. Recharge in the truck during the day as we drive.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mounted an inverter in the battery box and put a 50a receptacle on the front of the trailer, wired to the transfer box. 2200w inverter hard wired to 50a plug. I pull the plug out of the battery box, plug it in, and I have 120v throughout the 27-5L

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
I built a 24v battery bank and run a Samlex 2200 watt all in one inverter/ charger /transfer switch. It is wired to the main board so the receptacles for my wifeโ€™s cpap are on as well as for the fridge. The transfer from shore power to battery is so fast the tvโ€™s and computer donโ€™t even flicker. The fridge was upgraded to a compressor fridge. Now our food stays cold and we donโ€™t worry about having to get a campground. We still do campgrounds as my wife is just happier if we do.

timn
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
GaryUT wrote:
Most resmed machines run on 24 volts.

Go to cpap.com search for resmed 12v cable in the search box, find the one for your machine. You will need a 12v socket added to the trailer to use the cpap machine on 12v.

Running it off 12 volts is more efficient than using an inverter.

I don't use a CPAP but I am sitting in a 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5l and they have a 12 volt plug, a 120 volt plug and USB plugs on each side of the bed making it pretty easy to do what Gary suggested.

That's weird on my 2018 27-5 I don't have a 12volt beside my bed wished I did.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
GaryUT wrote:

Go to cpap.com search for resmed 12v cable in the search box, find the one for your machine. You will need a 12v socket added to the trailer to use the cpap machine on 12v.

I don't use a CPAP but I am sitting in a 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5l and they have a 12 volt plug, a 120 volt plug and USB plugs on each side of the bed making it pretty easy to do what Gary suggested.

Nice!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
GaryUT wrote:

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard if a jackery before but they sound neat but for $600 and up they better work.
but how many amp hours do the various ones provide. Yes, they have some neat features however.
bumpy

However what? The Jackery was just used as an example, there are many others out there for cheaper and I was just giving an example of what can be used. I have used a smaller battery on my Resmed 10 that lasted 8hrs on long flights without a problem of course without the humidifier and heated tube on.

You can easily figure out the amp hours they produce.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard if a jackery before but they sound neat but for $600 and up they better work.
but how many amp hours do the various ones provide. Yes, they have some neat features however.
bumpy

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I guess it depends on how long you will be boondocking. As others have said just dont use the heated hose and humidifier. You can also buy an external battery pack like Jackery to plug into that should be good for a few days

Depending on the size of Jackery, you can go up to two weeks. We have the 1000 and do.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

You could always use one of these in a pinch - - -
Portable power
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet