cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper question

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I am looking for any helpful considerations. Considering a 3500 SRW 6.7 HO for a truck camper. Will be right at payload capacity. Pros/cons of air suspension, mega vs cc (longer vs shorter wheel base) etc. I've heard air is good for slightly better ride offloaded and loading/unloading camper but also that it's a waste if loaded a lot of time and could be a service expense down the line. Mega vs. CC is mostly longer wheel base. Going SRW for off-road capability but nothing too aggressive. And snow driving unloaded in deep winter. Any other items to note would be appreciated!
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP went poof ! Disappearing actโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
Lesson learned (by far too many over and over ad nauseamโ€ฆ).

Pick the camper FIRST then get the truck capable of toting itโ€ฆ

3 tons

Good idea, but easier said than done. I got the camper first, then truck recommendations from an experienced RV dealer and several truck dealers. All of the recommendations were way off because the weight of the camper ready for use was underestimated by a ton.

To be of help we all need to learn more about the camper involved.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson learned (by far too many over and over ad nauseamโ€ฆ).

Pick the camper FIRST then get the truck capable of toting itโ€ฆ

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
If all you're hauling is a truck camper I would go with a gas dually.

BINGO!! (this could easily range from a Capri Cowboy to a Host Mammoth - lol)

3 tons

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not want a mega. A CC with 8' bed is already loooong.

Second, and most important, what do you mean that the weight will be near capacity? Does that include propane, water? How about any modifications such as accessories the manufacturer did not include, mattress upgrades, solar, extra battery, generator? Then there is what is typically about 1000# of "personal" items such as lawn chairs, BBQ, clothing, food, cooking/eating gear, tools, toiletries, towels, sheets/bedding, electronics/cameras/laptop, passengers, etc, etc.

You can easily find your rig weighs more than 1500# over the manufacturer's claimed "wet" weight.

If all of that is still within but near max load, the first place to look is tires. You don't want to be overloaded or at max. You might be able to upgrade just the tires or might need to go all out for 19.5 rims and tires.

Suspension upgrades are almost always going to help or be absolutely necessary. I would put airbags last on the list. Mine just gave too much sway but others have had success with them. Instead I would start with something like Timbrens. That will help level the ride and keep the headlights from blinding oncoming traffic. Next if more is needed, I would look at SuperSprings. They are relatively cheap, and can be adjusted and installed by the owner. Heavy duty shocks can also help but if the suspension can handle the load, they may not be needed.

Highway_Runner
Explorer
Explorer
Most of what you are asking is personal preference based on experience.
I setup my suspension to handle the load and the road and the dirt.
Donโ€™t go cheap!
2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A 3500 srw Ram has a 7000 rawr that will be carrying (any truck) most if not all of the truck campers weight. Front axle isn't that big of a player with heavy camper hanging out back.
A 3500 srw crew cab rear axle can weigh around 3500 lbs which leaves 3500 lbs for a loaded truck camper.
Those 4000-4500 lb payloads on 350/3500 srw trucks are a gvwr based payload (front and rear axles) will overload any of the one ton srw trucks rear axle.

Rear air suspension is a good option if available.

The Ram Mega cab comes only with a 6' 4" bed.

Its been my experience anything over 140" wheel base rides/handles just as well, if not better, than a 170' wb when all the load is on the trucks rear axle.

I would suggest a one ton drw with those big 9700-10500 lb rawr for carrying a 3800-5000 ln truck camper.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If all you're hauling is a truck camper I would go with a gas dually.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
OK, What camper are you getting, What truck are you thinking about putting it on all three big names are close to the same but of course they could be upgraded. Where do you live that you'll be in deep snow? I think your saying it will be a daily driver as well as a camper carrier. Bloof is right in that there's to much generalization. You'll have to zero in on some thing for us.

With that said, I have a daily driver and have no problems with or without the camper and mine has every acc. in the world except air bags. It is a ruff ride with the camper off!
If it's a 4x4 it shouldn't have a problem in deep snow with or without the camper on. My Silverado dually with 4x4 took us everywhere we wanted to go in the north east winters for many years.
Weight limitations are specific to each and every camper. What ever your comfortable with.
I personally like the longer wheel base but I have never off roaded.
Mine is a mega cab and I can't live without it.

Good luck

Have you seen the price of diesal?

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
vidotchis wrote:
Hi there, I am looking for any helpful considerations. Considering a 3500 SRW 6.7 HO for a truck camper. Will be right at payload capacity. Pros/cons of air suspension, mega vs cc (longer vs shorter wheel base) etc. I've heard air is good for slightly better ride offloaded and loading/unloading camper but also that it's a waste if loaded a lot of time and could be a service expense down the line. Mega vs. CC is mostly longer wheel base. Going SRW for off-road capability but nothing too aggressive. And snow driving unloaded in deep winter. Any other items to note would be appreciated!

I'm sorry but is there a actual specific question here?

You've inadvertently touched a swath of topics that are hotly debated almost constantly here.

Some folks care about 'payload' and others not so much. If your one that cares keep in mind that whatever camper your looking at you'll need to add ~+1000lbs to the dry weight to be in the ball park of the wet and ready for camping weight.

Whatever truck your considering using there are likely 1000's of folks using it to haul campers on/off road. Generally speaking just about everybody makes modifications to their truck to better carry/handle a top heavy load like a camper.

Please never overload the weight capacity of your tires.

The 'big 3' all make trucks that are used as you've described. Pick one.

- Mark0.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No air. Well it would be ok I think , but for a TC presumably decent size one, Iโ€™d want a full leaf pack with a little air support vs less springs and more air like a OE setup.
Crew vs Mega or short vs longbed is just whether your camper is a long bed model or if youโ€™re going shortbed camper and want a Mega cab. Wheelbase isnโ€™t different enough to matter.
Good luck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold