cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Courtesies

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
As travel season gears up, perhaps its time to again list those courtesies for the sake of new RVers. Feel free to contribute to the list of courteous manners.

• Follow campground rules.
  • Keep your pet under control and pick up after them.
  • Don't play your tv or music too loud at your campsite. Not everyone likes your taste in programs.
  • Avoid walking through another campsite if at all possible. Go around.
  • Don't take up two (or more) parking spaces with your RV when visiting towns.
  • Don't ask someone to trade campsites with you. It takes a couple of hours to set up and take down camp. Unless you're willing to pay them $100/hour, don't ask.

Feel free to add more courtesies.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
40 REPLIES 40

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
toedtoes wrote:
Pick a campground that matches your camping style.

Very true.

There's a private campground we visit with friends sometimes. It's party central. It's marketed as such. Quiet hours start at 1pm, people break out the karaoke, set up shot bars, etc... It's great fun once in a while. (it's not kid friendly and they discourage kids)

We always get a site away from the main party site and walk down to participate, so we when we decide to call it a night, we can walk back to our site and the music is at a reasonable level but it's our choice to visit, so we don't complain.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bob213 wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
I have a couple more: leave the dog at home and don't play music outside of your RV.

Obviously you have never enjoyed the love and companionship of a good dog. My dog bothers NO ONE and brings us nothing but joy. If my dog is not welcome either are we.

Not a dog hater by any stretch (we've owned multiple dogs and taken them with us camping) but 9 times out of 10 when an owner says their dog isn't a problem, they just aren't or choose not to see the problems.

Be proactive and assume your dog isn't the perfect angel until proven otherwise. Check occasionally with neighbors that he hasn't been barking or bothering them if you don't take him with you. Use a leash no matter how well behaved and harmless you think he is. Do not tolerate dogs jumping or lunging at people (even if you know it's completely friendly). If you are proactive, most people will be more tolerant.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dogs.... I like dogs. Most dogs like me. Irresponsible dog owners, that's another thing. We got to our sight last week, got backed in and set up. All's well. Then I notice the dozen or so piles of excrement along the edge of the site. I let the owner know about it and he came out and cleaned it all up. And he apologized for the situation. He said the site was occupied by one family all week and they just left before we got there. They do have in their rules that charges will be applied for things like not cleaning up after your animals and leaving trash in the fire pit.
The is the second year of ownership and he seems like a fair but firm type of owner. Hopefully those guests will not be welcome back. As that seems to be the only way to stop poor behavior.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hope I'm not an old codger yet? :B but what I find annoying is finding garbage in my site or in my fire pit. Please clean up after yourself.

On the same subject we do river fishing every year, sometimes I will see garbage floating down the river, some of the stuff might be wind blown (please secure your garbage) but some of the stuff people/kids just chuck in the river... not good..

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

For example, if you don't like the sound of generators, pick a campground that bans or limits the use of generators. And if you must use a generator, pick a campground that has no restrictions on generator use.

Don't choose a campground that doesn't match your camping style and then complain about people camping according to the rules or ignore the rules and do as you please.

Good point!

ken56 wrote:
Follow the speed limits in the parks. I know 5 mph is just agony to do but there are small kids playing at times and it helps keep the dust down too. Just stop being in a rush to get to the exit.

Yes!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

For example, if you don't like the sound of generators, pick a campground that bans or limits the use of generators. And if you must use a generator, pick a campground that has no restrictions on generator use.

Don't choose a campground that doesn't match your camping style and then complain about people camping according to the rules or ignore the rules and do as you please.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the speed limits in the parks. I know 5 mph is just agony to do but there are small kids playing at times and it helps keep the dust down too. Just stop being in a rush to get to the exit.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I think there are three types of "inconsiderate people". Those who don't care. Those who don't know. And those who do it purposely.

The last, nothing will change. They will always be inconsiderate.

The second, they just need someone to give them a polite heads up - whether in person or through threads like this.

The first, they are the ones that need multiple non-aggressive reminders. They are likely to get defensive if you approach them at the time. But enough reminders at other times MAY get through to them.

Summed up nicely.

Some friends of ours camped at an SP. They were literally pestered by this woman who kept wanting them to change sites so her daughter could park in the spot. The park is first come, first serve. After the third encounter with this woman our friends got the park ranger involved. She was warned to leave other campers alone or be expelled. In that case our friends felt she had emotional problems. This really doesn't fall into any of the three categories you mentioned. It's just another example of things that can happen.

Magnus

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also think that by identifying courtesies, we can better see our own prejudices and lack of compromise.

There's an example in this thread where a lack of compromise has made its way through.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there are three types of "inconsiderate people". Those who don't care. Those who don't know. And those who do it purposely.

The last, nothing will change. They will always be inconsiderate.

The second, they just need someone to give them a polite heads up - whether in person or through threads like this.

The first, they are the ones that need multiple non-aggressive reminders. They are likely to get defensive if you approach them at the time. But enough reminders at other times MAY get through to them.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

It's not the age (generation) of the idividual, it's the times we live in (era). I've witnessed 70+ year olds being just as self-centered as young folks, and young folks who have been extremely courteous.

BINGO.

Sjm9911 wrote:
Ok, I just want to add patience and understanding on both sides. And maybe, if you have that , you can take the time to explain and teach people some courtesies. People don't know what they don't know.

One of the objectives of RV.Net is to educate new RVers. Many people ignore campground rules, courtesies or common sense once they leave home. We see it all the time.

The experienced have always educated the newcomers. RVing has some common sense courtesies that others may never had to learn. This thread is in keeping with one of the purposes of RV.Net: Education.

I don't think its many people that ignore the rules. As I said and you eluded to , some people just don't know. Your saying people ignore the rules, that means they know the rules. I dont find that common place. Usally people are more then happy to follow the rules once they are aware of them. And I find, at least in my experience, its a few people and not many that this applies to. I will agree that many are bothered by some actions of a few. But once you talk to those few , its usally not a problem. Addtionally, I dont see a lot of campers just going up to the neighbors and telling them that there outside light kept them up all night. Some do but most dont. If something bothers you, you can nicely just talk to them. Usually thats all it takes.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

It's not the age (generation) of the idividual, it's the times we live in (era). I've witnessed 70+ year olds being just as self-centered as young folks, and young folks who have been extremely courteous.

BINGO.

Sjm9911 wrote:
Ok, I just want to add patience and understanding on both sides. And maybe, if you have that , you can take the time to explain and teach people some courtesies. People don't know what they don't know.

One of the objectives of RV.Net is to educate new RVers. Many people ignore campground rules, courtesies or common sense once they leave home. We see it all the time.

The experienced have always educated the newcomers. RVing has some common sense courtesies that others may never had to learn. This thread is in keeping with one of the purposes of RV.Net: Education.

Magnus

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Noise and bright light is one thing, we all have fun in different ways ... but at some point in the evening it should become muted. We all need sleep, and loudness keeping folks awake in a campground during the later hours is definitely inexcusable.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I just want to add patiance and understanding on both sides. And maybe, if you have that , you can take the time to explain and teach people some courtesies. People dont know what they dont know. My two cents, worth nothing now because of inflation.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.