cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General Question on Discounts

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready to purchase a new travel trailer in the 20' to 25' range. I've identified about four or five that fit my needs. It appears that dealers are willing to shave about 18%-20% off the MSRP. Is it realistic to expect this discount for a cash offer? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The ceramic coating?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Why didnโ€™t you just get the credit union financing to begin with?

I was approved at my CU before I even stepped foot into the dealership. By using the dealer's financing I was able to get a better deal, in one instance it money off the top, and this last time they gave me more for my trade (yes I know it's a money shell game). The finance guys use the financing kickbacks to talk you into things like the extended warranty and ceramic coatings. "What if I tell you I can lower your payment AND you can have the ceramic coating!" Forget the coating and just give me the difference in the price.

The only drawback to this scenario is that often you can't refinance until the "official" registration arrives from the state, which can take 30 days or so.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

In my case, using the dealer financing dropped the price of the car $1500.

It wasn't the lowest interest rate I could have found, but I knew I'd be paying it off right away so it didn't matter.

If I had intended on keeping the loan, it would have made sense to take the discount for using their financing, and then moving it to a credit union as the other poster did.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
30-35% off msrp is typical invoice pricing on most new trailers.
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
I'll also add that paying cash might actually be a downside for the dealer. If they get some form of kick-back from the finance company they work with, they wouldn't get that on a cash deal.

When I bought my last used car, I was told that if I wanted the lowest price, I would need to finance it. I could pay it off the first month if I had the cash to do so.

Don't know if this is true in all situations, but it makes sense.

This. Dealers work with certain lenders and get compensation for it.

For the last two cars I bought (one just weeks ago), I got their best price and used their financing. The moment I got home I started the process of refinancing to my local CU. My payment is now lower and the term shorter.

When shopping, I never discuss financing until a price is agreed upon.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'll also add that paying cash might actually be a downside for the dealer. If they get some form of kick-back from the finance company they work with, they wouldn't get that on a cash deal.

When I bought my last used car, I was told that if I wanted the lowest price, I would need to finance it. I could pay it off the first month if I had the cash to do so.

Don't know if this is true in all situations, but it makes sense.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that your offer is a cash offer has no bearing. The dealer gets 'cash' either way -- either from you or from the lender. Cash-in-hand is usually a good incentive for a private seller, but to a dealer it makes no difference.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot depends on the trailer(s) that you are interested in. Are they popular models with popular floor plans? Are they "orphans", models that are being discontinued? You said cash. Money talks.

In the past, one could start with a larger discount in mind, more along the lines of 30-40% off the MSRP. Plenty of folks have done that...in the past. That was then, this is now. Does cash/money still talk?

Start with a bigger discount off. The worst they can say is No and make a counter offer. Be prepared to walk if they are not willing to negotiate. Search here for previous threads about what folks have paid in the past.

And consider buying at the end of the month and if possible late in the day at the end of the month. Quotas may still have to be met and I've used this tactic for buying cars in the past and getting a better than average deal.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait a month....prices will be even lower.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
bgum, I'm just remembering the past, in 08/09 gas prices went way up, large vehicles lost value and market. Now we have the next similar mentality running/screwing things and again, fuel starts going up, the only real difference is that this time there are shortages of mini vehicles/roller skates for the energy fearing hoardes to run to.
Some are trying to use this as an excuse to shift folks to EV's, but the chip shortages are even making those scarce.
This time, its likely the controller types will have better success in making people stay home in fear of Coronacrud.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove 1/2 way across the country from east to west and from west to east also from north to south and back. We did not witness any shortage in RV'S. There may be some shortage but it would be local.

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking the same thing. Moving toward winter with gas prices rising, I was hoping the frenzy would cool a bit. If you Google "Best time to buy RV", the results show that sales slump in September. October and November are good with December and January being best. I'm getting ready to find out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Still would like to hear if my estimate of 18% - 20% holds water.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Paying cash eliminates the dealerโ€™s kickback (sorryโ€ฆfinderโ€™s fee) from the finance company. Donโ€™t be too quick to tell the dealer you have the cash.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad