cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can morbidly obese person use a travel trailer?

RedBeef
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I tried searching for the answer, but had no luck finding someone discussing this topic. I have a friend who is morbidly obese. I know this person is at least 400 pounds, possibly as much as 450. He might be gifted a small travel trailer from his elderly grandparents(I don't know the model), and from what I gather it is probably around 2600 pounds and likely around 18'. It is one of the ones that have a queen or full size bed on one end, a small table, half fridge, and a toilet/sink bathroom. No kitchen area. My concern is that the structure of the trailer may no be able to handle a single person of 400+ pounds. He came by so see my travel trailer once, which was new at the time, about 24", with a kitchen, small full bathroom, queen bed, decent sized table and seats, and bunk beds. Not a big trailer, but bigger than the one he is supposed to be getting. When he stepped on the single drop-down step to get in, I thought for sure it was going to break off because it bowed quite a bit and when I looked later on, I saw it had a 280 pound weight limit. When he was inside, it felt like the floor bowed with each step he took. I tell you this only to explain what I saw first hand with his weight in an RV. So, if he gets his trailer, do you think there will be an issue with the overall structure of the trailer? I know it can hold several people that would easily weigh a bunch over 400 pounds, but the weight is distributed and not concentrated in one place. On my trailer, the bed base is only a thin 1/4 inch plywood with a 2x2 cross shaped joist/brace. I assume similar style beds are about the same. Again, I know it could hold two adult people of 200 lbs with no problem, but again, the weight is more evenly distributed. Finally, if he is able to physically fit in the tiny bathroom to use the toilet, would a typical plastic toilet hold that much weight? I care a great deal about my friend, but of course, weight is a touchy subject and I don't want to insult him by expressing my concerns with out researching it first. But if it could be an issue, I want to make sure he knows some of the potential downsides beforehand, so it won't be a shock/disappointment if it turns out that he can't safely use it. In a nutshell, do you think a small RV is enough to accommodate a 400 to 450lb person? Thank you so much for your help.
17 REPLIES 17

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those beds may not support that kind of weight..

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine's son weighted just over 500#. He lost his job as a truck driver because he kept bending the stairs on the truck even after the trucking company had moved his seat for his stomach to clear the wheel. He wasn't that heavy when they hired him ( 275# ) but when he continued to gain weight they asked him to lose some. All that did was make him bitter. After losing his job he eventually fell thru the floor of his mobile home and had to call the fire department to get him out. If a mobile home couldn't hold his weight I have doubts that a travel trailer would hold up the weight of your friend.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
horse trailers with living accommodations and a steel floor might be an option. Some of them are really nice and expensive. Area for the horses can be used for cargo, etc.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever been to an RV show? I see the size of some of the people that are looking at lightweight trailers and just wonder how it works out in the end...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I wasn't the only one that could not stop thinking of the toilet and small bathroom.
No, no way 400 lbs makes a job in a small camper bathroom, and unlikely to get a shower either.

Do you weld? Cross members could be put under the walking-area of the floor by just welding in some extra pieces, or wood could be used, like 2x4s but that is a little more work. An extra layer of wood on the floor can be added on top if needed also, if that even becomes a problem.

Get rid of the folding step, it will break or bend the camper main frame. A step stool on the ground will have to do and he might not be that agile at 400 lbs either, he does not sound healthy.

I don't think the weight is an issue for the camper otherwise, just his size and agility. If the shoe fits, wear it...

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious seeing the post title, after reading the OP's post simple answer

It's non of my business
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My buddy lived in one for years. I think he made use of the RV parks restrooms if I'm not mistaken. He was so proud of it...it had the "northwoods package."
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I've been well over 300 pounds, the lighter the trailer the less it help up my weight. A smaller work/play type RV would have a stronger floor. The biggest problem will probably be the shower and maybe the toilet, but he could use a CG bath house. I was about 319 pounds naked when I owned my Arctic Fox TT and had no issues. I had a large residential style shower, but I wasn't 400 pounds either, so don't know first hand. All my RV's had porcelain toilets. The Artic Fox floors felt very solid, my light weight toy hauler floors flex some under my 270 pound weight. My current trailer would not hold up to a 400 pounder, I know that.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flooring and bedframe can be reinforced should he enjoy the lifestyle, if he can possibly get to walkaround inside before his maiden voyage things can be shored up. I've been to dozens of RV shows and there are plenty of large men perusing TTs, maybe not 450lbs but easily 350lbs, not sure if just a 100lbs more is catastrophic unless TT is low end junk. Most steps on TTs give way to pretty much any weight placed on them, easy to just use a solid step or upgrade to quality swing out stairs. Anyway, it could be sold and put toward a quality unit if he decides to pursue RVing.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
One item that might give way is the floor. 1/4" luan over styrofoam gives way with kids running around on it. Had a visitor on my boat that was about that size and he put a big footprint shaped crack into the deck. 5/8" ply behind the fiberglass. Do a quick search for soft floors and you will get the idea.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with time2roll. If the person can enter and exit and hitch up, yes, but KD has a good point.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest worry would be the plastic toilet, shower, and it's tight confines. Other than that, as long as he fits thru the door it should be fine.
Using the campground bathroom would probably be a good idea.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Specific items might need to be reinforced but it's unlikely the main structure would fail.

Assuming a single step, it's probably pretty low to the ground so a sturdy box on the ground might be a good alternative.

Most bed frames are 1/2" plywood, so probably not going to fail and it would be simple enough to add a 1/2" layer on top.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The average RV is built to accommodate average size people. The structure, starting with steps, and even the furniture, is designed for average size/weight.

While many things can be redone/beefed up, for a very heavy person, I don't think a small trailer will end up being a great experience for your friend.

I hope I'm wrong! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry