cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chinese RV tires... holding up!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new RV with factory installed Made in China tires with unknown brand.

I figure I'll have it replaced after a year.

But to my pleasant surprise, after a thousand miles and 5 months in deep winter storage, the air pressure on it has held up.

Well, maybe in another year or two?:B
94 REPLIES 94

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Unobtanium wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Maybe further state the fact that since their introduction they have had ZERO reported non road hazard failures.

Tread may be thin but mine are dated 2017 and have around 20k and they may have lost 1/16" of the tread. Rubber compound plays a HUGE part in how long a tire lasts.

Zero reported non road hazard failures? Reported to where? Here or some other internet forum?. I had two that developed bubbles in the sidewalls which I don't think were caused by road hazards, and didn't report them to anyone other than the tire shop where they were purchased, which replaced them.

The key word here is reported , sure there has been non road hazard failures , and they don't know this forum exists .

Unobtanium
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Maybe further state the fact that since their introduction they have had ZERO reported non road hazard failures.

Tread may be thin but mine are dated 2017 and have around 20k and they may have lost 1/16" of the tread. Rubber compound plays a HUGE part in how long a tire lasts.

Zero reported non road hazard failures? Reported to where? Here or some other internet forum?. I had two that developed bubbles in the sidewalls which I don't think were caused by road hazards, and didn't report them to anyone other than the tire shop where they were purchased, which replaced them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WAM wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

As previously posted I recently had two of them throw tread. Tire Rack would not warranty them, but Goodyear did. And quite fairly. I replaced them again with Endurance because I don't know of anything better. At least not small enough to fit my car hauler. Wish I could run 16's and get a lot more options. But I'd have to raise my fenders and maybe separate my axles a bit. Too much work.

That is still nothing for four years on the market.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

As previously posted I recently had two of them throw tread. Tire Rack would not warranty them, but Goodyear did. And quite fairly. I replaced them again with Endurance because I don't know of anything better. At least not small enough to fit my car hauler. Wish I could run 16's and get a lot more options. But I'd have to raise my fenders and maybe separate my axles a bit. Too much work.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4
Alpenlite 9.5 Cheyenne slide-in

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah... most of the current 16" G rated tire brands are made for the service trailer industry. Most are commercial grade all steel ply carcass tires and have became popular with rv trailer owners looking for a long trouble free service tire on 7k-8k axles. Their good for 60k-80k miles depending depending on type of use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We ran Sailuns 635-16-80 which are G rated for years in our toyhowler. We replaced them with Samsonโ€™s 635-16-80 also G rated due to axel problems and have had no issues. Prior to that, 2010-11 we had Towmax and had several blowouts.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Goodyear Marathons were made in the USA many years before moving them out of the USA. The orig made in USA Marathons were basically a 3500-5000 mile tire before throwing their treads or internal structure issues.
Goodyear improved them a bit some time in the Y2K era with a circle S stamped on the side wall but due to their narrow tread design on a 75 series carcass they were still prone to failures especially high mileage trailers. We called them Goodyear may pops.
Being a niche tire the materials and tooling/molds were moved to china

In 2017 Goodyear did a complete redesign on their ST tire with the Endurance. The Endurance lost that basket ball shape carcass and a narrow tread. Goodyear points this tire more to RV type trailer with the very thin 8/32nds tread depth. The tire is very popular on rv websites.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

China can manufacturer whatever you want. Just bring a sample and give them the downpayment for minimum order.

Quality. Don't bet on it.

But if a US company control and supervises the manufacturing with veery specific quality materials and QA, it can be comparable to US made.

That's how I guide myself in buying anything around. US brand, wherever it's manufactured.

Goodyear tried twice to move their trailer tire production to China, they kept producing junk. Now Goodyear makes their trailer tires in the USA.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
A family friend runs his family trucking business, a few years back he changed the fleet over to Chinese (company and manufactured) tires after hearing so many good things about them.

He says they are far superior to the traditional brands in all aspects, and FAR less money.

Wonder who you can sue for damages in case failure of the tire due to faulty manufacturing.

Or would the manufacture in China even respond?

You donโ€™t actually believe that a Chinese company (or any other international company) has no domestic presence and the cash flow is entirely offshore with no ability to go after it do you?

Michelinโ€™s money all goes straight to France?

Toyoโ€™s money all goes straight to Japan?

Pirelliโ€™s money all goes straight to Italy?

BTW, โ€œsuperiorโ€ means โ€œbetter thanโ€ โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
A family friend runs his family trucking business, a few years back he changed the fleet over to Chinese (company and manufactured) tires after hearing so many good things about them.

He says they are far superior to the traditional brands in all aspects, and FAR less money.

Wonder who you can sue for damages in case failure of the tire due to faulty manufacturing.

Or would the manufacture in China even respond?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Dtank wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
I have a lot more confidence in US or Japanese branded tires even if marked Made in China as I'm pretty sure it was made under our standards and strict supervision.

"Branded tires".

The (mainland) Chinese are very capable of manufacturing tires to the buyers specifications!

Michelin has mfg facilities in China along with other brands who put their BRAND NAME on the tires.

However - even YOU can be a distributor of YOUR brand of tires mfg in China to YOUR specs.

Simplified:
YOU place the minimum order for "Yosemite" Tires, have them shipped to the USA, line up distributors and you're good to go.

Also,cut a deal with trailer manufactures to equip their product with Yosemite tires - which meet the desired load range for the trailer.
(Think "Bean Counters"!)

Soooo maybe lots of complaints and tire failures! Next batch gets a new brand name. If folks are happy with their "Yosemites", they get good reviews (like in this thread).

When a company has THEIR name on the tire - their expectations (and specs) are higher....Ex: Michelin.

Unfortunately - sometimes even USA mfg tires can be losers! Ex: USA mfg Goodyear Marathons from a few years ago. The Airstream forums have (negative) threads that never stopped - but would be deleted or closed on other forums. If you bought a new trlr a few years ago, it had USA mfg GY Marathons (with lots of unhappy folks on RV Net also).

My Marathons developed bubbles & tread seperation in the first year, with a mimimal load range (D) for a 10K (unloaded) trlr.

Best of luck -and trouble free miles- with your choice of shoes!

:W

One line could be "Idgit Camels"

China can manufacturer whatever you want. Just bring a sample and give them the downpayment for minimum order.

Quality. Don't bet on it.

But if a US company control and supervises the manufacturing with veery specific quality materials and QA, it can be comparable to US made.

That's how I guide myself in buying anything around. US brand, wherever it's manufactured.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
I have a lot more confidence in US or Japanese branded tires even if marked Made in China as I'm pretty sure it was made under our standards and strict supervision.

"Branded tires".

The (mainland) Chinese are very capable of manufacturing tires to the buyers specifications!

Michelin has mfg facilities in China along with other brands who put their BRAND NAME on the tires.

However - even YOU can be a distributor of YOUR brand of tires mfg in China to YOUR specs.

Simplified:
YOU place the minimum order for "Yosemite" Tires, have them shipped to the USA, line up distributors and you're good to go.

Also,cut a deal with trailer manufactures to equip their product with Yosemite tires - which meet the desired load range for the trailer.
(Think "Bean Counters"!)

Soooo maybe lots of complaints and tire failures! Next batch gets a new brand name. If folks are happy with their "Yosemites", they get good reviews (like in this thread).

When a company has THEIR name on the tire - their expectations (and specs) are higher....Ex: Michelin.

Unfortunately - sometimes even USA mfg tires can be losers! Ex: USA mfg Goodyear Marathons from a few years ago. The Airstream forums have (negative) threads that never stopped - but would be deleted or closed on other forums. If you bought a new trlr a few years ago, it had USA mfg GY Marathons (with lots of unhappy folks on RV Net also).

My Marathons developed bubbles & tread seperation in the first year, with a mimimal load range (D) for a 10K (unloaded) trlr.

Best of luck -and trouble free miles- with your choice of shoes!

:W

One line could be "Idgit Camels"