cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning Fresh water tank and water heater

Taffy_C
Explorer
Explorer
Hi There. Its a while since I've sanitized my freshwater tank and water heater (been in storage for a while) and can't remember exactly the procedure. I remember that I used to dilute bleach with water and add to the water tank and then open the valve into the water heater. But I don't remember the right ratio of bleach to water or how long to leave it for.

Appreciate help.

Thanks,
2003 Explorer Limited 4X4 V8 Advancetrac 3.73 Axle
Jayco Kiwi Too 22U
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy
20 REPLIES 20

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks!
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I used to use bleach, now I just use captian Phab purge tank cleaner. works great, and no massive rincing to get the extra bleach flavor out.

Steve

I have looked for this product and cannot find it. I have found holding tank treatment but nothing that goes by this name. Can you provide a link. Thanks!

Dale

Google: captain Phab purge tank cleaner

or click

I see nothing about the product killing bacteria, only removing scum that might support it. I would use bleach after using that product.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
smokamoto wrote:
I added a tee & drain valve to my water heater, much easier to drain now!

I open my low point drains and burp the pressure relief valve on my water heater, almost every trip. That completely drains the lines and water heater.

We did that after a year that my wife got sick in the beginning of the camping season and we ended up parking the camper for 6 months. We had gotten water at a campground with a well and ended up with sulphur smelling pipes and water heater. Had to bleach and run baking soda through the lines to clear up the smell.

Never again. Drain almost every trip.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
StirCrazy wrote:
I used to use bleach, now I just use captian Phab purge tank cleaner. works great, and no massive rincing to get the extra bleach flavor out.

Steve

I have looked for this product and cannot find it. I have found holding tank treatment but nothing that goes by this name. Can you provide a link. Thanks!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taffy.C wrote:
Thanks for those answers. One more question - Is it best to drain the water heater after the sanitization, or is it ok just to leave the faucet open and pump fresh water through until the bleach smell goes away?

Pumping fresh water into the tank will only keep diluting the sanitation bleach water and really purge it. IMO it's best to drain the tank completely and refill with fresh water.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

smokamoto
Explorer
Explorer
I added a tee & drain valve to my water heater, much easier to drain now!

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I pretty much do as most here leave it sit for a day. I then used the pump to empty the FW tank allowing it to run into the gray and black tanks. I then add baking soda to the fresh tank and fill again. Pump this mixture thru until bleach smell lessens and can leave it in the system for use after that. Kinda have a problem wasting more water than needed. I may leave the water in the gray and black tanks for a couple days then empty them.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Most sources note a minimum of 6 hrs for 1/4 cup to 15 gal. You can speed it up by going to 1/2 cup for 3 hrs. Do NOT do more. Gotta give the bleach time to kill whatever it is gonna kill.

You can just run the faucets to flush the water heater, but it takes forever, since the fresh is slowly diluting gallons of bleach water in the heater. Much faster to pull the plug, and drain all the bleach water, then refill. Then all you have to worry about is the much lesser amount actually in the lines.

Yes, the concentration is low enough, it will not hurt grass or any other surface you dump it on.

Almost all city water is treated so that most of the chlorine is used up by the time it gets to your tap. There may be a little, but not enough to do any sanitizing on its own.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
wopachop wrote:
If it's been awhile then definitely drain the water heater. Replace the anode rod if your model uses one.

And flush! Maybe even descale it.
https://youtu.be/TL7AtXJYNcc
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If it's been awhile then definitely drain the water heater. Replace the anode rod if your model uses one.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
Similar to above posts except I only wait a couple of hours, then flush the system.

Same here, 1/4 cup bleach per 10 gal and a couple hours. No need to wait 24 hours.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taffy.C wrote:
Thanks for those answers. One more question - Is it best to drain the water heater after the sanitization, or is it ok just to leave the faucet open and pump fresh water through until the bleach smell goes away?

Either way works, it is just quicker to drain the tank.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taffy.C wrote:

There's chlorine in city water. Just flush it until you are comfortable.