cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Ramp Questions

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Long time TT camper here, looking to buy my 1st TH (if they ever go back to making them- my local lots are Sparsely populated). I have a couple of questions about what to look for in a TH Ramp. Assume that we'll get one that functions as a patio, if that makes any difference.

1) Hinges: do they all work the same, are there different grades, materials to watch out for? obviously, weight rating matters as does keeping them oiled/greased, but is there any particular thing you need to watch out for re maintenance?

2) Insulation: how well does the ramp/door seal actually seal, and what to look for there. is the door insulating ability any better/worse than a trailer's wall insulation?

3) Construction material: are all ramps made of the same thing, just different thicknesses/strengths? i assume its the stronger/thicker/heavier ones that advertise usage as patios.

4) Security: how do these things typically lock into place? cheap trailer locks? padlocks? lock from inside?

TIA for any thoughts!
8 REPLIES 8

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
normally a 3k lb rated door is only rated at 1500 lbs as a patio. as i looked around a lot of doors were 2k to 2500 lbs. the wolfpack toyhaulers i owned were 3k lbs but flexed a lot. dep keep the maintenance up on the lower hinge. never had water leaks around our doors but if they were to tweak any i could see that. i would make sure and prop some wood under the edges of the door to level it out closer when loading and unloading so you don't tweek it. there are just a few companies that offer ramp door rated for 3,5,7k lbs. atc prob has the higher rated door. dune sport offer a 3k or 5k lb door.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
MikeDupont wrote:
Thanks guys! You have proven once again that when you dont know about a topic, you dont know what to even ask about. I hadnt considered spring assisted helpers or cleaning/dumping ramp dirt into the hauler. Both obvious issues in retrospect.

Also, it seems to me that a ramp rated to work with X pounds would serve just as well up to that weight as a patio. Maybe you have to make your own supports to hold it in the correct position but that isnt much effort. Or am i missing something...again.
Yes. Ramps have two ratings. One for use as a ramp. One for use as a patio. The patio rating is always lower
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! You have proven once again that when you dont know about a topic, you dont know what to even ask about. I hadnt considered spring assisted helpers or cleaning/dumping ramp dirt into the hauler. Both obvious issues in retrospect.

Also, it seems to me that a ramp rated to work with X pounds would serve just as well up to that weight as a patio. Maybe you have to make your own supports to hold it in the correct position but that isnt much effort. Or am i missing something...again.

dedmiston
I had the same style as Linc's in our old Weekend Warrior and that long hinge was tough to keep clean. Our current trailer has the helper springs along the bottom, which makes a gap when the ramp is down. I like this gap better because you can sweep the garage out through that gap. But the helper springs in the Warrior provided more "help".

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old Weekend Warrior.
Big single hinge along the bottom of the door.
Never lubed it, works great.
Big springs on the sides to assist.
Ramp is rated at 3000lbs.
My buggy weighs 2900lbs, but only 1 set of tires is on the ramp at any one time.
Seals great.
Insulation? Not sure. Probably something in there, but never had it apart.
Construction? Wood I'm sure.

Someone posted pix of the inside of a ramp on this site years ago.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
they don't seal well at all. Our Rage'n never leaked water from the rain but I remember getting some water in while towing in a downpour. We're in So Cal so not a lot of rain. We did spend about two weeks in Oregon one year in November along the coast and it rained a LOT! No leaks.

But if the wind blows just right it whistled and came in around the ramp. You could see daylight at the lower corners, shoved some paper towels in once and that helped. If we still had it now i'd get some water weenies to stick in the cracks.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My "work and play" has the type using the springs on the bottom of the door vs the cable and overhead spool type. I like this better because this door can be used as a platform/deck and the cable system is not in the way.

Y-Guy
I can't say I'm an expert and the one thing that is constant is change. But from those that I've seen they are all about the same more or less. You will find some with more weight support making it easier to open and close. Keeping them clean and lubed is about all the maintenance I ever did. Rolling ATVs in and out would get a lot of dirt, mud, sand so I made sure to wash them down.

I can't say our door was better or worse then our garage - it was always cold and that era didn't have heaters or an outlet in the garage either.

IMHO they are all about the same, look for weight ratings of the ramp itself as well as the garage. If buying new and it's not posted I'd get it, in writing, from the manufacturer. I wouldn't say it's going to be better made if it's also a deck though, the attachment points are the key in that aspect.

Most all use a padlock or the "puck" style padlocks for cargo trailers. I've also seen a few people setup interior locking mechanisms too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon