cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing 3 Class Bs

suzago
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching new-to-me Class Bs. 65 year old woman, traveling solo with a dog. Long weekends and summer trips up to 2-3 weeks at a time. Handy with tools but limited automotive experience, but I anticipate getting a Good Sam's (or other?) membership. Budget: around 25k.

Current available candidates, all in apparently good condition and in my budget, in my area are:

1) 2001 Kodiak VXL 2000 (22 ft) 40k miles

2) 1999 Chinook Premier, 20 ft, 78k miles, owner says no solar but I thought they all came solar-ready?

3) 2004 GulfStream BT Cruiser (double-slide, so not really a Class B) (25 ft) 80k miles (giant compared to the other two)

I plan on having anything checked out by a RV mechanic, and aside from asking about leaks, repairs, generator usage, what else do I really need to know? I anticipate I will have to fix and upgrade things. Appreciate any advice!

Thank you in advance!
19 REPLIES 19

hwdean
Explorer
Explorer
suzago wrote:
Thank you for your helpful advice and support. These three were listed as class Bs and I knew the GulfStream wasn't, but I thought the Kodiak was, until I looked closer. (And I still think the Chinook is a Class B - or maybe B+?) Anyway - appreciate the responses.

The Chinook is a Class C. The main difference between B and C is the B starts out in life as a real van, the C starts life as a cutaway chassis. Unlike a van, on a C, the part behind the cab is a separate box. I believe the box on the Chinook is fiberglass.

Note also, that the so-called B+ is really a C with a small overhang above the cab instead of a bed-size overhang. The B+ overhang is usually storage space -- no room for a bed.

Its all marketing. What would you rather have: a B+ or a C-

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still trying to find the RVIA definition of each class. One RV manufacturer I found swore a B was an unmodified van chassis and cab and then another, I think Thor, swore it was a van chassis only with optionally a modified cab but no bunk over. As I mentioned, I couldn't find the much quoted RVIA standard. I must be missing it.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Nestor wrote...Sigh, so here we go again with the pointless never-ending argument about what the RV Classes are and how salesmen, dealers and manufacturers are all "wrong" if they mis-identify their RVs as B's, C's, B+'s, C-'s, RUV's, Super-C's, etc because RVIA doesn't recognize those terms. Reminds me of the time I owned a Roadtrek 210 which was sold as a Class B and recognized by RVIA as a Class B. I pulled into a campground that didn't allow "van conversions" and the gal at the counter insisted my RV wasn't a Class B motorhome but was in fact a "van conversion". Didn't see anyone from RVIA show up and argue with her and her definition though, so I just left for another campground. RVIA Classes are nothing more than general guidelines which may or may not apply to any specific model of RV produced.

I'm still trying to figure out what class my 24' Dynamax is in my signature. It is all one piece body and about 7' wide. Wider than a van but not as wide as a class C. I was told that Dynamax marketed it as a Class A, but who knows?
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mumkin wrote:
suzago wrote:
Thank you for your helpful advice and support. These three were listed as class Bs and I knew the GulfStream wasn't, but I thought the Kodiak was, until I looked closer. (And I still think the Chinook is a Class B - or maybe B+?) Anyway - appreciate the responses.

The Kodiak is still top of my list. Looks perfect for me. I'll have it checked out and ask a lot of questions. Thanks!

By RVIA rules, they are all Class C because none of them were built inside a vehicle that came from the factory as a van. I don't believe that Chinook ever built any Class B's, but they did great small Class C rigs. I was sad when they went broke.

There is actually no such thing as a B+ - that is just salesman hype because they think it sounds better than calling what it is... A Class C minus the bed over the cab.

But it is still a C.

Sigh, so here we go again with the pointless never-ending argument about what the RV Classes are and how salesmen, dealers and manufacturers are all "wrong" if they mis-identify their RVs as B's, C's, B+'s, C-'s, RUV's, Super-C's, etc because RVIA doesn't recognize those terms. Reminds me of the time I owned a Roadtrek 210 which was sold as a Class B and recognized by RVIA as a Class B. I pulled into a campground that didn't allow "van conversions" and the gal at the counter insisted my RV wasn't a Class B motorhome but was in fact a "van conversion". Didn't see anyone from RVIA show up and argue with her and her definition though, so I just left for another campground. RVIA Classes are nothing more than general guidelines which may or may not apply to any specific model of RV produced.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Neverhappy wrote:
Hi, Hello Mumkin my 2000 Chinook made in 99 was factory delivered with Solar
I miss my GW

Hey Neverhappy... long time no see. Your response got buried in the quotes. Interesting that your Chinook came with solar. I don't think I had even heard of the concept on RVs when I got my GWV in 2004. lol

BTW, I believe that your GWV was (is?) a B, not a C. I don't know for sure, but I think that the few widebody units they did were the same as the Roadtrek 210. They arrived from the factory as a van, and then had parts of the body cut off and replaced with a wider fiberglass body. I tried to google up a photo of the widebody and only got the non widebody type. I wanted to check if it still has the factory van doors, which would confirm that it was actually a Class B.

GWV did make a true C just before Marty's health failed and he sold the company (and the buyer bankrupted it). It was built on the Chevy cutaway called a Titan. It was a nice little rig and I tried to convince them to change the floor plan for me, but they didn't want to do so yet while it was so new.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
mumkin wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi, Hello Mumkin my 2000 Chinook made in 99 was factory delivered with Solar
I miss my GW

May I respectfully suggest looking at small class c units. There is a lot more bang for the buck and a shower that is much more easily used. They come as small as 22 feet, with 26 feet being the ideal size as far as wheel base to length ratio goes.

The reality is that all three of the vehicles that she has listed are small Class C rigs. None are B's.

So perhaps she needs to go over to the Class C board to find people who are familiar with these rigs.

BTW Suzago, there was no solar on rigs back in '99 so you won't find anything solar ready of that age. My first rig with a solar option was the 2015. Not that a good solar company couldn't add it.
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
magicbus,

I agree on the huge price difference between B and C. Having a beer budget I can't justify a B vs C. Certainly if the OP wishes to full time a C may be a better choice.

We looked at small class C RVs (View and similar), but we needed something that we could use as a second vehicle, and can park in our apartment complex. This fit the bill. We would prefer the storage and space of the View but could not keep in the lot at our apartment, and the B that we got drives like a car.

Having this B was a blessing this summer with the social distancing. We could go places, get out of the apartment (campgrounds here were crowded) and park overnight easily. We now note it as our rolling restroom that we miss in the winter.

We could use it in the winter and have done so until the roads get bad. Our fifth wheel had delamination problems, so we like the metal body on our van.

The View would be our first choice is we were full time, but after an extended trip we think we could stay sane and still speak if we were to full time in our B.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Take off your list any that don’t meet your bathroom needs including fresh water and waste tank capacities. Water is the limiting factor with RVs. Have a pro inspect the unit but even then all those you mentioned are 20+ years old.

Absolutely agree! Especially with the bathroom. Bs have minimum facilities usually, but we found ours to be sufficient. Getting used of any age needs a professional inspection. Most, I think, trade in or sell because of size needs, but I have seen it used as an excuse for a plethora of problems.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
Easy way to tell... A class B is built within the confines of a van.
No matter if it has a bed over the cab or which style of bathroom.
It must be built within the confines of a van, other than the raised roof.
Happy New Year everyone...
john 'I am Canadian'

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
suzago wrote:

The Kodiak is still top of my list. Looks perfect for me. I'll have it checked out and ask a lot of questions. Thanks!

By RVIA rules, they are all Class C because none of them were built inside a vehicle that came from the factory as a van. I don't believe that Chinook ever built any Class B's, but they did great small Class C rigs. I was sad when they went broke.

There is actually no such thing as a B+ - that is just salesman hype because they think it sounds better than calling what it is... A Class C minus the bed over the cab.

But it is still a C.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
The Kodiak I would consider it a B but when made it was considered a small C. Kodiak Is on Van Chassis and has custom Fiberglass House. No over head Bed area and Wet Bath. This is why I consider it a B.
I will be purchasing a 2003 Kodiak in a month or so. VXL2000 26 foot. so it you decide on the Kodiak I may be able to help with information once I get mine.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
See if you can find an Xplorer 230 Class B. They were made until 2004 (I think). I have had a 1997 Xplorer 230XL since 2000 and love it. I usually travel alone and it is more than enough for me. It's 21' long. It is on a Dodge van chassis and is easily worked on. Mine has 190,000 miles and is in good shape. I did have to have some rust work done, but I do not drive it in the winter unless I am heading to FLA.

suzago
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
magicbus,

I agree on the huge price difference between B and C. Having a beer budget I can't justify a B vs C. Certainly if the OP wishes to full time a C may be a better choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.