cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carpet dyeing

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
Never liked the green carpet in our Class A. Bought dye and prep from Americolor and tackled it this weekend. New charcoal colored carpets look amazing and as-new. Was actually not that hard. Boiling hot water was the key with vigorous brushing. I was quoted in excess of $7K to replace. Spent less than $100 for dye products and sprayer. I am a new fan of this approach.
17 REPLIES 17

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree 100% and it looks like it came out nice! We did 100% carpet delete on our TC rebuild, it was past dying (dye-ing?) it was already dead LOL!

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Looks great! It's hard to fully "de-carpet" when you have flaps like that around the slide areas.

FWIW, it's not a 1-hr job to replace that carpet. Carpeting is installed before any cabinets or walls, so that carpet runs underneath everything. The cheap way to do it is cut it with a razor knife and butt the new stuff up against it, but almost impossible to do with that flap you show in the pic. The right way to do it is to remove all the furniture, which is why you got a quote of $7K.

Makes sense. I didnโ€™t think I was being scammed at that price, only that it wasnโ€™t a priority at that price. If this had not worked we would have evaluated a plan B. I am pleased with this result.

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
My experience with trying to dye anything is the bleeding long after the job is done. First spill or when it gets wet will be a test.

Had some concerns as well. So far they have not manifested. Rubbed my hands in the carpet wet and zero bleed. This is not the end all solution, but it has been successful for what I intended. I like the color, it looks great in coach, and it was less work than ripping it out

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks great! It's hard to fully "de-carpet" when you have flaps like that around the slide areas.

FWIW, it's not a 1-hr job to replace that carpet. Carpeting is installed before any cabinets or walls, so that carpet runs underneath everything. The cheap way to do it is cut it with a razor knife and butt the new stuff up against it, but almost impossible to do with that flap you show in the pic. The right way to do it is to remove all the furniture, which is why you got a quote of $7K.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with trying to dye anything is the bleeding long after the job is done. First spill or when it gets wet will be a test.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work and a great idea. One advantage I can think of is you can always touch it up as needed in a year or few years as needed
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
hard to imagine how someone quoted $7,000 to replace a few hundred bucks of carpet. Did they think it would take them a couple of weeks of labor? Seems like a carpet installer could knock that out in an hour or so.
There are a lot of people in this country that work full-time for months just to get $7,000 in their pockets after taxes...
I may be in the wrong line of work if carpet installers can make $7,000 per hour. Where do I sign up?

That quote came from the factory service cemter

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
hard to imagine how someone quoted $7,000 to replace a few hundred bucks of carpet. Did they think it would take them a couple of weeks of labor? Seems like a carpet installer could knock that out in an hour or so.
There are a lot of people in this country that work full-time for months just to get $7,000 in their pockets after taxes...
I may be in the wrong line of work if carpet installers can make $7,000 per hour. Where do I sign up?

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
wow, looks great. is that "dark" grey? looks sort of medium in the pix. how did you do such a good job on the non-flat curved areas, watching the firm's how to video, looked tough enough on flat floor surfaces and curved vertical ones would seem difficult.
bumpy

The darkest area is the part already dyed. You spray it on with a sprayer.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wow, looks great. is that "dark" grey? looks sort of medium in the pix. how did you do such a good job on the non-flat curved areas, watching the firm's how to video, looked tough enough on flat floor surfaces and curved vertical ones would seem difficult.
bumpy

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer

Here are some pics

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.
Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Should work fine. Let us know in a year.

I agree the initial results may be misleading, but really, how do any carpets look after a year of use? The dye took to the fibers, that is obvious. BTW..... I am not shilling the company. I had a problem that I assume wasnโ€™t unique, and never found a economical solution on any RV forum. This approach solved my problem and did not create new ones.

Ovinewar
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
could you please be a little more specific about the products used? a
thanks
bumpy

Americolor carpet dye. Put in some one step dye prep, Mix with super hot water;add dye, and spray. Then brush the carpet to get the dye deep into the nap. Not sure how to add a pic.