Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Turning off the generator with the AC going?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Turning off the generator with the AC going?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

If you unplug shore power with the A/C running,
The arcing will be at the shore cord male plug and the campground RV outlet.!

If you shut a synchronous generator off while there is a substantial load (A/C compressor) ,
The arcing will be in the transfer switch contacts,
But the biggest danger is damage to the the generator head,
As the generator head winds down, voltage drops rapidly and amp load of the compressor increases,
When the voltage is too low to hold in the ats, it drops out aka open the contacts that this amp load is flowing thru, but the back EMF from the breaking open circuit causes a power spike in the generator head and the field control circuit
That is where the expensive damage accumulates until there is failure,
A winding down generator, is not the same as flipping a disconnect or pulling a plug

I've always thought along these same lines and keep wondering why my coach has a gen start next to the bed for the convenience of starting or stopping during the night, without having to get up?

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the naysayers conveniently ignore RV's with automatic generator start systems that users use to keep their RVs cool when they are not there. Or am I missing something?

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My EMS manages the loads and prevents any damage to system. There is a 3-5 minute delay on the A/C startup.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

My EMS manages the loads and prevents any damage to system. There is a 3-5 minute delay on the A/C startup.
Understood, but how is that any different than without the EMS? When I start my generator, there is about a 30 second delay before it actually kicks in and provides power to the coach breakers. At that point, if my A/C is already turned on, it starts; exactly like if it was turned off and I turn it on at the thermostat. There's no difference -electrically- between turning the A/C on at the thermostat or at the breaker. The only negative that I can think of, is shutting down the generator while the A/C is on, since it doesn't instantly shut off, but rather it slows and the voltage drops. Does your EMS turn the A/C off prior to shutting down the generator? I don't think so (could be wrong).

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ACs will wait for 45 seconds to a minute to restart if left on. Also the auto changeover will wait about 30seconds before it switches over.
Best practice is not to do it, but if it happens once or twice there will be no harm.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

All of the naysayers conveniently ignore RV's with automatic generator start systems that users use to keep their RVs cool when they are not there. Or am I missing something?

EXACTLY...............Do you have a degree in electrical engineering? Or just some good common ¢. GRIN

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

4x4van wrote:

EXACTLY...............Do you have a degree in electrical engineering? Or just some good common ¢. GRIN

Richard
Actually, both![emoticon]

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 02:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Richard

Here I go bursting bubbles again
The automatic generator start systems have timers, specifically to prevent startup shut down load problems, are not going to engage until the generator power is stabilized and are not going to shut down on board running generator while the tstat is calling for cooling, you could conceivably run out of fuel for the generator if it ran long enough, but that would not be a rather abnormal shut down

I do not know how much EMS support is installed with these auto start systems, for A/C use, but there must be some, in order to prevent generator shutdown or generator overload trip problems under what would be considered normal auto start conditions

* This post was edited 10/31/20 03:58pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Turning off the generator with the AC going?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.