Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on my dilema - newer trucks SRW vs DRW

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
I likely know the answer here...

Current truck has 350,000kms. Engine is pretty good but it has 200,000kms on the 2nd trans, oil pan leak, small electrical gremlins, rusting etc. Its getting tired. The wife has given me a green light for something newer.

I'm looking at 2012+ GM/Chevy and 2013+ Rams. My budget set but I can't drop $100k CAD on a new rig, so it'll likely be a 2012-2017 range. I'm leaning heavily to diesel on both rigs, my predominant travel is into the Rockies to the West.

My EC850 is kind of portly and weighing in around 4400lbs loaded up with kids supplies, water and gear. A couple trips a year, I tow a ~4000lbs ski boat. The camper is a shortbox model.

So here's my issue. Do I go for a SRW shortbox Ram? Reuse my heavy 19.5" tires? If I go GM, I'll need new 19.5" rim or I'll be just right to the tire max again. I will need winter tires as the truck too, it would be our highway travel vehicle. I do have a beater car for work commuting and errands. Up here, SRW trucks are SOOOO much more prevalent than DRW and a fair bit cheaper.

If I go DRW, I'll have to contend with the 1ft gap between the rear of the cab and front of the camper. I won't need to mess around with tires. I'd still need winter tires but the bonus would also be that I can use the camper with those same winter tires for ski trips.

How is the unladen ride of a DRW with aired down tires vs a SRW with aired down tires. Yes, I get its rough. I've had a 3500 for 10 years. Is the DRW much worse?

Opinions? the right solution is likely DRW. I've had campers for years, so I'm not new to driving with them or hauling heavy. Don't care about GVRW. I realize there is the megacab dually. I could go that way but up here, they command a mega-premium, so much more than a regular dually.
Roamers of the back woods

2006 Ram Megacab SRW. 19.5" Visions
2010 Eagle Cap 850 - current
2005 2500 9.4 Bigfoot - sold
2000 Hawk Four Wheel Camper - sold
24 REPLIES 24

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbw wrote:

Alberta is pretty relaxed about the door tag. As long as you don't look overloaded, drive like an idiot, you're fine. Host Mammoth on a 1/2 ton? yeah, you're getting pulled over.

BC gets a little more up in arms about tags but again, I've also just been waived through as I my rig looks alright and good condition.

Sorry the replies got a bit chippy. It's one of those topics. ๐Ÿ™‚ And to me there's no problem bringing it up fresh as there may be new people with fresh perspectives as apposed to the old threads that always break out into squabbles. If folks don't like seeing it rehashed, then they can choose not to click on it.

I agree with you that, up here anyway, as long as your rig looks good as in how it looks when loaded, you probably aren't going to get a second look. Perhaps due to different policing ideals then down south.
I'm going dually with the new truck. I just think overall, it's going to handle and be safer. And you haven't got to mess with add-ons so much. And those add-ons, up here, can be hard to find and extra expensive as apposed to below us. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you're sure your camper will work on a long bed (CG at or in front of the axle) with a spacer, then go for it. If not, then go short. Don't know about AB, but out here in BC, SB seem to be mostly what you see. I'm going with new F350 CC/DRW/LB/7.3 gas as mostly the used market around me is SB and Diesel and SRW.

Perhaps some savings could be had going with an AT tire so you don't need winters. But you know your local conditions best, so just a thought. I've got AT's on my SRW and in 4wd low, I can crawl up and down my steep, 1/4 km long drive with a foot and a half of snow no problem. I'll be going AT's on the new dually as well. And yes, opinions on duallies in the snow will be squabbled about for and against as well..... ๐Ÿ˜„
Good luck with the search! Hope you're not getting the smoke from the fires down south. It's back here again today. Ugh....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Almost mutually exclusive unless you can't sleep at night if you're exceeding the door tag...

He's in Alberta so the door tag might be law.

Alberta is pretty relaxed about the door tag. As long as you don't look overloaded, drive like an idiot, you're fine. Host Mammoth on a 1/2 ton? yeah, you're getting pulled over.

BC gets a little more up in arms about tags but again, I've also just been waived through as I my rig looks alright and good condition.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Almost mutually exclusive unless you can't sleep at night if you're exceeding the door tag...

Now if you can get Kayteg to believe that, you will have accomplished something notable!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
It is not a law if you can pay extra fee and have it changed?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

In other words, you are wrong again.

Let us agree to disagree?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbw wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
This should be a fun thread. They always are. But that happens when a person asks the same dumb question that is literally discussed, debated, and argued about daily or nearly daily here.

Thanks for the insight. Not quite the same question, Grunt Dog.

I was seeing if guys had a little more input with a Shortbox camper then stepping into a DRW and maybe having the spacer, or if I'm overthinking when I have 19.5" tires already. I do not have a crazy heavy camper but I'm on the edge. I figure educated folks here could help. They have - Thanks.

You're correct, my apologies. I mis-read your original post

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
The truth is that even the subject is disputed on daily basis, the members get mostly misinformation, like above replies prove (again).
It would not be big job to post points how to calculate TC weight on the truck in stickies, but seems honest information is against forum politics.

OP says โ€œI figure educated folks here could help. They have - Thanks.โ€

In other words, you are wrong again.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The truth is that even the subject is disputed on daily basis, the members get mostly misinformation, like above replies prove (again).
It would not be big job to post points how to calculate TC weight on the truck in stickies, but seems honest information is against forum politics.

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
This should be a fun thread. They always are. But that happens when a person asks the same dumb question that is literally discussed, debated, and argued about daily or nearly daily here.

Thanks for the insight. Not quite the same question, Grunt Dog.

I was seeing if guys had a little more input with a Shortbox camper then stepping into a DRW and maybe having the spacer, or if I'm overthinking when I have 19.5" tires already. I do not have a crazy heavy camper but I'm on the edge. I figure educated folks here could help. They have - Thanks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

Iโ€™m not sure why youโ€™d care what the trailer weight is for a TC, but feel free to explain why those numbers matter more than payload. .

Did not say they matter more, but with absence of rear axle payload, they are the only useable numbers from the chart.
Give you pretty good indication what performance you can expect from different engines.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
The chart is not showing cargo capacity for rear axle, so it is mostly worthless for this forum.
The only technical (not taxable) comparison you can draw from it is max trailer weight.
28,000 lb for 7.3l gasser
43,500 lb for 6.7l diesel.
Those are real life numbers.

Iโ€™m not sure why youโ€™d care what the trailer weight is for a TC, but feel free to explain why those numbers matter more than payload.

On the other hand, the payload number is important if you are trying to stay under GVWR at least. Of course, you still have to determine if the rear tires are over capacity and if the rear axle is over capacity.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:

I believe 4960# is max for SRW.

2020 Ford SD Specs

The chart is not showing cargo capacity for rear axle, so it is mostly worthless for this forum.
The only technical (not taxable) comparison you can draw from it is max trailer weight.
28,000 lb for 7.3l gasser
43,500 lb for 6.7l diesel.
Those are real life numbers.