cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLAN B on RV "carport"

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
After doing some measuring and sketching to scale, I decided that my plan of adding to my concrete parking area, plus a shed, adjacent to the house, is not going to work. 1) the size I want puts it outside the setback requirements for my lot, which includes sheds, driveways, porches, garages, carports, etc 2) the height of the RV shed is going to look really bad next to my house.

So.... on to plan B.

There is a good spot adjacent to a current metal storage shed on the opposite end of my lot. Easy to get in & out from the street, plenty of room, uphill from the sewer cleanout, so I can dump the tanks there.

I want to just do a gravel pad (crusher run limestone works well here, when it's packed right) but it will need to be built up about 10 inches on one long side to be level.

Any recommendations on a type of block or stone edging to keep the gravel from creeping out into the yard? Preferably cheap and easy.
😄

I do NOT want to use landscape timbers or crossties. Around here they are just termite homes.

I'll get the gravel in, get it level, use it for a year to make sure it's packed well, and then get my cover installed.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
4 REPLIES 4

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Cheap 8” concrete blocks (filled with gravel) with 4” solid cap block for part way and then 2 caps (could be just a 8”) and then just a cap.

4-6” of crusher run on clay is plenty.

Do you think the concrete blocks could just be stacked, no mortar?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cheap 8” concrete blocks (filled with gravel) with 4” solid cap block for part way and then 2 caps (could be just a 8”) and then just a cap.

4-6” of crusher run on clay is plenty... could go a little thicker where the C’s tires will sit..
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
10 inches seems like three rows of those interlocking retaining wall blocks. First row trenched into a ditch, the next two rows locked on top. This will give you a 12" high wall that you can dump 10" of gravel behind.
X2

If ordinances allow, I would seriously look into a steel building for your motor home, and also to replace your current steel storage shed. Build something to last, built to increase the value of your property, and built bigger than your rig in case you later desire a bigger rig. If you have the space on your property, include some extra interior space for another bay for other vehicles. I wish I had that for my seasonal cars.

A steel building will cost a lot less than most people realize. A lot of the expense is the concrete floor and electrical, but maybe you can add both later. Just have the building made with them in-mind.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
10 inches seems like three rows of those interlocking retaining wall blocks. First row trenched into a ditch, the next two rows locked on top. This will give you a 12" high wall that you can dump 10" of gravel behind.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup