cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do dogs have an internal gps?

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting read. Later I’ll share a story from herding that might be related.

Magnetic alignment enhances homing efficiency of hunting dogs
DOI: 10.7554/eLife.55080

Abstract
Despite anecdotal reports of the astonishing homing abilities in dogs, their homing strategies are not fully understood. We equipped 27 hunting dogs with GPS collars and action cams, let them freely roam in forested areas, and analyzed components of homing in over 600 trials. When returning to the owner (homewards), dogs either followed their outbound track (‘tracking’) or used a novel route (‘scouting’). The inbound track during scouting started mostly with a short (about 20 m) run along the north-south geomagnetic axis, irrespective of the actual direction homewards. Performing such a ‘compass run’ significantly increased homing efficiency. We propose that this run is instrumental for bringing the mental map into register with the magnetic compass and to establish the heading of the animal.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
15 REPLIES 15

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
And a macro version of this - I was always amazed by my blind dog Jimmy's ability to immediately memorize the floorplan of a house or hotel room that he had never been in before. Finally, a couple of weeks into an extended trip staying at a different place every night, in the middle of the night I heard a tiny whimper - Jimmy was "lost" in a corner and couldn't find his way out. I got up, petted him and told him he was OK and put him on the bed with me. Must be he had maxxed out his memory....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Along with GPS built in, there is a reasoning ability a problem solving that many dogs display. Some more than others, but not simply memory or conditioning.
I would definitely agree with reasoning ability from watching my Collies.

dturm
Along with GPS built in, there is a reasoning ability a problem solving that many dogs display. Some more than others, but not simply memory or conditioning.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my story.

Several years ago I competed at our national sheepdog finals in Sturgis SD with my Peg. We had never been on this field before. The field was huge. From where I stood and sent Peg to gather the sheep there was a 300 yard flat field (imagine a baseball field that was 2x the size of an MLB field); beyond the 300 yards there was a ridge about 250' tall with the highest point about 500 yards away. Beyond the top of the ridge the terrain dropped down and the field extended for 100s for yards. The sheep that Peg needed to gather were set out about 100 yards below the top of the ridge.

An outrun (the path taken to gather sheep) is shaped like the outline of a pear with me stating at the stem and the sheep at the bottom of the pear. The goal is for the dog to get behind the sheep without disturbing them as there are waiting and then to start their movement straight towards me.

I sent Peg to the right. On the path she took she lost sight of the sheep and she lost sight of me. I saw her go over the ridge 200-300 yards to the right side of the sheep. On the other side of the ridge she could not see the sheep. Somehow Peg came over the top of the ridge directly behind the sheep and started moving them straight towards me.

How can a dog, after loosing sight of me and the sheep know where to run to in order to be lined up directly behind the sheep from me? I have seen this repeated by many, but not all dogs. Some seem to have a map in their head even on fields where they have never run; knowing where they are in relationship to the sheep and handler (that are out of sight) and can get to the right spot. Other dogs run this path and then pop-up over the ridge in the wrong spot (too far to the right or left) and then have to run back to the correct spot; or turn into the field too soon and end up below the sheep or directly to one side or the other of the sheep.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My 3rd cocker spaniel, I am sure he recognized the blue rest area signs. Also, on our way to our home site.. at a certain turn off about 10 miles from the entrance to the resort, he would stand up the rest of the way. He knew.

My current spaniel, after pulling into a campground the first time, by the 2nd time he knows we are "home." Wherever, what city, what state! He is a full-timer.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to agree with that. I had one that knew almost every time I approached a rest area even if he had never been there before. I always thought he recognized the blue signs. There was also one particular place where he always barked at the cows and he would be at attention a mile or so before we would pass. And he always knew when we were near home, I always thought it was because we lived at a large airport and he heard the planes---but he never got excited if I was near a different airport. ???????

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous dog, Lexie, was a Miniature Schnauzer. The first time we went to see our son's new place about 100 miles from our home she was with us laying in the back seat of the car. Every time thereafter that we went to see him she would start to get excited as soon as we got within 3-4 miles of his house.She knew she would see him soon. Yes they have a gps in their brain.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
I swear that my dog has a hidden paw watch. Within minutes of 6:00 PM which is feeding time, she comes and sits in front of me to remind me.
RVing since 1995.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think all animals have a sense of direction. Some pay attention more than others.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Mine knows places he's been before. He always knows which way to the camper when out walking and he's done, he heads back home.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
The things people study...

And they probably got a major government grant to study it.. :E

dturm
I wouldn't be surprised. Many animals have some sort of GPS, think migrating birds, butterflies.

I saw a paper several years ago that theorized that dogs orient when defecating, I don't remember the compass heading :B. I didn't believe it, it seems that local environment and wind direction would have a greater influence. The things people study...
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apparently they do, there have been many of them that have found their way home from miles and miles away.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES...most definitely

After exploring the local area Maggie our BC/Lab within 2 miles of whatever CG we were at would sit up very attentive and become more anxious closer we got to 'home'
FTng we changed locations weekly/bi-monthly and it was same reaction regardless of where we were.

Our current BC/Beagle does same thing when we get to turn off that leads to our neighborhood where S&B is located and he is partially blind

YES...they have built in GPS
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31