Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Bye Class A forum!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Good Bye Class A forum!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s gas and it’s been out for over a year as best I can tell. It appears to be getting me 11 to 12 mpg with plenty of power, so I like it for now.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specs say 7.3L V-8 350 HP

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Join the club! After 20+ years with a 34' TT, we sold it and are moving to a truck camper for those same reasons. We decided a TC would be best for us because we need 4x4 for beach access. Best of luck with your new rig and happy travels!

I always say, an RV can't be too big when it's parked or too small when it's going down the road...

I gave serious consideration to a truck camper. Having 4x4 would be nice since I live in snow country. The only think that stopped me is I really don’t want a full size truck as my daily driver. I like my Ford Ranger. Also truck campers are too limited in storage and holding tank sizes. But they are very nice.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

OH Boy! Ford is making another new V8 engine for us to thrash about.
7.6 liter or 463.78 cu in. Wonder if it's diesel of gas?
Could it be a replacement for the 6.7 diesel?

Richard

I thought Ford dropped the 7.6 (462) in the late 1960's. The OP is sure it's a 7.6 engine. Maybe they have something new?

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

^^^ I think Mercedes would be surprised someone put a Ford engine in their Sprinter chassis. [emoticon] Must be a prototype. [emoticon] Unless I'm missing something it sure looks like a Ford chassis.

Looking at the chassis specs I suspect the OP may mean the new Ford 7.3 engine??? The specs say "Ford gas engine" and "E450" so it's either that or the 6.2L.

I certainly hope msmith comes back to clear up the confusion.

Seriously though, just because the Class A is gone doesn't mean anyone has to leave. Everyone is welcome here.

Nice looking rig too!

You’re losing me? What confusion? I bought a Nexus Viper 27V which is on the Ford E-450 Cutaway chassis. It has the 7.3 liter V-8 engine which was new last year.

I read your original post wrong, I read it as you were saying it was on the Sprinter chassis - my bad.

The 7.6L Ford part was obviously a typo.

As you have noted, its the Ford E450 with the 7.3L. I'm real interested in your opinion on the engine. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

That's what I thought but, the OP is sure it's a 7.6 engine.
That has me confused.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

That's what I thought but, the OP is sure it's a 7.6 engine.
That has me confused.

Yup - but in the very next post he said it's a 7.3. [emoticon]

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

^^^ I think Mercedes would be surprised someone put a Ford engine in their Sprinter chassis. [emoticon] Must be a prototype. [emoticon] Unless I'm missing something it sure looks like a Ford chassis.

Looking at the chassis specs I suspect the OP may mean the new Ford 7.3 engine??? The specs say "Ford gas engine" and "E450" so it's either that or the 6.2L.

I certainly hope msmith comes back to clear up the confusion.

Seriously though, just because the Class A is gone doesn't mean anyone has to leave. Everyone is welcome here.

Nice looking rig too!

You’re losing me? What confusion? I bought a Nexus Viper 27V which is on the Ford E-450 Cutaway chassis. It has the 7.3 liter V-8 engine which was new last year.

I read your original post wrong, I read it as you were saying it was on the Sprinter chassis - my bad.

As you have noted, its the Ford E450 with the 7.3L. I'm real interested in your opinion on the engine. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Yeah, that one is on me. I was typing 7.6 but reading 7.3. It’s hell to get old!

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ Amen! I can relate!

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

I joined RV.Net almost 20 years ago now when I bought my first motorhome, a gas Rexhall 32 foot Class A. It was a good motorhome, but it only lasted me a couple of years before I upgraded to a Tropical 35 foot DP. That was in 2004. Had that motorhome for 16 years and used it a lot. Great motorhome that only gave me minor problems. But after 19 years of Class A’s, we decided that the way we use a motorhome, we’d be better off with something smaller. We rarely stay in any one spot more than a few days and we often cover a lot of miles when we do go out. The big Class A meant we always had to bring the toad because you just can’t drive downtown real easy in a Class A. So we traded in the Class A on a Nexus Viper Class B+.

Just picked up the new motorhome last week in Phoenix and drove it home to Reno. It’s going to take some getting used to the smaller size, it was a little cramped, but the ease of driving and getting into places is going to make it well worth it. For example we drove home up the Extraterrestrial Highway. As we were approaching Rachel NV I see the famous black mail box on the side of the road. But I had already passed it by the time I saw it. In the DP with a toad there would be no going back. But since there was no traffic for miles, I stopped in the middle of the highway and made about a 8 point turn in the middle of the highway and went back to the black mailbox for some touristy photos. That was the main reason for changing. I want to make some cross country trips and not have to bring the toad and yet still be able to get anyplace I want to go. I think it’s going to work out just fine. And one of the reasons for going for this particular motorhome over something on the Sprinter Chassis, is I have a 7.6 liter ford V-8. So if I do want to bring the toad, the Viper will tow it without problem.

So I’ll be giving up the Class A forum and be hanging out down on the Class B+ forum!

I think you'er going to miss the A, more than you know, but that's just my opinion.
As for turning any rig around, I've always found that it's the toad of concern and especially when heading down an unknown street, so that won't change with a smaller rig. Naturally you can always unhitch with any of them and we've done that a few times as well.
Anyway good luck with your new rig and for hopefully enjoying, it's all around use.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Good Bye Class A forum!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.