Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Norcold 1210 freezer cold refrigerator warm
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Norcold 1210 freezer cold refrigerator warm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

OK, back home now and its raining. I had a small 12 volt fan in the garage with an on/off switch and jerry rigged it into the bottom at the back blowing up before we left. It got the freezer below zero and the refrig was 38. Guess that tells me something. When checking it sometimes the cooling coils were cool and other times to hot to touch. There was nothing in the frig at all. What does that tell me?

Well, when the unit is on, it's going to be hot, until it reaches set point and then is going to be off for awhile and will cool down some, depending on ambient, door openings and such, until it calls for cooling again.
I always added extra fans to mine, before the conversion, as well and am glad that those days are over with.
Can't see using an RV fridge these days with adequate batteries and an inverter, no matter how much one might boon dock.
I guess, if one has a roof full of solar power and hates running a genset, that's another story.
Thing is, what would these same people do, having a new rig with a residential? Remove it for an RV replacement type? Don't think I've ever heard of that one, if it exists.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Winnebago Luxor in 1997 and never had a single problem with the frig in 20 years. This one is 3 years old and seems fans or thermostat have failed. I'll fix it. Unless you are full timing I doubt most use as much as we do and I like the option of running on propane when there is no other power and I can turn the generator off at night if its cool....but thats just me.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I bought a Winnebago Luxor in 1997 and never had a single problem with the frig in 20 years. This one is 3 years old and seems fans or thermostat have failed. I'll fix it. Unless you are full timing I doubt most use as much as we do and I like the option of running on propane when there is no other power and I can turn the generator off at night if its cool....but thats just me.

Just so you know and even though your inverter won't run the power hog, you have now on electric, all night long, it will a new residential model.
Either from the store or for converting the one you have now.
The way I figure it, if I'm in the boonies for awhile, I'm gonna need the genset a little each day anyway and for charging the batteries at the same time.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

OK, back home now and its raining. I had a small 12 volt fan in the garage with an on/off switch and jerry rigged it into the bottom at the back blowing up before we left. It got the freezer below zero and the refrig was 38. Guess that tells me something. When checking it sometimes the cooling coils were cool and other times to hot to touch. There was nothing in the frig at all. What does that tell me?

That your Cooling unit is good and you need the Upper fans to run. Doug

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug. I'll stick to my current refrigerator and fix it so it works properly. May need some advice on how to get to these fans a little later as its to hot right now to fool with it. Learned the hard way about this heat as I passed out Sat because of heat exhaustion and ended up riding an ambulance to the hospital....Sure got my attention but I am OK now.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Climbed up on top and removed the cover yesterday. I can see the motors and the thermostat. I think I can get the thermostat from up there but not the motors. I think I will try to replace that as I just don't think both motors would fail at the same time. The temp was below freezing in the freezer and 38 in the frig without my added fan running.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Climbed up on top and removed the cover yesterday. I can see the motors and the thermostat. I think I can get the thermostat from up there but not the motors. I think I will try to replace that as I just don't think both motors would fail at the same time. The temp was below freezing in the freezer and 38 in the frig without my added fan running.

OK, you think you can remove the 2 SMALL screws that hold the tstat? Good luck. You have to remove the top screened mount to really get access. Then you have to work sideways to get those 2 screws out. THEN YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THOSE 2 SCREWS. Trust me, just pull the refer. I tried your method years ago and it cannot be done. I agree, both fans would not fail at the same time. BUT, when you have to pull the refer to get to the tstat, THAT is the time to replace those 2 fans with better fans that will last a lot longer than OEM fans. BTW, once you drop one of those small screws either removing or installing, once you get done cussing, you will realize you should have pulled the refer. Since you will have to pull the mount, that means resealing the mount once reinstalled. DON'T THINK ABOUT CUTTING THE SCREEN MATERIAL. That just causes more headaches, Doug

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug I trust you completely. I have way to much going on right now to address this and when I tried to order the fans they came up out of stock for now. So between my Jerry rigged fan and the dorm refrigerator we are good for now but as soon as I get time and the fans I'll be in touch for some coaching on how to remove the frig. I am above average in getting things figured out and fixed especially with advice from experts like you......till later

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry it took so long to get back to this but I got caught up in life. Never did get fans so I got on the roof, removed the cover and assessed the problem and decided I would replace the thermostat from the top. My screen is screwed on so I removed that and by passed the thermostat to make sure everything worked and let it run a few days till it was starting to frost up and the frig temp was below freezing. I have a neat little 90 degree magnatized ratcheting screwdriver which got the screws out no problem. I had removed the 5 amp fuse and tied off the wires at the thermostat. I secured the screws to the new thermostat with some gasket cement so they wouldn't fall, wrapped a string around the thermostat so I wouldn't lose it, plugged in the bottom wire, and screwed it back in place. Put the top wire back on, screwed the screen and cover on and was done---30 maybe 45 min. Its tight up there but I will be 80 my next birthday yet have above average skills so it was ok. And as always Doug, thanks for your help even if I didn't listen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Norcold 1210 freezer cold refrigerator warm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.