cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

" observe " TT frig from afar

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have to leave the TT in Florida for about 2-3 weeks.

Plan to disconnect water. Turn up A/C a bit.

Fridg bothers me. We are on monthly lot with full H/ups but what if frig quits or somehow power is lost? Bad smell. We are trying to get it as empty as possible, but still a lot of condiments etc will be left.
It is running on A/C right now.

We have a pretty good wifi signal here. Any ideas for a camera or thermometer that would send signal to my phone or computer?

Problem is we have to leave soon so no time to order. Would have to pick up locally. We are close to Tampa and they've got probably all the box stores. Got to go there tomorrow for Doctor appointment so could pick up something. And, of course I want something inexpensive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also would you disconnect the Progressive PMS to prevent theft ( and power loss ) or leave it on? This is a quite, place with electronic gate so pretty sure all is safe.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just leave the propane on and the fridge in "auto" mode. If the power goes out the fridge will run on gas until the power comes back on.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:

Best idea is probably as you suggested, toss it and start over, although I may leave the frig on so it will ( hopefully ) already be cold when we return. Won't hurt it to run and it doesn't use much juice.

The fridge may well be using more juice than you realize. If it's an RV absorption fridge, it likely uses around 3 - 5 kWh per day, depending of course on the ambient temperature, the size of the fridge, etc. If it's a residential compressor fridge, it's closer to 1 or 1.5 kWh per day.

It seems awfully wasteful to me to run the fridge empty for the whole time you're gone just to have it be cold when you get back. It's more sensible in my estimation to turn it on when you get back and let it cool while you unpack, do laundry, sort through junk mail, and go grocery shopping.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
ok , thanks for the replies. Sounds like good advice.

Someone here could keep a check on it but didn"t want them to worry with it every day. They could empty if things went south.

Best idea is probably as you suggested, toss it and start over, although I may leave the frig on so it will ( hopefully ) already be cold when we return. Won't hurt it to run and it doesn't use much juice.

Thanks for helping me not overthink this situation. One problem solved.

This storm lurking in the tropics has me concerned, although it looks not so bad right now. Of course estimated to end up close to S%B in NC. Following us up the coast...maybe. ๐Ÿ™‚

Community Alumni
Not applicable
DownTheAvenue wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
Toss the condiments, turn off the refrigerator and leave the door open. Cut back on the AC. The money you save on electricity will more than pay for the condiments.

X2

X3

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the fridge off and let it air/dry off. Condiments are a buck each at the dollar store. Toss them and buy new when you return.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Toss the condiments, turn off the refrigerator and leave the door open. Cut back on the AC. The money you save on electricity will more than pay for the condiments.

X2

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your fridge recover when you lose power now? Unless itโ€™s a multi day power fail then you should be ok. If losing a few condiments is a concern ask a neighbor if they would like them(not likely in this day) or just throw them out. Not worth a new device.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
First question. Your 1000 miles from the fridge, and your wiz-bang gadget tells you it is getting warm. What do you do? Why do you need to know about a problem you can't solve?
Put everything in fridge in a trash bag and seal it tight. Same for freezer. Put the bags in respective compartments. In the freezer, put a few ice cubes in a bowl with lid. When you get back look at the bowl. Still got cubes in it? If not do not open the trash bags, just take to dumpster.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
id think a camera and/or thermometer that hooks up to wifi would be more expensive than new condiments. Read the labels, alot of condiments we keep in the fridge don't actually need to be refrigerated. i think ketchup is the #1 thing people put in the fridge but don't need to. it just feels wrong not too lol.

Its probably cheaper to purge and start fresh then buy new gadgets and hope they work.