Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Camping with my dog
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping with my dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a campground host at Capitol Reef, dogs were not allowed left alone either outside or inside the RV. Of course, they were not allowed on trails either. Anyone visiting with a dog might as well have just driven through the National Park and left.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Despite the rules, I don't think I've been to a camp ground yet where I have not seen unattended dogs left chained or crated at campsites. Including myself. As a solo traveler, my dog is unattended when I leave to use the public shower, that's how it is and I'm not leaving my dog home at a kennel so I can take a shower without annoying some busy-body.

MYOB folks, get over yourselves and enjoy your camping time instead of worrying about ruining someone elses Dog annoys you? Your idling diesel annoys me no way you need 30+ minutes to warm up or cool down, get that engine serviced if it takes that long. Maybe it's screaming kids, alcohol fueled all-night "good times" around the fire at maximum volume, or or or...

This! If there's anything worse than someone breaking a rule (especially if in this case the pet(s) are not causing a noise problem) it's a Karen.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years, I traveled with three different dogs at different times who were all crate trained. They could be left behind in the crate outside or uncrated inside the RV without any issues. They would never make a noise unless someone invaded their territory. That means coming inside the RV with no one there or within 6 to 8 feet of their crate if crated. Then there was serious barking and growling which is appropriate. I never had a problem in any campground. To the people complaining about leaving a dog alone in the RV: if the dog is used to be alone at the sticks and brick house, there is no difference leaving the dog alone in the RV.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

When I was a campground host at Capitol Reef, dogs were not allowed left alone either outside or inside the RV. Of course, they were not allowed on trails either. Anyone visiting with a dog might as well have just driven through the National Park and left.

Strict!

As I recall the rangers at the visitors center asked me to bring my giant malamute in to the building for some treats. Of course this was mid December and I had been their only visitor that day. I also asked and was allowed to run the generator all night long due to 0 degree F temps.

Same warm welcome at Natural Bridges, I even was allowed to park overnight in the no overnight parking lot because they hadn't plowed any sites or the road leading there.

Guess it depends on time of year and how bad of a week/month/year the person you interact with is having.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

To the people complaining about leaving a dog alone in the RV: if the dog is used to be alone at the sticks and brick house, there is no difference leaving the dog alone in the RV.

I'm not so sure. Most sticks and bricks houses are set back from the street a pretty good distance, and a dog inside could very well not even notice someone walking on the street or sidewalk. But in most RV parks, the RVs are much closer to the public areas where people are walking, which makes dogs bark.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

The National Park Service, and some State Parks have this very narrow set of rules regarding dogs. I think it is unreasonable. I avoid those parks because the only legal place to take a dog is a walk around the parking lot and in your rig when you are there.

To be honest, traveling in the off season when it is quiet, it is possible to skirt a few of their rules. But don't worry you will never see me and my dog.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rice wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

To the people complaining about leaving a dog alone in the RV: if the dog is used to be alone at the sticks and brick house, there is no difference leaving the dog alone in the RV.

I'm not so sure. Most sticks and bricks houses are set back from the street a pretty good distance, and a dog inside could very well not even notice someone walking on the street or sidewalk. But in most RV parks, the RVs are much closer to the public areas where people are walking, which makes dogs bark.

You took my statement out of context. Shame on you!

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

You took my statement out of context. Shame on you!

What?? We're talking about dogs getting agitated and barking when left alone in RVs. How is pointing out that a dog who doesn't have problems in a regular house might have problems in an RV, where distractions are usually closer and, uh, more distracting, out of context?

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rice wrote:

What?? We're talking about dogs getting agitated and barking when left alone in RVs. How is pointing out that a dog who doesn't have problems in a regular house might have problems in an RV, where distractions are usually closer and, uh, more distracting, out of context?

Most dogs learn that camping is a different set of rules, and they are smart enough to understand that. My previous "camping buddies" knew they had to be on a leash to leave the camper (even though they NEVER were on leash around our house or at work) - but they DID push that rule a bit. Picture 2 dogs standing with their hind feet still on the bottom step as they watched whatever we were doing outside....LOL!

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing the number of people who think the rules do not apply to them.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping with my dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.