Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A coworker had one for a couple of years. Upsized from a Tacoma because he wanted a full size truck even though it was just a daily driver. He never towed anything. He got it new, for well under sticker, after it sat on the dealer lot for nearly a year unsold.

He liked the truck but it stranded him a couple of times when it wouldn’t start in the winter cold. Dealer couldn’t figure out the problem and they struggled with a lack of Diesel engine experience.

Took a huge hit at trade in but now drives another Tacoma.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neighbor's son is towing a 34' 5r with his Titan XD, claims it rides good and getting great gas mileage. I said I was impressed.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They will likely be a good value for those that want a robust half ton diesel.
And they have a good transmission.
Their downfall, imo is gvw and fuel mileage.
They get about the same mileage as a HD diesel pickup and don’t have the heavy running gear of a HD.
Now with each of the big 3 having a capable baby diesel and a big diesel, the luster of a med size diesel is not there, imo.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest cause of slow sales for the Titan/Cummins was the price.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The biggest cause of slow sales for the Titan/Cummins was the price.

Somewhat agree but not completely. In Dec 2016 I picked up a fully loaded Titan XD SL 4x4. Sticker $58k ([emoticon]), paid right about $41k out the door. Sold 2 years later for $37k. When I sold it I was looking at an F250 Lariat 4x4 and real world pricing was $56k before tax and license at the time, so more like $62k out the door in CA. The Titan XD sticker prices are stupid for what it is but real world pricing wasn't that bad.

That being said, I wouldn't doubt that some simply looked at MSRP and moved on.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several players regarding the HD demise.
The Nissen XD weight specs put it in the same range as Fords F150 HDPP. I doubt Ford sells a lot of the HDPP F150s....but makes up profits with all the other F150 size trucks. Hell Ford markets the F150 with over a dozen GVWRs/5 different RAWRs. Not so with the Nissen HD.
And it is a Japans truck which is a put off for some buyers.

Its simply another good stout HD 1/2 ton truck. I don't think Japans truck mfgs want into the very competitive USA LDT market.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I don't think Japans truck mfgs want into the very competitive USA LDT market.

I think they want into the market, but they do not understand the buyers in our market. The US truck market is not like other truck markets where the manufacturers dictate to the consumers what they need based on what they are given. We buy what we want regardless if the need is there or not.

I liken this to the first Toyota Tundra which was very small compared to other half tons and under-powered. Toyota essentially tried to dictate to truck buyers what they needed in their marketing telling people that they don't need anything bigger or with more power. As many people know, Americans do not like being told what they need or what they should buy. Sales were dismal until Toyota finally came out with a larger and more powerful Tundra filled with things that the people wanted instead of what Toyota thought people needed.

The same thing happened to all those other foreign truck makes that tried to tell us that we don't need anything more than compact trucks and those who did not adjust to what American buyers wanted went the way of the Dodo. I think Nissan tried to do the same with the XD. They figured no one buying it needs 8-lug full floating axles or more that 2,500 lb of payload. But many people here want those things whether they need them or not.

* This post was edited 07/10/20 01:30pm by ShinerBock *

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Titan was never a big seller. A buddy has an older one and likes it.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

I liken this to the first Toyota Tundra which was very small compared to other half tons and under-powered. Toyota essentially tried to dictate to truck buyers what they needed in their marketing telling people that they don't need anything bigger or with more power. As many people know, Americans do not like being told what they need or what they should buy. Sales were dismal until Toyota finally came out with a larger and more powerful Tundra filled with things that the people wanted instead of what Toyota thought people needed.

Yes, Toyota nailed it when they came out with the new 5.7L, 381 HP Tundra in IIRC 2008. But they still fail to understand the US truck market, since they haven't really changed that truck much since then. The US manufacturers strive to continually improve their trucks, so today they leave the Tundra in the dust. Same with the Titan, it was a pretty nice truck when it was introduced, but did not evolve with the competition.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Several players regarding the HD demise.
The Nissen XD weight specs put it in the same range as Fords F150 HDPP. I doubt Ford sells a lot of the HDPP F150s....but makes up profits with all the other F150 size trucks. Hell Ford markets the F150 with over a dozen GVWRs/5 different RAWRs. Not so with the Nissen HD.
And it is a Japans truck which is a put off for some buyers.

Its simply another good stout HD 1/2 ton truck. I don't think Japans truck mfgs want into the very competitive USA LDT market.

Ford would sell a lot more HDPP trucks if the dealers would order them. Problem is that in the DFW area that I live in, one man does most of the ordering for ALL the Ford dealerships.

He orders based on past sales and predicted trends, but the problem is that if you don't have HDPP 1/2T's on the lot, then you can't sell them on a regular basis, thus they will never become a part of your normal product mix. That's why they are harder to find than unicorns.

Most 1/2 tons are ordered as people movers with an occasional trip to Home Depot or Lowes. I worked at multiple Ford dealerships years ago and the same guy ordered for all of them.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.