cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Convertor?

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi all—new to us 2000 Sunline TT. Installed new battery two weeks ago. Unit is plugged in and the only thing on is the refer on AC. The cooling fan in the converter runs constantly and has done so for the last week or so. Have had many RVs and never had one where the converter fan ran constantly. What is going on?
chartrue2@aol.com
6 REPLIES 6

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine runs all the time. Been like that since day 1 over 4 years ago. Some times it runs faster or slower depending on load.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be a WFCO stuck in boost mode. BTDT. Check your battery voltage.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A 20-yo converter could be shot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
The fan is load driven, when the load is minimal, say floating the fully charged battery, the fan stays off, but when it is actively charging, the fan will kick in to keep it cool. First thing I would do is disconnect the battery to remove the load. If the fan remains on, then you probably have a faulty unit. If it goes off, load test the battery, might have a bad cell.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It sounds like a new converter in your near future. It should have charged the battery completely, long ago. If fan runs constantly, unit is over heating. I would test battery with meter, converter running, and again without shore power, battery rested for several hours. Battery at rest s/b about 12.6-12.8 If battery tests 13.6, or more converter running (shore power still connected), battery may already be low on water.

Jerry

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charger model number could be helpful. A voltmeter is your friend.

Load test the battery as even new ones fail. Is it wired correctly?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob