Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How do you know how much you can TRULY pull?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How do you know how much you can TRULY pull?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow ratings are best case scenarios, i.e. very little frontal area, near perfect balance and tongue weight. I use 50% of tow ratings, but I like having a little excess capacity. Even that 50% may be invalid if things like tongue weight are way off.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with small SUV's are that they are small. The data from Toyota or whoever manufactured the vehicle is not always based on your vehicle, so look at the door sticker. The issue is payload, how heavy of tongue weight can I put on the rear end of the vehicle. You don't want to be at the max or over it. The other issue is there enough torque to get the trailer moving and keep it moving up a hill, not to mention stop it going down a hill. Finally, the issue is stress on your vehicle. If you have to pull something life or death, or do you want your vehicle to last a few years. You can pull the space shuttle once, but do you want to have the repair bill when the transmission, suspension and other items start braking? Finally, what is the actual trailer weight. The one thing you learn on this site is that everyone thinks they know their trailer weight until they weigh it and find out it is much heavier than they thought. Not saying the Highlander can't pull a 4000 lb trailer, but do all your homework - and don't trust any salesman, they just want you to buy it then it's your problem.

Taxman2436

Holden, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you decide, hook it up and take it for a ride before you commit. “Over hill and Dale” and see how it handles. It might pull the weight but you might prefer something with more power. Just my humble opinion.

Taxman2436
Sturbridge,MA
2019 Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel
2018 Cruiser Shadow

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taxman2436 wrote:

Whatever you decide, hook it up and take it for a ride before you commit. “Over hill and Dale” and see how it handles. It might pull the weight but you might prefer something with more power. Just my humble opinion.

Good suggestion. One thing NOT to do is test towing with a more competent tow vehicle than you purchase. You will regret every mile.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kage65 wrote:

One said chance of the tail wagging the dog. Another said no way of controlling the rear end if the trailer starts rocking. Also
"2wd highlander is not geared for this payload. It could destroy your transmission"
"I wouldn’t. It will not be a fun experience with it floating all over the road"
"If it doesn’t have a separate transmission cooler(no tow package), might be issues with transmission."

Get a good sway control weight distribution hitch and drive in a reasonable manor.

Do keep the rpm up more than commuting around town. Climbing hills the rpm may go way up close to red and is mostly OK as long as you are not pushing to the max. Plenty re-gear larger trucks if it always seems to be half way between the wrong gear. You could do the same or decide to trade vehicles once you get a feel for it.

Again avoid lugging the motor and avoid hunting (excessive shifting) of the transmission. Sometimes it is best to pull the shift lever and hold your rpm and speed steady as you encounter hills with a bit of a roller coaster slope.

Drive reasonable and be OK to go a bit slower at times and you should be fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember when a Toyota pulled the space shuttle. No, really! Quite an advertising feat.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not sure how accurate it is but Wikipedia wrote its built on a camry frame. It sounds like a lot of stress for such light bones to me.

Freeway Flyer 05

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer Life tow ratings, pretty good place to start.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyota says it can pull 5,000 pounds because it can. It might not be 5,000 pounds of 22' travel trailer though. Does your owners manual give a rating for the frontal area of a trailer?

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How do you know how much you can TRULY pull?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.