Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing a 4500lb TT with an SUV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing a 4500lb TT with an SUV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a fan of towing with a small vehicle such as a mid sized SUV. I always feel like the tail is wagging the dog. I would suggest a full size SUV like a Tahoe or Yukon. We had a 2007 and it got great gas mileage on the freeway but we never towed with it. Not sure how it does towing, but a larger vehicle won't stress as much when towing like a smaller vehicle will. I also like the new 1/2 ton diesels if you are looking at a new vehicle. They get amazing gas mileage and have good towing for smaller trailers. I wouldn't suggest maxing out their towing capabilities as they don't perform well on hills with heavy loads, but should with the trailer you have. Most of us consider that the gas mileage you get with a trailer is just what you get. It the sacrifice for towing a trailer.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12mpg towing is tough for any high walled RV. The wind resistance over 60mph is more a factor than weight. Some diesels can do it. If you can find a mid-sized SUV with ~3.0l diesel, that would do it. Otherwise, 8-10mpg towing and pick your favorite gas powered mid to larger SUV.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are your future plans regarding RVing ?

I ask for this reason.
We're on our 4th travel trailer and with each purchase a more formidable tow vehicle had to also be purchased.....yes stubborn.

If your planning to upgrade trailer, jump to a 2500 series truck and be done.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whats the budget? shopping new or used? Id think an expidition will be your ticket though at near double the price of an f150 that would do just as well) if not better id suggest learning to like a truck. My wife did exactly that with mine since we couldnt justify the expidition she wanted. Now she loves my f150 (much more than her explorer)

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

JWF

Roseville,Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a 4000lb with a GMC 6.0 eng. Yukon Denali. It does a great job. You will lose speed on hills.
You need to keep the transmission out of second gear on up grades. The mileage is never over 11 mpg. When I retired I bought the Yukon, I bought van conversions until then. They pulled GREAT.
But the price is so high I can’t afford one more.

MichJoe
Roseville, Mich

krobbe

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Forest River Wildwood 170SSX FSX has a 79sqft frontal area and is 23ft long.
As you've discovered, your Honda Pilot can move it. Just not at highway speeds and up or down grades without excessive wear and tear and frayed nerves.
A large SUV with a V8 or Ecoboost will have the horse power and torque to move that frontal area at highway speeds and up/down grades more easily. Some good choices for that size trailer is Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL, and Expedition/EL.
I've heard that the longer Suburban/Yukon XL and Exp EL tow better than the shorter SUV's. Expect anywhere from 6 to 10 mpg from any gasoline engine while towing and you won't be disappointed.
As this is a 3rd vehicle for you, mileage shouldn't be much of an issue as it isn't a daily driver. My "vacation only" Suburban towing a 7500lb 34ft trailer averages 9mpg.

Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

sam22

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A newer Grand Cherokee will work perfectly. We towed our 5000lb+ trailer with a 2015 V6 for 10 000+km all over Canada and the US. We upgraded to the V8 a few years later and it was better for towing, but the V6 still did the job no problem. I don’t think you’ll find anything in your fuel mileage range. When towing we’d get around 9-12mpg depending on conditions with the V6. The V8 does better but not much.

Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the Canyon/Colorado pickups from General Motors with the 4 cylinder Duramax diesel. As I recall, Trailer Life magazine tested one with a Lance trailer behind it and reported results similar to what you are looking for. Mid size and available canopies may fill your other needs as well.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What mileage are you getting?
When towing, usually a big V8 with a lot of power, though it get horrible mpg's regularly, it will get good mpg compared to a smaller eco motor that has to work too hard when towing...
Do math, you will drive the vehicle more as a non-tow for regular life than you will for towing, ??? So, the over-all scheme is that the non-towing mpg will matter more than towing probably.

It is less safe to have that Pilot towing at the top of it's rated range, than using a big truck or suv to tow at the low end of its range, but...

If the Pilot is towing it, though slow on hills and white knuckle at speed, then it may be cheaper to rag this vehicle out to the end of its life than to sell it and buy another vehicle.

Any of the mid-sized trucks will tow this just fine (Tocoma, Frontier, Jeep, Colorado...) and their suv versions should be the same.

Diesels will get better mpg almost always, but diesel is now $1 more per gallon plus DEF for newer diesels, so that gain is lost in cost.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2016 f150 5L (super crew and 4x4)
wife has a 2017 explorer (3,5 NA)

mine:
was cheaper to buy (both bought new at end of the year)
is cheaper to insure
gets better gas milage (even with the 5L by quite a bit)
has more room
does more stuff
has a bigger backseat for the kids
tows better

last tow vehicle was a V8 jeep WJ (older grand cherokee)

and that's all with the 5.0L and the 6 speed.
current models are 10 speed, pairing that to the 3.5 eco is about as much fun as you can get out of a half ton.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing a 4500lb TT with an SUV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.