cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new travel trailer-first time buyer

Bfonner
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy our first bunkhouse travel trailer. I contacted the local dealership and they said the sticker price is $16,425. I don’t even know how to negotiate a travel trailer. I know this is pretty inexpensive as far as RV’s go, but how low can I expect them to go? Also, what else is going to be included in the price when I go to finalize the deal? I know we need to consider the anti-sway. Is there anything else? Thanks for all your help! I feel so ignorant about this process!
22 REPLIES 22

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Bfonner wrote:
Thank you for all your help!
We are pulling it with an SUV with a 5000lb towing capacity. The TT has a dry weight of 3455 lbs. Do you think it is ok?

The gross weight of the camper is more important than the dry weight.
The payload (cargo carrying capacity) is more important than towing capacity.
Make and model of the TV w/ engine and transmission will help.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
LadyRVer wrote:
Add on's.... dealer prep fees, tag/title fees, sales tax, GAP insurance if you finance and choose it... someone already mentioned an Extended Warranty ... (think twice or 3 times!)

And, if you finance, certain lenders require GAP insurance.

If you need GAP insurance that tells you the camper is worth less than the loan amount.

Not necessarily. Small down payments will sometimes trigger the GAP insurance requirement. It covers the lender for the duration of the loan. In the event of a total loss, it reimburses the lender for the difference between the actual cash value of the unit and the balance owed on the loan. In the event of a total loss, it has nothing to do with the actual loan value at time of purchase.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Bfonner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your help!
We are pulling it with an SUV with a 5000lb towing capacity. The TT has a dry weight of 3455 lbs. Do you think it is ok?

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bfonner,

I know you asked about price and how to negotiate. Don't feel like you have to rush in. Take your time and find something you are comfortable with. Learn from this community - you'll find a lot of information and opinions that can be helpful.

You may want to consider learning about how to do a walkthrough so you know if the camper you are looking at is a good one. Even with the same brand and model, there can be big differences in how well built each unit is.

At some dealerships, you may find multiples of the one you want. Before starting to negotiate price, do a thorough inspection of the actual unit you are interested in. Does it seem well made? Is the caulk where it should be? Is there rust on any parts?

Price is also not the only consideration. Does the salesperson you are dealing with seem decent. Will you get support after the sale? Some RV salespeople and dealers are actually good to work with. Rather than a specific percentage discount, consider working with your salesperson to get to a mutually agreeable deal.

I tried to capture some of our RV shopping lessons learned in: Seven RV Shopping Warning Signs

Hope that helps.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
LadyRVer wrote:
Add on's.... dealer prep fees, tag/title fees, sales tax, GAP insurance if you finance and choose it... someone already mentioned an Extended Warranty ... (think twice or 3 times!)

And, if you finance, certain lenders require GAP insurance.

If you need GAP insurance that tells you the camper is worth less than the loan amount.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Not sure if this is your first RV (not just first bunkhouse), but I strongly recommend you rent a trailer for a couple of weekends to see if the family really enjoys it.
This more then anything. Countless RV'S are bought and sold for a loss after people find this isn't their thing.

And they find it's to big or to small. We bought a used trailer that was one year old. To small for them perfect for us, plus we'd rented both trailers and Class C motorhomes so we knew what we liked.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ya'll scared the OP away.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely get the out the door price. Do not get hung up on dealer prep fees, tax, etc. Do not discuss financing (if going that route) until you have the OTD price.
Start at least at 33% off their MSRP.
Have you considered a used unit?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Along with what others have offered. Look on RV trader Use the advanced search button and select the exact make model, and year you are looking at, and start comparing the deals.
Some dealers on there will add as much as $2500 in fee's and add ons such as transportation, Dealer prep, Walkthrough and administrative fees. Some small mom and pop dealers price theirs out the door with no BS fees. Those are usually clearly marked in their websites, and make comparing a little easier.
You will find a wide range of prices, so compare apples to apples and see what your dealer is actually offering.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:

Thinking twice, or 3 times, might be a good overall idea, but some of the things you mention aren't really "add-ons". Tax/title fees and sales tax are unavoidable --- no choice --- unless you've found a way around them??. And, if you finance, certain lenders require GAP insurance. You can't paint the topic with such a wide brushstroke.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Ask questions here, wade through the answers, plenty of people here who have done that and have advice.

Find the camper you want, look up prices on the internet, if the salesman is close in price, ask them to add in a few things (fresh water hoses, maybe extra length of "shore power" cord, etc), and buy it. Don't look back and go and enjoy your new camper.

You will get better advice if you list what campers you are interested in, and also what vehicle you are going to use to tow it.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to get "the best deal". Someone, somewhere, will have paid less than you, and someone else will have paid more than you.

Get you camper and go enjoy it!

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Www.rvtrader.com
Great website to check prices. On mine, base price ended up $11,500, where many were listing $16-20,000. And the selling dealer had a 2019 model in April 2018 with a larger refrigerator.
You can plug in exact model, state, and or distance from you. I bought my TT about 180 miles away in another state.
Check out Utube videos for the model you want. Or might want. Lots of good reviews there. Don't be sold on the first nice new shiny model you find. 😉
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Not sure if this is your first RV (not just first bunkhouse), but I strongly recommend you rent a trailer for a couple of weekends to see if the family really enjoys it.
This more then anything. Countless RV'S are bought and sold for a loss after people find this isn't their thing.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best advice I can give you is that people rarely by an RV and keep it 10 years. Buy used, then if you change your mind you wont' get hammered by depreciation.